View Full Version : Gooseberry Neck

eelskimmer
03-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Planning a scouting trip this Sunday AM. Anyone know if there any barrier to the parking lot at this time of year and is there a good
tackle shop in Westport??

smokefish
03-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Theres no fish at Gooseberry except dogfish.

LeCounts1099
03-28-2008, 02:24 PM
These spot- specific posts really do no one any good! :huh:

Guys that wanna know... go! (Or PM a friend or area Local maybe...) :think:

Guys who want to know-- along with 11,760 other readers of a website-- ask here! :rotf3:

RIJIMMY
03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
the guy wants to do some scouting and doesnt want to drive over there if he cant get on the beach, seems a simple enough question?

fishaholic18
03-28-2008, 02:29 PM
These spot- specific posts really do no one any good! :huh:

Guys that wanna know... go! (Or PM a friend or area Local maybe...) :think:

Guys who want to know-- along with 11,760 other readers of a website-- ask here! :rotf3:
Why? Because he's asking if there's a barrier to the parking lot? Are you kidding me??? What a Clown..

eelskimmer
03-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Smokefish, I didn't ask for your personal fishing luck only
if there is a gate. Woof, woof.

LeCounts, you're from Manhattan right. Well I know a spot
at 72nd st marina on the Hudson that you should try. Second
sewer outlert on left. Shoot me a PM and I give your details.

LeCounts1099
03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
:angel:

LeCounts1099
03-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh, OK: now I understand... Fishaholic is the (self- proclaimed) "chief pot stirrer" here! :biglaugh:

OK, FaH... Fair game? Then tell me:

1) How do you see the parking situation at Black Point this year? 2) Have they finally filled in all the craters in the access road to Camp Cronin? And... 3) where exactly does one park to access Narrow River? Let me know details right here! (with my 11,000+ friends!) :doh:

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who thinks very specific on- Site spot discussions are counter- productive! (Westport Locals? :huh:)

OH, & I forgot too: where you live dictates what you know, & whether right or wrong! :smash:

I'll let my almost 250 Posts here speak for whether I'm a Clown FaH... or not! As for you.: I'm reading now that I "know" you... :rtfm:

Mike P
03-28-2008, 03:43 PM
The guy lives an hour or so away and doesn't want to waste a drive for nothing. This really isn't a super secret spot he's talking about. All he wants to do is walk along the area and look at what changes have occurred over the winter. By the time fish arrive, this thread will be on page 5 and fading. In fact, if this pissing match continues, it'll fade a hell of a lot faster than that.

I can't tell you about any gates or tackle shops in Westport, though. You'd only be 10-15 minutes from CMS but they're closed on Sunday.

tattoobob
03-28-2008, 04:02 PM
I have to disagree a quick call to the Westport police dept. will tell you about the gate and a google search or a search on the Mass fish and wildlife web site will give you the bait shop info. we go thru this every year it it is tiresome

Mike P
03-28-2008, 04:06 PM
What's different about this than someone asking whether they're charging the parking fee at Scussett on Patriots' Day? :huh:

He obviously already knows where the place is. He's not asking how to get there. He's not asking for information on when the fish might be there. Are we at the point where the mere mention of any place along the East Coast is forbidden? Regardless of the information we're looking for? :rollem:

If that's the case, John might as well roll up the carpet and shut the lights off right now. :hs:

tattoobob
03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Spots that only hold a limited amount of people shouldn't have attention brought upon them, this spot was killed by an OTW Piece a few years ago and cars started to be towed and ticketed because of the amount of people going there. this place isn't like "The Cape Cod Canal", "Race Point", or Plum Island it's a place that only hold 4 or 5 people max.

LeCounts1099
03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Bob gets it! :read:

GB is tiny & teetering on still open... & decidely not Scusset!! :skulz:

Oh, I forgot: I'm from Manhattan... so what do I know? :)

Niko... not giving anyone a "hard time..." only good advice/ direction! Sorry! :(

niko
03-28-2008, 04:28 PM
lc99, the guy asks a simple question and you give him a hard time. that's great, lighten up francis.

JohnR
03-28-2008, 04:47 PM
No idea Johnny. My only concern is that now I know an old fahrt like you will be driving Sunday in Westport - I'm staying far away :ss:

Remember to look over the steering wheel instead of between the wheel and the dash on your Sunday drive :tooth:

(btw - eelskimmer was the, err, young guy making all those cracks about the Alaskan salmon at Too Cold...)

