View Full Version : line brand ideas.. my minds overloaded by choices..

GonnaCatchABig1
03-23-2008, 11:55 PM
i know i'm gonna stick with 50# power pro on my main set up and my chunk tosser.. but i have a smaller set up that i want to spool with 20# mono or fluoro. preferably low vis. but there are soooooooooo many choices. in the past i have used almost exclusively berkley trilene. so i am leaning back towards that. since i know it.

i know there must be some better/interesting enough options out there to check out besides trilene. i also know theres tons of CRAP. i'm trying to look at them all and taking notes but there are just so many. it's also really hard to tell the crap from the good stuff with out actually using it or at least having it in hand.
chances are im gonna be pickin it up and having it put on at a local b&t. but i'd like to have an idea of what i'm goin in for and what to look for. instead of just winging it like i always do when i get line.

GonnaCatchABig1
03-23-2008, 11:57 PM
actually any one have any experience with the berkley vanish transition line in crimson red at 20#test?

and no cajun red.. was not a big fan... i'd also prefer something that has a higher abrasion resistance than the average.

ilovetwofish
03-24-2008, 03:15 AM
For me I dont think I will ever use mono again for my plugging rods.I was going to use suffix 50# braid for my heavy stuff untill I got to the counter and was told $38.00 for 300 yards went with pp 50lbs.

plankton
03-24-2008, 05:37 AM
I use braid on most of my stuff, but I do favor mono for dedicated bait rigs. Check out Hi Seas Black Widow or Ande Backcountry, both great lines with low memory and high abrasion resistance, mush better than Big Game imho.

BigBo
03-24-2008, 06:02 AM
You'll probably get a lot of varying responses as to what is good, what is best, etc. The problem you're going to find is that through no fault of their own, a lot of your local B&T's will not have a wide variety of brands in bulk spools available to take care of each and every customer. Some will carry a variety for you to buy and test for yourself, but what they carry in bulk for spooling is typically what pleases the majority.
There's just so many choices these days that it's really difficult for them to have it all readily available.
Get some recommendations and then trial and error. Find what works best for you.

OffTheHook13
03-24-2008, 06:06 AM
There are so many lines out there now, braids, monos and fluoros.

Each line has it's pros and it's cons.

I am a Power-Pro fan, but I have recently tried Ugly Braid from Shakespeare and it isn't bad.

I have also heard good things about Suffix though I haven't tried it yet. It is a bit pricey though.

For mono, Ande is the only one I use. But that isn't to say that the others aren't good.

It's really a matter of preference and what you feel confident in.

JohnR
03-24-2008, 06:41 AM
I think people beat up themselves by over analyzing line choices. There is a time for braid and a time for mono, for braid I usually go with the Power Pro but I'm going to give Suffix a whirl this year. For mono, always been a fan of Berkley Big Game Green.

Keep your choices relatively simple, make good knots, and check and replace out nicked line while your fishing. Once you are fishing, your main concern should be the fishing with obvious checks of your line's condition. But worry about the fishing and not the line.

fishbones
03-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Check out this thread. It may help your decision.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=45238&highlight=mono+line

BigFish
03-24-2008, 10:20 AM
I have always been a mono guy! However I am planning on trying braid on my new conventional plug rod......sticking with mono on the others...for now! Cost is an issue.....I think I get more bang for my buck sticking with mono! Braid at $30-$40 to spool up does not thrill me.....also I get a better feel for my plugs with the mono! But gonna try it anyway! I will be trying the PP! I use Berkley Big Game green also......15 pound for me!

parker23
03-24-2008, 11:13 AM
If you are going to use a braided line use Sufix braid. I have used Sufix for the last 2 seasons and love the stuff. PP had too many mystery line breaks while casting. I use 30 and 50# on all of my conv. casting and bait rods. The line lays flat on the spool. Rats nests are becoming fewer and break offs are RARE. I buy the 1500 yard spool, its the best bang for the buck.

Mike P
03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Vanish is garbage. :yak6:

GonnaCatchABig1
03-24-2008, 05:25 PM
thanks for the link and other responses.. i guess i will be trying out the back country first, then the big game. since i have a fairly good idea of berkleys quality and performance. i'll give the underdog the first shot.

i already have the pp guaranteed on the two heavier rigs. i want mono on the smaller one cause i dont want to be using anything lighter than pp40. other wise its like a cheese wire on the finger. so i'm putting mono on the little one.
but..we have had the exact opposite results between that and suffix. my buddy went with suffix for a while and he had to respool in about a week due to many large amounts of line being broken off in places in situations where pp would hold up. i don't think you can beat pp50's strength. we've had many snag ups with it where everything would back in one piece, except the hook. snapped clear in half. and we would very rarely give it nick clippings. it just held up. suffix on the other hand, if it snagged up with a little fray it would snap. and frayed like crazy.

