View Full Version : Marine Recruiting Office in Berkley, CA - classic

JohnR
03-14-2008, 12:42 PM
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=163653&title=marines-in-berkeley

This is just a classic - BTW the reporter is/was a Marine Major on active and reserve status :hihi:

spence
03-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Just goes to prove my point earlier about how absurd the whole knee jerk reaction to this story really was...

And very, very amusing :hihi:

-spence

stripersnipr
03-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Just goes to prove my point earlier about how absurd the whole knee jerk reaction to this story really was...

And very, very amusing :hihi:

-spence

What would the proper response be in your world?

thortum
03-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I would love to see all the"Berkleyites" spend one year VACATIONING in a country like Iraq [especially the women]. After a very short while I'm sure that they would appreciate being in the company of many MARINES.

RIJIMMY
03-14-2008, 07:31 PM
that was great john, thanks.
When I worked in SF, my office was in the same building as Feinstein's. There used to be protests outside every week. It was funny.
I've actually eaten at Crepes a go go a few times.
Wouldnt it be great if there was an organization that actually protected free speech?

spence
03-14-2008, 07:40 PM
What would the proper response be in your world?
What is my world?

-spence

gldnbear93
03-14-2008, 08:11 PM
AAAAHHHHH the town of my alma mater.

I spent 4 years in that town. I had a ball at that place in college, but it is the most hypocritical town I have experienced.

Many of the members of these groups are not non violent. You should have seen the riots in that town over far less than a recuiting station.

"F*** the Police" is a common theme and slogan in that town., but I have seen those same people complain and moan about the crime in the town (not the drugs, but the rape, assault and murder that has ocurred there).

I was there when the university built volleyball courts at People's Park. I have never been called worse things or been threatened with more violence than when I played on those courts.

I was in Berkeley when our country went into Gulf War I. I could not believe the vitriol spewed by many of the people in that town. The disrespect and hatred that so many people there espoused toward and about our men and women in the service (not just the "no war for oil" nonsense) was disgraceful and shameful.

My parents are died in wool liberal democrats and I made the mistake of volunteering for the Dukakis campaign when I was in high school. I went into college a lefty, and was so disillusioned and disgusted by what I saw there that I emerged 180 degrees from when I went in.

The bay area is a lot of fun and like I said I had a great time when I was in college there. I still have friends in that town and I try to keep up with the happenings there, but it seems to be getting more and more ridiculous and pathetic.

That may be what Spence is referring to when he writes of the overreaction. How can anyone take those fools seriously? If we don't react and make sure that there is repercussion (loss of earmark funding, potential loss of other federal funding) for such lunacy, they are emboldened and become even more hostile. The city council actually reserved a parking space for code pink so they could more easily access the protest area (God-wait Gaia-Mother Earth-forbid that they use the BART, bike or walk there instead of using a car-maybe they used a Prius). I have seen it first hand. You all see what happenned when the threat of loss of projects faced that council-they capitulated. They are chickens at heart. The problem is that that area of the country holds alot of sway right now with Pelosi as the Speaker. She is a San Fransisco liberal right across the bay from Berkeley.

spence
03-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Exactly.

A bunch of "dressed in pink" spouting nonsense are a threat to the US Marines?

I had thought our military people were a bit tougher than that.

Did this story pretty much go away? Yea, I thought so...

-spence

RIJIMMY
03-14-2008, 08:23 PM
duuuuh, but that wasnt the issue though was it spence?
thats NOT what was reported, was it?

the ISSUE was that the Berkely City Council (aka the government) voted to KICK OUT THE MARINE RECRUITING station. it wasnt code pink protesting.

gldnbear93
03-14-2008, 08:36 PM
A "threat" to our Marines? No.

However, the city council gave special perks to code pink specifically to protest this recruiting station (a free and clear reserved parking space-and parking is at a premiuim in that town and the whole bay area). The city council called the Marines unwelcome and unwanted (paraphrased) visitors to the town. The council was trying everything they could to force the Marines out of the town and stifle the speech of the Marine Corps.

This story went away on a national level for a several reasons, not the least of which is, that like most stories, they have a short shelf life in today's media. Also, the council capitulated in the face of growing national and political pressure and rescinded the letter it was to send to the Marine Corps. That removed some of the "sexiness" of the story. On a local level, this story continues on.

I try to stay quiet on most of the poltical arguments, because I don't feel its worth a lot of time to fuss about something over the internet, but this situation really pisses me off, probably because I knew the town and frankly still have a tremendous attachment to CAL--thus the gldnbear93 moniker!

GO BEARS!!

gldnbear93
03-14-2008, 08:37 PM
rijimmy---you have faster fingers

spence
03-14-2008, 08:38 PM
If memory serves me correct, Code Pink ran to action to shore up the City Council...but it's all pretty silly.

You're talking about an an anomaly, and thank god we have them. Yes, they might seem crazy to "most" but on that rare occasion they bring a moment of rationality they just might earn their worth.

-spence

RIJIMMY
03-14-2008, 08:39 PM
thats what I've been told

The Dad Fisherman
03-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Best line in the whole video...

'Don't you wish you had a group that protected your right to free speech"

and the Dipchit actually answers "yes, yes i do"

idiot(s)

kevin d
03-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Exactly.

-spence

I don't know any Marines that felt threatened by them. All the Marines I know who even cared about it thought it was pretty funny.
The great thing about ensuring people's right to free speech is that they use it, sometimes providing unintentional humor.

kevin d
03-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Exactly.

-spence
None of the Marines I know felt threatened by them. Those that even cared thought it was amusing. The funny thing about ensuring the right to free speech is that people will use that right, sometimes providing unintentional humor.

JohnR
03-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Exactly.

-spence

They aren't threatened. Why would you think they were threatened? I've seen some active duty / retired service members a little disappointed that their service went in to protecting the free speech of some of the Code Pink nitwits (you really couldn't make that video up ::laugha: ) . Most of them laughed their buttocks off. In some ways, that video is a great validation on who the morons are...

None of the Marines I know felt threatened by them. Those that even cared thought it was amusing. The funny thing about ensuring the right to free speech is that people will use that right, sometimes providing unintentional humor.