LC1099
1) No
2) No
3) Park at Camp Cronin and walk east

Seriously though - I do see a difference between this question and asking where to hide a vehicle along 1.5 miles of secluded road with 10 million dollar homes tossed about.

Mike P
03-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Spots that only hold a limited amount of people shouldn't have attention brought upon them, this spot was killed by an OTW Piece a few years ago and cars started to be towed and ticketed because of the amount of people going there. this place isn't like "The Cape Cod Canal", "Race Point", or Plum Island it's a place that only hold 4 or 5 people max.

So, in other words, you're complaining about the draft in the barn after the horse has already been let out :huh:

tattoobob
03-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Mike I'm not complaining it is only my opinion on this subject, just like you have yours

smokefish
03-28-2008, 11:20 PM
My message may have been tongue in cheek but I was serious. The very well known Gooseberry has not been a early spring hot spot.

There are no bait shops in Westport like Mike said CMS and Uncle Ken's are 10 minutes away.

When the fish are in at Gooseberry you'll know by the 20 - 30 people lining the causeway.

stripermagnet
03-28-2008, 11:26 PM
i think everyone should stop complaining about "spot specific" posts. honestly i doubt theres any spots left where only a handful of people could figure out that its a good idea to fish there. most people arent stupid. rocks + white water or sandbars or holes all = fish. its common sense if you have a honey hole where you stand on a specific rock or whatever thats different, but theres no secret beaches. and second, if anyone here can show up at a spot they've never fished in their lives and magically know the right tide, time of day, moon phase, weather, lure/bait, and presentation to use then congratulations youre the best fisherman in the world. and third, we all need to stop bad mouthing other peoples posts, its always the same crew and its annoying. if you dont like a post leave it alone

jkswimmer
03-29-2008, 12:06 AM
:sspam:If someone had checked they would have known that the place is a State park.

Back Beach
03-29-2008, 06:56 AM
Planning a scouting trip this Sunday AM. Anyone know if there any barrier to the parking lot at this time of year and is there a good

John,

Westport marine is nearby and is a nice tackle shop.You will need to look up the address, but its close to Gooseberry. The parking lot at Gooseberry is hit or miss as far as being open. Check with the police station fo details. If the gate is closed, its a very long walk to cover the island.

"SPOT" geeks need not apply to this thread.:deadhorse:

In addition to being a true sportsman,Eelskimmer has caught more fish than all you "spot burnig" nazis combined.:angel:

leptar
03-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Local police couldn't help ya there...
You would need to call the gate keeper... same people who operate the trailer park for the summer at horseneck...

Parking, 20-25 cars max if people park nice... get a few arseholes... and parking is down to 12/15 cars...

Don't park there if you don't want scratches or dents...
Don't leave things in sight in your vehicle if you want them when you return.
Bring a buddy... and travel the shoreline... don't do the path especially at night... keep an open eye out for needles and glass...
The causeway gate is closed from sunset to sunrise... if your inside when they lock the gate, don't snap an attitude with the guy who unlocks it.. just tell him some bullchit nice excuse like you were at the point on some nice fish and lost track of time... He might come down and let you out... if you say you going to cut the lock and rip the fence down... MA state police and Westport police will be there to greet you...

Parking outside the island requires a MA Westport resident sticker. So from Reed Rds, Beach Rds and Horseneck rd there is no parking unless you are a resident of Westport and have the resident sticker.
The beach houses on Beach road are all known so if you try and get funny and park at one chances are your car will get towed. Get caught without a resident sticker an it's a $25 or $30 fine... Chances of getting caught are about 80%... Residency checks are done by volunteer residents year round and by police bike patrol during the summer months...

JohnR
03-29-2008, 09:00 AM
i think everyone should stop complaining about "spot specific" posts. honestly i doubt theres any spots left where only a handful of people could figure out that its a good idea to fish there. most people arent stupid. rocks + white water or sandbars or holes all = fish. its common sense if you have a honey hole where you stand on a specific rock or whatever thats different, but theres no secret beaches. and second, if anyone here can show up at a spot they've never fished in their lives and magically know the right tide, time of day, moon phase, weather, lure/bait, and presentation to use then congratulations youre the best fisherman in the world. and third, we all need to stop bad mouthing other peoples posts, its always the same crew and its annoying. if you dont like a post leave it alone

In the Utopian world I might actually agree with a third of what you said. Certain places can only survive so much pressure. Some places can survive a lot more pressure, and some are impervious to the amount of "spot burning" that goes on. But where is it safe to draw that line? Posting spot specific info online doesn't always ruin a spot or cause a thousand people to go but SOMETIMES it does. Me, I want to err on the side of caution.

