View Full Version : Over fishing isn't bad enough!!

macojoe
03-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Pavlov's Fish' Catch Themselves
AP
Posted: 2008-03-27 07:17:44
Filed Under: Science News
BOSTON (March 26) - Call them Pavlov's fish: Scientists are testing a plan to train fish to catch themselves by swimming into a net when they hear a tone that signals feeding time.

Photo Gallery
Sea bass - March 26, 2008
Steven Senne, AP
Animals
In the News
1 of 10

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/0a/01/20080326153809990079

Scientists in Massachusetts are testing a plan to train black sea bass to swim into a net when they hear a tone that signals feeding time. "It sounds crazy, but it's real," said one researcher. The goal is to defray the cost of fish farming: If the creatures can be trained to return to the farmer after feeding in the ocean, farms could save money on feed.
If it works, the system could eventually allow black sea bass to be released into the open ocean, where they would grow to market size, then swim into an underwater cage to be harvested when they hear the signal.

What's next, teaching them to coat themselves in batter and hop inside a fryer?

"It sounds crazy, but it's real," said Simon Miner, a research assistant at the Marine Biological Laboratory at Wood's Hole, which received a $270,000 grant for the project from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Miner said the specially trained fish could someday be used to bolster the depleted black sea bass stock. Farmed fish might become better acclimated to the wild if they can be called back for food every few days.

The bigger goal is to defray the costs of fish farming, an increasingly important source of the world's seafood. If fish can be trained to return to the farmer after feeding in the open ocean for several days, farms could save money on feed and reduce the amount of fish waste released in concentrated areas.

BasicPatrick
03-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Joe,

That is a great video...well done...and what song is that playing...damn I want that on my Ipod...where can I find it?

OffTheHook13
03-27-2008, 11:07 AM
That's wacked.:eyes::eyes:

DZ
03-27-2008, 11:38 AM
From what I gather from the guys who commercial fish using fish pots is that Black Sea Bass routinely swim into un-baited pots. Many that target them don't even bait their pots. Follow the leader syndrome.

DZ

NIB
03-28-2008, 06:32 AM
I have been called the pied piper of fish..:musc:

striperman36
03-28-2008, 08:42 AM
From what I gather from the guys who commercial fish using fish pots is that Black Sea Bass routinely swim into un-baited pots. Many that target them don't even bait their pots. Follow the leader syndrome.

DZ
This is true. Scup and seabass will swim in without bait. See it in Buzzards bay all year.

Mr. Sandman
03-29-2008, 09:44 AM
270K to study this...I wonder who is paying for that? I am all for research but I don't think that public money should be spent to help improve comm fishing profit margins. How about putting that money towards rehabbing and re-establishing the river herring problems?...just an idea. (I know they did some but it has been anemic..there are runs that are silted up and are dead that were once very productive.)

DZ is right, sea bass go into a pot on their own without any bait, they just like it in the pot.

ProfessorM
03-29-2008, 11:57 AM
You should see some of the grants that WHOI gets:doh:. But I won't complain as they keep me busy in a job.

Song is by Billy Joel

macojoe
03-29-2008, 12:57 PM
BasicPatrick Joe,

That is a great video...well done...and what song is that playing...damn I want that on my Ipod...where can I find it?

Thanks!!

The song is Downeaster Alexa, By: Billy Joel

amazes me how many people don't know this song, It has been out for years! 1989

Gunpowder
03-30-2008, 12:04 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z5IB3yDLNaw

Raven
03-30-2008, 04:16 AM
so if we're not farming it

we are wasting a very huge resource

right now, it's...similar to when the Usa had

so many sheep grazing , they created the dust bowl.

Raider Ronnie
03-30-2008, 05:27 AM
You should see some of the grants that WHOI gets:doh:. But I won't complain as they keep me busy in a job.

Song is by Billy Joel

Paul,
I would have never guessed you a Billy Joel fan !

Raven
03-30-2008, 06:05 AM
he likes flowers too

ProfessorM
03-30-2008, 09:00 AM
I like a little bit of everything Ron, especially flowers. Variety is the spice of life. Was even a fan of the Raiders at one time.

Raider Ronnie
03-30-2008, 09:05 AM
I like a little bit of everything Ron, especially flowers. Variety is the spice of life. Was even a fan of the Raiders at one time.

I guess, Zappa - Bill Joel, both huge amounts of talent, just Zappa is far out there compared to the Piano Man.
As for the Raiders,
You are welcome to cross back over as we are on the rise and the Pats are on the downside!

Mr. Sandman
03-30-2008, 09:13 AM
I am not a big fan of "grants"...the problem with grants are they are basically gifts, free money for playing in a sandbox. There are no required deliverable for grants. If the entire project goes to hell they still get the $. This is different then a gov't contract where they have to show progress towards some end or the money stops flowing.

Raven
03-30-2008, 09:13 AM
I guess, Zappa - Bill Joel, both huge amounts of talent, just Zappa is far out there compared to the Piano Man.
As for the Raiders,
You are welcome to cross back over as we are on the rise and the Pats are on the downside!
dream on Raider Ron...

but

if this were to happen

there would have to be a S-B intervention....

and brain scan to check for Damage...

ProfessorM
03-30-2008, 12:00 PM
No grants will probably mean no WHOI, which has developed many fantastic products over the years and done some incredible research of the ocean. I think without grants you would not get the cutting edge, off the wall thinking that it allows without the pressure of a dead line. A lot of those engineers and scientist go to the beat of a different drummer. I have worked for some doozies over the last 20 years but some of the stuff they do get right are pretty amazing. Are there stupid, ridiculous grants given, for sure. Pavlov's fish may be one.:rolleyes:

Gunpowder
03-30-2008, 12:12 PM
No grants will probably mean no WHOI

or MBL.... which would put out me out too :af:

Raven
03-30-2008, 12:21 PM
No grants will probably mean no WHOI, which has developed many fantastic products over the years and done some incredible research of the ocean. I think without grants you would not get the cutting edge, off the wall thinking that it allows without the pressure of a dead line. A lot of those engineers and scientist go to the beat of a different drummer. I have worked for some doozies over the last 20 years but some of the stuff they do get right are pretty amazing. Are there stupid, ridiculous grants given, for sure. Pavlov's fish may be one.:rolleyes:

you totally DISAGREE?

well i totally DISAGREE WITH YOU and we would be rolling around in your bushes and i'd be stompin the hay out ya SCARE crow ....LOL

man oh MAN...

haven't you ever heard the story of the old chinese man with the coy goldfish pond...where his fish easily recognized his foot steps
when he walked down the hill to feed them? oh yeah !!! no bull-s___T

anyone else .... the fish did nothing....no reaction...
he walks down and the water starts boiling....dude

they can be trained just like the little piggies that they are

anything that eats half its food and lets it hang out of it's mouth for half a day to digest it can be trained when it comes to food!!!!:hihi:

fcap60
03-30-2008, 12:30 PM
very cool

ProfessorM
03-30-2008, 07:48 PM
My good friend on Long Island raises very expensive Koi and I agree with you they know him and can tell when it is dinner time. Very cool to watch. I said maybe, not definitely. I am still undecided.;)