and john i know!! but i gotta be thinking of something NOW. come actual fishing i wont care. just trying to keep my mind in it going into the season. not much else to do now but wait and think. :cheers:

Gary
03-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Ive always had good luck with Ande and bad luck with Berkley

tattoobob
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Line in my opinion, you have 2 choices

Braid, power pro
Mono, Berkley Big Game

Frankiesurf
03-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Fireline is the way to go. Less wind knots, no break offs. Fireline has the highest strength test out of any 20 or 50 lb line. Check out his tests at doug olander line tests (http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/natural-baits-and-terminal-rigs/at-the-breaking-point-43557.html)
Go to the comprehensive test link for the results. It really is quite an eye opener.

wheresmy50
03-25-2008, 11:10 AM
I anguished over the same thing last month. It was between Big Game, Backcountry, and the varios Sufix monos. It doesn't help that all of the Sufix mono lines are basically described the same on their web site, the only difference being "abraision resistant", "soft", and "manageable" (or something like that) are used in different order to describe the different types.

In the end I went with Big Game 20, mostly because I was making a Cabelas order and they didn't have BC.

Before that I used 30# Magna Thin, which I was happy with. The only reason I didn't get it again is Cabelas didn't have the big spool.

Overall I'm pretty disgusted by the way line is marketed. Just tell me the actual breaking strength, diameter, material, stiffness, and abraision resistance in some kind of objective way. There are well-defined ways to test all of these. Instead they market new colors and ficticious/ambiguous properties.

Nebe
03-25-2008, 02:36 PM
cortland masterbraid :humpty:

tattoobob
03-25-2008, 03:22 PM
:smash: Ask 20 people and your going to get 20 different answers :smash:

freebie
03-25-2008, 06:30 PM
if it's the rod I'm thinking of with the reel I'm thinking of Bubba then I'dgo 14 or 15 lb max

ShipWrecked
03-25-2008, 06:57 PM
try dental floss Bubba

GonnaCatchABig1
03-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I anguished over the same thing last month. It was between Big Game, Backcountry, and the varios Sufix monos. It doesn't help that all of the Sufix mono lines are basically described the same on their web site, the only difference being "abraision resistant", "soft", and "manageable" (or something like that) are used in different order to describe the different types.

In the end I went with Big Game 20, mostly because I was making a Cabelas order and they didn't have BC.

Before that I used 30# Magna Thin, which I was happy with. The only reason I didn't get it again is Cabelas didn't have the big spool.

Overall I'm pretty disgusted by the way line is marketed. Just tell me the actual breaking strength, diameter, material, stiffness, and abraision resistance in some kind of objective way. There are well-defined ways to test all of these. Instead they market new colors and ficticious/ambiguous properties.

thats exactly the problem i'm having!

and freebie i was thinkin that.. depends on what i can find.. o haven't fished anythign under 20 in a loong time.. i want to ween myself back on to it.

freebie
03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
was wondering when you were gonna chime in Jim, can't leave the poor kid alone, can you?

GonnaCatchABig1
03-25-2008, 07:10 PM
was wondering when you were gonna chime in Jim, can't leave the poor kid alone, can you?

i was wondering too.. i was amazed how long this thread lasted before he got here.. :tooth:

freebie
03-25-2008, 07:19 PM
too bad neither of you can catch a keeper...would be nice to see someone else get one sometime......hehe.....

ShipWrecked
03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Freebie all I hear the same bs from you.:deadhorse::deadhorse: At least Bubba got a good stick. I probably get one at the end of this season.

freebie
03-25-2008, 07:35 PM
that he did, he's catching up to me in ho dept, still a long way from you and the other Jim though, I think I might be good where I am for now though except plugs and a restored 704z

ShipWrecked
03-25-2008, 07:44 PM
I am nowhere near done hoing. Hey Jim is looking to sale the white lami. Bubba go with Ande backcountry. I going to spool most of my reels with that. And a few other with PP.:btu::btu:

freebie
03-25-2008, 07:48 PM
he better offer it up to me like he said ne would, or no boat trips for him....

ShipWrecked
03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
He offered to me but I passed. I told him to offer it to you. He said he selling to get some cash. He said wants to make another trip to ri to get more rods.

freebie
03-25-2008, 08:04 PM
he redefines the word ho, he'd sell himself for a rod if anyone would pay him.....

ShipWrecked
03-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey when you are hooked you are hooked.