View Full Version : Last couple of weeks

RoyL
03-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I always feel bad putting up freshwater reports on here, but it seems like you guys don't mind much while the stripers arn't all over the place. This year has been a great freshwater bass bite. So I took advatage of it. Some days went as muchas 15-25 bass in an outing and a 7lb 2oz largie on Valentines day, not bad for winter. most of the fish came on crankbaits and jerkbaits. The last couple of weeks have really got things going with many fish to 5lbs and a monster 6lb 4oz pickerel...Got to love the Cape. Trout & salmon fishing has also been good even before the recent stockings, as many of you might have seen in my videos from this past winter. Well enough talk here's some pictures of this winter

RoyL
03-24-2008, 08:52 PM
7lb 2oz Largie from valentines day..fiance was real happy when I showed up home at 7:30 pm..lol

RoyL
03-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Couple of fives

BMEUPSCOTTY
03-24-2008, 08:57 PM
nice fish roy!:bounce:

RoyL
03-24-2008, 09:00 PM
6lb 4oz pick and a 2+lb Brookie from this weekend

trigga
03-24-2008, 09:36 PM
nice pics..

patpatriot
03-24-2008, 11:09 PM
That looks like one mean Pickeral! Wish I could catch one that size, great pictures. I finally bought a digital camera recently and can't wait to start shooting, even though there not stripers I still appreciate them : )

ilovetwofish
03-25-2008, 03:30 AM
That makes me want to break out the freshy stuff and hit the ponds.

OffTheHook13
03-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Nice.

fishsmith
03-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Good to see 'Sponge Bob' is having another banner year.
Great pics, thats all I need to see, today I'll blow off the chores I had planned and will fish.

protty31
03-25-2008, 06:52 AM
Very nice :humpty:

Rockport24
03-25-2008, 09:27 AM
great fish Roy, always love your reports.
by the way, nice article this past week about swimbaits... I thought we were bad overhere with the custom plugs, but $60 for a swimbait???

The Dad Fisherman
03-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Nice Fish....that pickerel must have been a blast. I finally got out yesterday and wet a line.....that was it just wet the line :hee:

MarshCappa
03-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Very Inspiring. Need to get out soon!

ProfessorM
03-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Great pictures. I wish I had your ambition.

Flaptail
03-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Roy, do you ever work? hahahahaha I am jealous to say the least!

You got a good woman there you know, better make it legit before she gets away!

I got a pickerel the same size through the ice in 94' trouble was as I was lifting mine through the hole twenty feet away a friend named Greg Fulp was playing another one that when weighed went 7.5 lbs and took the state that year.

I was second with the 6lb 4oz. for that year. Only fish I ever entered for a pin. We kept wondering why the brook trout we were catching thru the ice there had large bite marks from what looked like sharp teeth!

We did catch an 18 inch brown trout later that day with a set of teeth marks that was bigger across than the two pickerel we had on the ice!

Go get em! Theres some bigger ones than that in these Cape Ponds!

mikeyb
03-25-2008, 10:58 AM
hey check me out, my first post.

i am very new here and pretty new to fishing. this is a GREAT message board so i thought i'd register and say Hi.

RoyL those are some kickass fish!

I am near you - in Dot. Thought I'd pose the question even though i'm not sure of the proper courtesy: where are you fishing? You mention the Cape, are all of those photos from the Cape?

Hope it's cool for me to ask. I am really looking to ramp up my fishing this year as i - and my wife - are falling deeply in love with it. Looking to get any pointers on the area we're in!!!

Thanks, nice to meet you all.

~MikeyB

hummy22
03-25-2008, 12:23 PM
i'm dissapointed that only 1 of the many fish you caught were on spongebob. great pics though.

RoyL
03-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys...Sponge Bob has had a few others this winter..lol. Every year I pick a few fishing goals and species to realy target. For me this year it was a big Pickeral over 6-1/2lbs( I came close and now with most in there spawning ritual and dropping eggs, it looks like I will have to settle for the 6.4) also looking for a largemouth 10lbs or better(not easy) in the freshwater scene. On the salt I look forward to learne my back yard for stripers. I have never realy liked the Canal, but now that I live in buttermilk bay I think I have no choice, but poke my head around. Even tho it's a blast you will see a little less of Sponge Bob yes this year I will be taking it back to my roots and fishing with a Cuban Yo-Yo for excitement. Should make for some good video plus I have some other pretty funny stuff I want to do on video as well.

Flap: Those are monsters, I love fishing for them. They have the reputation of bluefish in the fresh and most people don't like them, but there is no other fish in our freshwater that will be as cooperative as pickeral at any time of the season.

MikeyB_ all those fish came from over the bridge though it's always good to send people a Pm when asking questions like that, but I don't mind helping. I no longer live in Hyde Park, but if it's fresh water your looking for id say Jamaica Pond, Charles river, & Houghton's pond to name a few that have some great fishing. Boston Harbor has alot of access now that they have made all the new parks. Carson Beach can get pretty hot and working artaficials early in the morning can pay off pretty well at times with both bass & blues and Walliston beach. Both Jamaica Pond & Houghton's should be stocked with trout soon and then followed by salmon at Jamaica pond. Honestly the best advise I can give you is getting out and fishing those places every thing else will follow...Good luck out there

I added a couple more picks from this winter and the bass was from this afternoon on my way home from work...yes I work..lol Honestly about 40-60 hours a week I just don't sleep. Also a link to The video of my Valentines day Largie for those how havent seen it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YbMb9UJV-U4

numbskull
03-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Great pictures. I wish I had your ambition.

Never mind ambition, I wish I had his skill. Incredible.

Rockport24
03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Roy, nice vid! when the hell are they going to give you a fishing show? I would call versus if I were you, either that or convince the OTW guys to get you on more shows!

mikeyb
03-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Hey RoyL - thanks ALOT! I appreciate your response...

Great fish, dude... Good luck this year!

mikeyb
03-26-2008, 07:56 AM
In fact, joining this board yesterday and seeing your pics encouraged me to get out - went down to Ponkapoag Pond at about 6, had 1/2 hour to throw in from the shore. Ended up catching a couple small pickerel (a foot or less) and this little largemouth. Wasn't much, but felt good to start off this year!
http://www.alternasite.com/fish/mbbass.jpg

THANKS AGAIN!