View Full Version : It never gets any easier..

Katie
03-18-2008, 06:56 AM
I went to school with this guy all up until high school, he sat next to me in a lot of my classes. We lost another good guy. :(

FALL RIVER — The Diman community is mourning the loss of one of its students following a weekend skiing accident.
Andrew Dumont, a 17-year-old senior from Westport, died Sunday following the incident at Wachusett Mountain in Princeton.
Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School Superintendent/Director Rogerio Ramos said Dumont was skiing with family Sunday and hit a tree.
“He was a good kid, a good, good, kid,” Ramos said of Dumont, who was a hockey player and took classes in the metal fabrication shop.
Flo Lima, Diman’s hockey coach, said Dumont gave his all in the classroom and on the ice.
“He was a great kid,” Lima said. “I know everyone says that about someone they had coached, but he was just a good human being.”
Lima said he elevated Dumont to the rank of team captain halfway through the past hockey season.
“He did his business in school, and when it came to hockey he always went out and did his job,” Lima said. “He was a great leader and a great human being. Andrew going to be sadly missed.”
Wachusett Mountain General Manager David Crowley said ski patrol units responded to Dumont at 11:30 a.m. on a section of the ski mountain called the lower balance rock trail.
Crowley said first aid was administered at the mountain before Dumont was taken to Leominster Hospital where he was then airlifted to the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester.
That trail, Crowley said, was built in the 1930s and is one of the original passages on the mountain. He said it ranks as an intermediate level trail.
Crowley said that in the past 25 years there have been four fatalities on the mountain, not including Dumont’s death.
“This is a very sad time for the patrol on scene and a very difficult time for all of us and I’m sure the family,” Crowley said.
Diman officials have established the Andrew Dumont Memorial Fund. Diman Assistant Superintendent/Principal Brian Bentley said a friend of Dumont’s, from their days as students at Westport Middle School, came to Diman Monday morning asking to post pictures of Dumont around the school with a message asking for donations.
Bentley said a change jar was placed in the school and by the end of the day Monday the fund had gotten off to a good start. He said a Wachusett Mountain official had also contacted the school to express his sympathies and offer a contribution. The hockey team is also planning to raise money for the fund.
Bentley said all funds will be given to Dumont’s family to do as they please.
Bentley had received word of Dumont’s death Sunday night and provided school counselors with notice of the situation before school started Monday. Students were notified during morning announcements, Ramos said, and a moment of silence was held.
Ramos described the mood around the school, which serves students from Fall River, Somerset, Swansea and Westport, as solemn.
He said Dumont was known as a good student and noted he was recently recognized as a Hobey Baker Award winner for his efforts on the hockey team.
“They give the award to the student athlete that shows perseverance, a commitment to community and sportsmanship, and I think that says it all about this young man,” Ramos said.
Bentley, like many others at Diman, described Dumont as a model student and person. He used words such as “pleasant” and “respectful” in remembering the senior.
“He was a good kid, there’s no other way to say it,” Bentley said. “He was one of those people who was very likable. ... He was just a good kid that would do anything for you.”
A sophomore teammate on Diman’s hockey team, who asked his name not be used, said, “He was an exceptional kid and a good friend. He respected everybody and never messed with anyone. This is just a big loss to the community.”

Swimmer
03-18-2008, 10:02 AM
I am sorry for your loss Katie.

Saltheart
03-18-2008, 10:32 AM
That's a shame. i think there have been several recent bad injuries/deaths there? I wonder why? So much more terrain at places like Killington but i hear more about people getting hammered at wachusett than anywhere.

Rappin Mikey
03-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Sorry to hear the news Katie. Ts & Ps to his family and friends

Jenn
03-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Sorry for your loss Katie..:(

JohnR
03-19-2008, 06:40 AM
Sorry to hear on your friend Katie. Too good, too young, far too young.

HESH2
03-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Sorry about your friend katie

Katie
03-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the support guys. :)