View Full Version : question about wading boots

Rockport24
03-26-2008, 09:58 AM
hey guys, I'm switching to stockingfoot waders this year because they will fit me better (this is a sign I need to lose weight, when the "normal" boot-foot waders in my shoe size are too small) I should have joined the "portly angler"
anyways....so now I need to get some wading boots.
this might be a stupid question, but do I need to get them a size larger or something or are they usually made to compensate for the bulkier neopreme stocking attached to the waders or is the stocking not that bulky?
thanks guys... oh man striper fever is coming to a head!

JFigliuolo
03-26-2008, 10:18 AM
They are oversized. If you wear a 10 shoe, a 10 wader boot should fit. 10.5 go up to 11.

The Dad Fisherman
03-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Try'em on while your at the store.

I need some new wading boots this year myself.

spence
03-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Generally you need to go up a full size, and round up if you're a half size.

But it's all relative and some brands might run large. Either buy them locally or make sure they can be returned.

-spence

Nebe
03-26-2008, 10:41 AM
if you fish sand, dont switch..

I fished a sandy spot alot last year and now my waders are trashed because the sand that got into the boots ground numerous holes in the stocking feet area of my LL bean waders.

Rockport24
03-26-2008, 10:59 AM
thanks for the info guys, I'm gonna get em' at cabelas because I returned my old waders cause of a leak and the stockingfoot ones are less expensive, so they're giving me a credit. maybe I'll call them and ask about the sizing.
Nebe - that's exactly why I've always gone with bootfoot because I heard that a lot, but over the past two years, I mainly fish rocks, so sand is not really a problem.

fishbones
03-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I was looking into Cabelas for a new pair of boots last month and I remember reading that you should order wading boots in your normal shoe size. As others have mentioned, go up to the next size if you wear a 1/2 size. I never got around to ordering them. Thanks for reminding me.

OLD GOAT
03-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Ithink cabbelas carry Hertters portly boot foot wadders

Rockport24
03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
guys - FYI - just got off the phone with Cabelas and they said their boots are designed to accomodate the neopreme foot of a stockingfoot wader, so you should order normal size.

plankton
03-26-2008, 01:34 PM
I have some Cabelas wading boots and they're great, the backcountry model that sell for $60 I believe. I generally wear an 11.5 shoe so I got the 12 and they fit perfectly.

Rockport24
03-26-2008, 01:36 PM
cool, those are the kind I"m looking at!

Pete F.
03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Get the ones with studs
I don't know about cabelas but with the beans ones I wear a 11 street shoe and a 13 wading boot.

bloocrab
03-26-2008, 04:30 PM
How are the llbean studded boots??....Meaning, does the stud(z) stick out long enough to serve it's purpose? On the online pictures, it doesn't look like they stick out very far....???....I know you don't want them out TOO far, but if they're just there for cosmetics, it defeats the purpose and can actually make the boot slipperier (if thats a word)....:as:....

I have A cousin looking for a pair of pre-studded and you can't go wrong with the Bean return policy.

Thanks -

numbskull
03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I have Simms studded felt sole boots. with Simms you get the next size up from your shoe size. The studded felt only lasted a year, but I do a lot of walking all on rock. They suck on sand. If you want good bootfoot waders, Simms will put any size Muck boot you want on any model of their waders for an extra $100 (which ultimately is less than buying wading boots).

plankton
03-26-2008, 05:38 PM
I looked at the Beans boots and they are nice, a variation of one of their hiking boots, probably why you have to go up a size or two. I ended up getting the non-studded Cabelas boots because sometimes I don't want a studded sole and sometimes I do. I use the Hodgman studded sandals and they work great, more flexible than Korkers so they don't shed their cleats as easily. So for about the same price as the Beans wading boots, I get a setup that I feel is more versatile, plus when the cleats on the Beans boots wear out I believe you have to replace the entire sole of the boot, on the Hodgman sandals you can just replace individual cleats. I do use the Beans breathable waders and after a full season of use I have no complaints.

Nebe
03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
How are the llbean studded boots??....Meaning, does the stud(z) stick out long enough to serve it's purpose? On the online pictures, it doesn't look like they stick out very far....???....I know you don't want them out TOO far, but if they're just there for cosmetics, it defeats the purpose and can actually make the boot slipperier (if thats a word)....:as:....

I have A cousin looking for a pair of pre-studded and you can't go wrong with the Bean return policy.

Thanks -
friggin awesome. except on bubble weed. If you take bubble weed out of the equation, they are much safer than korkers because they will bend and conform to the shape of the rocks your standing on.

BasicPatrick
03-27-2008, 12:41 AM
I have the Korker Wading Boots (07 version not the pre '07) that had the insert problems and damn these are by far the best wading boots I have ever owned. Tough, built to last. At well over 250 on most days I beat boots up good and these barely show wear from August through today. Awesome buy as they should be for the money I paid.

BasicPatrick
03-27-2008, 12:43 AM
I have the Korker Wading Boots ('07 version not the pre '07) that had the insert problems and damn these are by far the best wading boots I have ever owned. Tough, built to last. At well over 250 on most days I beat boots up good and these barely show wear from August through today. I stasyed away from the high tech wire thingy that they use instead of laces on the super high end boot and got the one version lower. Awesome buy as they should be for the money I paid.

Steve K
03-27-2008, 08:31 AM

Thanks -

I hate mine. The front of the boot started coming apart immediately and the studs do not compare to korkers or to my all time favorite studded sole - Orvis Silver Label bootfoot waders. I would not buy them again. I had to go up 2 sizes also.

pmueller
03-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Just switched to stockingfoot also. Although I've used them only once, I sorta liike the idea behind the Korker boots. Basically, the boot bottom changes out, its an insert. There are all types of inserts. One is a Korker/studd style, another is felt sole, another is boat shoe, and another is a hiking sole.. Although it sounds like a great idea, I am concernced alittle about the inserts breaking down.
Picked them up in my area at North Cove Outfitters in Old Saybrook.
The shoes themselves feel more stable, walking over rocks should be better than a regular boot.

Rockport24
03-27-2008, 08:55 AM
those seem like a very good idea, but it should be for $130. although if they last, it's worth the price.
I just picked up the $60 pair at Cabelas so I'll let you guys know how they work out. I like the regular sandal-style korkers, I do the stainless steel screw thing to replace the spikes and it's worked out well for me.

likwid
06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Although it sounds like a great idea, I am concernced alittle about the inserts breaking down.

I've been testing the Streamborn boots for about 2 months now.
I've been beating the living hell out of the hiking, felt, and studded felt soles and they're definitely solid.
I had one slight issue but it was resolved by Korkers very very quickly.

Studded felt is thee sole for the ditch.

BOA is redesigning the reel system (both for ski/snowboard and these) to be more resistant to sand/ice.
I've had issues with both the Guide Boots and a pair of high end snowboard boots that would seize up the reel system.
I'll switch to them on the redesign.

5 String Bass
06-30-2008, 12:40 PM
I picked up a pair of korkers cross currents and got the studded inserts for them. I've only used them a couple times so far, but they are GREAT. If they hold up long term, I'll be really happy with that purchase.:uhuh:

Rob Rockcrawler
06-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Sierra trading post had the korker boots on sale for 69.99 a couple weeks ago. I got a pair of cabelas boots and after a few trips they fit good. They were really tight at first and almost returned em. I wear a 11.5 and got a 13 to be sure.