View Full Version : the obama factor

RIJIMMY
03-14-2008, 07:43 PM
thoughts on this? The excerpts I heard on the radio were worse.
I try to be pretty open minded, BO not only went to this church for 20yrs, he was married by this guy, his daughters baptised by this guy and BO wrote a book inspired by one of his sermons!
I'd have a hard time dismissing the connection and I think this will bring Obama down. Its a shame really, race should not be a factor, but its always seems it not the whites that make race a factor? I been to lot of different religious services, and I've never heard a white religious leader talk like this. The only time I've heard hate spewed like this was from the KKK or Nazis. sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M-kD0QdRJk

spence
03-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Compared to the hate spewed by Pat Robertson, Faldwell or countless other Christian groups?

Granted I'm not even an Obama supporter, but I think this is a silly non issue.

Or more imporantly...

WELCOME TO BLACK AMERICA.

-spence

RIJIMMY
03-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Spence, if you went to church and you heard the pastor talking like that about blacks, wouldnt you walk out? Would you go back,,,,year after year?

There are lots of white religious nuts, but have any presidential candidates in the last 60 years been part of their church.

I disagree that that is black america and actually think thats a pretty ignorant remark from you. I lived all over the US and as a fanatical blues and jazz fan, I have been in places most white people wouldnt walk into. I've never, ever been subjected to the racism that reverend is spewing.
I want a country of tolerance and respect. this country has NEVER supported extremism in any form.

spence
03-14-2008, 08:32 PM
I travel a lot for business and I've head that kind of rhetoric on the radio all across this country when you have a high black population. Seems like there's still a lot of frustration out there be it "justified" in your eyes or not.

And to be honest, if you were to look at the words of religious nuts that have endorsed candidates (gasp, even the GOP) for president I think you might be astounded by what they have said.

Even John McCain (whom I currently support) has had some endorsements by people whom I abhor.

Deal with it.

-spence

RIJIMMY
03-14-2008, 08:46 PM
are you not getting the point? this was not someone who endorsed him, those quotes and passages are from his sermons, whihc Obama attended every week! did he have turrets and sound off every few weeks and the rest of the time he actullay preached the message of Jesus?

I dont have to deal with it, and neither will America. Months ago it was leaked by the Clinton campaign that they had something big on Obama - well here it is. Just in time for the re-match on the FLorida and Michigan primaries. How convenient. For democrats, the liberal free thinkers, isnt it intersting how race is playing such a big role in your process? there is NO way in the world Obama can come back, and like I said, its a shame. My 38 years on this planet I have seen more racism from black america then white america. in your words spence, its time to deal with it, this country gives nothing to no one, and all races and ethnicities came to this country and busted there butts to get ahead.

spence
03-14-2008, 08:52 PM
are you not getting the point? this was not someone who endorsed him, those quotes and passages are from his sermons, whihc Obama attended every week! did he have turrets and sound off every few weeks and the rest of the time he actullay preached the message of Jesus?

I dont have to deal with it, and neither will America. Months ago it was leaked by the Clinton campaign that they had something big on Obama - well here it is. Just in time for the re-match on the FLorida and Michigan primaries. How convenient. For democrats, the liberal free thinkers, isnt it intersting how race is playing such a big role in your process? there is NO way in the world Obama can come back, and like I said, its a shame. My 38 years on this planet I have seen more racism from black america then white america. in your words spence, its time to deal with it, this country gives nothing to no one, and all races and ethnicities came to this country and busted there butts to get ahead.

Wow, you're really off of the deep end here...

So who do you trust more to define a man, Barak Obama or some (edited to maximize impact) clips of a minister on YouTube?

Instead of commenting on a third party, why don't you critique the MAN?

-spence

RIJIMMY
03-14-2008, 09:05 PM
i critique the man for going to a church that spews racist garbage. I criticize any human being that would let a human being that holds those beliefs come within 2 feet of their children, never mind baptize them. Who we associate with is a reflection of who we are.

spence
03-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Who we associate with is a reflection of who we are.
Good, I'm going to hold you to that.

-spence

spence
03-14-2008, 09:46 PM
By the way, has Obama associated himself with those comments or rejected them?

-spence

03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Obama is toast, the only question is can Hillary catch him and get the nomination? I will tell you if Obama is the nominee he is finished, Republicans will run ads tying him to the thoughts and beliefs of this insane racist pastor. If Obama and his Wife did not agree with some of the rants he would not have attended this church for so long period. IMO it is about time the media has looked at this guy.

Fishpart
03-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Those of us in LIBERAL New England don't realize that Racisim is alive and well.

As recently as 1999 I was visiting some quite successful African American friends in Richmond, VA and I didn't understand why it was taking so long for us to be served in the resturant we were in. Itever crossed my mind that racisim wa sinvolved, but my firend later explained that he deals with it routinely.. Don't be fooled, some deal with it every day.