Spots can & should be shared, I just feel it should be in smaller groups, between people, in a club, or something. I don't think it is wise to mark specific stuff about locations in a historical and searchable database.

Stripermagnet, I realize that preventing detailed discussion on spots does not fit into your immediate wants but just keep in mind that it is the safe thing for the SPOT. When REPORTS and SPOTS mix, it can get ugly. Ask any of the Canal guys when their area gets juicy - and the Canal is probably the most "burned" spot in the Northeast.

GonnaCatchABig1
03-29-2008, 09:13 AM
In the Utopian world I might actually agree with a third of what you said. Certain places can only survive so much pressure. Some places can survive a lot more pressure, and some are impervious to the amount of "spot burning" that goes on. But where is it safe to draw that line? Posting spot specific info online doesn't always ruin a spot or cause a thousand people to go but SOMETIMES it does. Me, I want to err on the side of caution.

Spots can & should be shared, I just feel it should be in smaller groups, between people, in a club, or something. I don't think it is wise to mark specific stuff about locations in a historical and searchable database.

Stripermagnet, I realize that preventing detailed discussion on spots does not fit into your immediate wants but just keep in mind that it is the safe thing for the SPOT. When REPORTS and SPOTS mix, it can get ugly. Ask any of the Canal guys when their area gets juicy - and the Canal is probably the most "burned" spot in the Northeast.

it's a tit for tat kinda deal. i honestly dont mind sharing info with guys while fishing. i tend to enjoy having other around while fishing. not only for security reasons... but ya need a witness when something cool happens right?
but then theres this scenario... you show up to a spot you frequent only to find.. a bunch of drunks with wallyworld gear casting over each other constantly. with the occasional person who fishes a plug like it were a chunk.
i dont mind ""elbow to elbow"" fishing so long as elbow to elbow means at least 10 ft each side and every one is able to cast in a straight line 95% of the time. and realizes who ever has a fish on has right of way.
unfortunately the latter rarely happens. cause guys with common courtesy will pass on crowded areas. it's just the worst when yer there by yourself.. and before you know scenario number 1 happens.

so. i pretty much stopped telling anyone anything.. unless they give me some decent info.. not that i catch anything anyway..

oh yeah just to add.. i dont think this was really a spot burn. buuuut the specific name thing throws up the red flags. we need to form some sort of system (that gets stickied) on how to ask for this type of info with out having to mention the specific name in the open. like for instance maybe be worded like "looking for info on parking at a spot in this (area here) please pm me if you are familiar with it" it would be slower.. but this whole "omg specific name of a place" stuff would be avoided.. i'm sure you guys can come up with something a bit better than that idea though.

stripermagnet
03-29-2008, 09:41 AM
no one is asking (or forcing) anyone to share any information. if a guy wants to make a post about his spot let him. also if someone asks about a spot, you dont want blown up then dont answer. if these "Secret spots" really only have a couple people who know about them, then youl know the others who know and if you want to band together fine, but that shouldnt be at the expense of discussion, so if anyone wants to share, great. if not, thats fine but you dont need to rip on the guys who try and help people out and/or try and learn more

Jenn
03-29-2008, 10:01 AM
I am sick of RP being talked about! No ones seems to be worried about burning that.why is that? Is it that it has already been burned so no one cares..so just keep burning?

I agree with many about protecting spots but on the same token I also think some take it way to serious......

Bedford Blues
03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
you should have NO access problems during the day.
i have been "locked up" over nite there many times.
i did NOT notice hordes of people fishing there after the infamous
OTW article of a few yrs ago. If anything the article was far too brief.

snake slinger
03-29-2008, 10:51 AM

well said john

JohnR
03-29-2008, 12:03 PM
no one is asking (or forcing) anyone to share any information. if a guy wants to make a post about his spot let him. also if someone asks about a spot, you dont want blown up then dont answer. if these "Secret spots" really only have a couple people who know about them, then youl know the others who know and if you want to band together fine, but that shouldnt be at the expense of discussion, so if anyone wants to share, great. if not, thats fine but you dont need to rip on the guys who try and help people out and/or try and learn more

Stripermagnet - rarely will you find people coughing up all over themselves about THEIR spot, usually it's someone else's spot getting coughed up. And none of these spots are really secret, learning to fish them takes a lot more to learn, that is the secret. You want to share your favorite spot with everyone? Best time, tide, method, and moon? Where to park? Or would you rather bring someone you have met and like fishing with to SHARE the spot with you, and in turn be taken to their favorite spot and SHARE?

Rip who?

Think about this in the Big Picture.

I would like to be able to openly share a lot more information - even spot information - online but I would like you answer this for me:

At what point does sharing spot & report information, wide open in public for who knows how many over the course of time, start to hurt this sport that we all love? Do YOU want to gamble with the long term viability of reasonable access for a bunch of questions on a message board? Is it worth it? Do you cross the line? Edge right up to it and maybe or maybe not go over?
I'm not trying to be rude or mean here or protecting my honey holes but I am trying to look at the long term availability of keeping access. This is a long-term question not a short term answer.

I am all for sharing knowledge and I am all for sharing even spots but I do think that is BEST handled in small doses BETWEEN people. You want good spots ans access? Make friends with those around you - give & take.

Believe me, I could probably make a living selling spots and reports like a lot of different media sources do. I've had some very intriguing offers to sell or merge S-B with entities that do just that - sell spots, reports, and thousands of ads. I haven't done that though the opportunity is REALLY there. Spots and Reports are SEXY and SEXY sells. There is so much competition now on the SEXY it would be easy to roll over and join the masses. I just don't think it is the WISE thing to do - SEXY yes, WISE no.

McDonald's Syndrome. Easy and quick and occasionally tastes OK.

Pull right up to the drive through, pay your 5 bucks, get your McCombo, your McReport, your McLure, and drive off with your McFish.

GonnaCatchABig1
03-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Believe me, I could probably make a living selling spots and reports like a lot of different media sources do.

will you consider a trade? :hihi:

JohnR
03-29-2008, 12:18 PM

HaHa - sadly not at this time ;) - I hardly get enough time to fish for me these days. But where are you out of?

fishaholic18
03-29-2008, 12:21 PM
I would...:rude:

eelskimmer
03-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Just checked the overnight mail and spot burning is still a hot
topic. To Smokefish and LeCounts, I was only kidding--tongue
in cheek. To all the others who offered valuable advise both in
open and by PM many thanks. Sad to hear that walking the path
at night is hazardous due to needles and glass. But I would only
fish there in Spring and Fall (if I do) and avoid the Yahoos.

Will be on beach about 9:30AM Tomorrow scouting for an hour.
If youse are in neighborhood say hello and I would be delighted to
buy coffee and donuts at nearest Dunkee.

Again, many thanks.

BassDawg
03-29-2008, 12:30 PM
JOHNR, SAY it ain't SO!!!

"Never, never, never, never, give up!"

Fogeddah bout SEXY, as sexy fades, is fleeting, and is on the outside.

WISDOM, however, is internal, is everlasting, and only gets better with time.

Keep things reel and earned, rather than bought and sold.

These lazy schlubs will get much more satisfaction out of finding their own spots ~but how will they ever "get there" if we are constantly feeding them with stand here/cast there stuff? No worries about offering techniques, methods, gear advice, and how-to's.................just doan go removing the discovery part from the equation.

i think it was TimS who said,
"Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime,
Show him where to fish and he'll be a loose lipped
spot burner and frantic reports chaser for ever!!" :btu: :btu:

tattoobob
03-29-2008, 02:42 PM

Sorry pal but maybe you should list all your spots, times, tides, and lures to use. I think it is very strange for a new comer to this site to come on and start changing the rules here, there was never spot talk here and there never should be. I find it very strange how you stand on this topic and you won't even list where you are from or your age.

fishaholic18
03-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh, OK: now I understand... Fishaholic is the (self- proclaimed) "chief pot stirrer" here! :biglaugh:

We all gotta be good at something...:btu:

Swimmer
03-29-2008, 07:20 PM
How many of you guys caught a 40 plus pound bass last year, 69 year old eelskimmer did. From shore too.

fishaholic18
03-29-2008, 07:27 PM
How many of you guys caught a 40 plus pound bass last year, 69 year old eelskimmer did. From shore too.

:wavey::btu:

NIB
03-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Local police couldn't help ya there...
You would need to call the gate keeper... same people who operate the trailer park for the summer at horseneck...

Parking, 20-25 cars max if people park nice... get a few arseholes... and parking is down to 12/15 cars...

Don't park there if you don't want scratches or dents...
Don't leave things in sight in your vehicle if you want them when you return.
Bring a buddy... and travel the shoreline... don't do the path especially at night... keep an open eye out for needles and glass...
The causeway gate is closed from sunset to sunrise... if your inside when they lock the gate, don't snap an attitude with the guy who unlocks it.. just tell him some bullchit nice excuse like you were at the point on some nice fish and lost track of time... He might come down and let you out... if you say you going to cut the lock and rip the fence down... MA state police and Westport police will be there to greet you...

Parking outside the island requires a MA Westport resident sticker. So from Reed Rds, Beach Rds and Horseneck rd there is no parking unless you are a resident of Westport and have the resident sticker.
The beach houses on Beach road are all known so if you try and get funny and park at one chances are your car will get towed. Get caught without a resident sticker an it's a $25 or $30 fine... Chances of getting caught are about 80%... Residency checks are done by volunteer residents year round and by police bike patrol during the summer months...

Sounds like they really don't like outsiders in them parts don't it..:eek:

Finaddict
03-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Uhmm .... John, what's the matter with McFish?... all worthwhile ...:lama:

Adam_777
03-30-2008, 08:23 AM
http://windknots.zftp.com/stuff/pics/flamethrower.gif spot :hihi:

redcrbbr
03-30-2008, 09:02 AM

Just to answer the guys question,
the gate is usually left open this time of year. Westport Marine sells some bait and tackle pretty sure they are NOT open

RIJIMMY
03-30-2008, 09:38 AM
at least you can say one thing - we're consistent

Adam_777
03-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Never been but I plan on sending the bucket brigade from my spot to this one come the first sign of scup.

Swimmer
03-30-2008, 10:39 AM
at least you can say one thing - we're consistent:whackin:

Too funny.................

Slingah
03-30-2008, 10:42 AM
it must be spring...even the spotburnflamewarblowup threads are losing steam..:hihi:

stripermagnet
03-30-2008, 01:48 PM
tatoobob dont attack me for trying to stop this thread from getting foolish, which it already has. whats the point of arguing the over whether or not eelskimmer is "spot burning" whoever knows the answer to his question just answer it and its over

Back Beach
03-31-2008, 05:48 AM

I heard he got it off Gooseberry:hee:

fishaholic18
03-31-2008, 06:44 AM
I heard he got it off Gooseberry:hee:
I heard of a 50#er with sea lice caught there last week also..:hee:

smokefish
03-31-2008, 01:58 PM
So, eelskimmer what's the report?

fish4striper
03-31-2008, 02:38 PM

I can't vouch for the bass but I saw him catch a 40 lb plus tuna :btu:

BMEUPSCOTTY
03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
I believe he got a fifty a few years back, in the ditch maybe? anyone? He and his brother took me to little bridge and lobsterville my first time on MV and he makes a good breakfast and is a good guy. http://www.pctuner.net/forum/images/smilies/sisi.gif

oh btw, gooseberry is only scary if you're walking on the rocks, wading, walking through the drunk goog punks on the causeway or walking on the path/crossing in front of the tower when there is a satanic sacrifice going on in there. Other than that its great!http://img116.exs.cx/img116/6469/g5cgrin.gif

stripermagnet
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
wow i dont know if you guys will have to worry about the spot getting burned after that last post BMEUPSCOTTY...

thortum
03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
It sound to me like the FISH ARE VERY CLOSE [ if not already here]!!! :hihi:

Squid kids Dad
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I believe he got a fifty a few years back, in the ditch maybe? anyone? He and his brother took me to little bridge and lobsterville my first time on MV and he makes a good breakfast and is a good guy. http://www.pctuner.net/forum/images/smilies/sisi.gif

oh btw, gooseberry is only scary if you're walking on the rocks, wading, walking through the drunk goog punks on the causeway or walking on the path/crossing in front of the tower when there is a satanic sacrifice going on in there. Other than that its great!http://img116.exs.cx/img116/6469/g5cgrin.gif

You are right..John caught it at the ditch..A gentleman fisher he is

rickhern
04-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Gb is one of my favorite and most fished spots. I have never, ever, seen more than 4 or 5 other fishermen out on the Island at night. If you are going to take the walk, you will be able to fish plenty of good water without getting within 100ft of anyone if you choose. Take the time to walk the shoreline and explore. Some of my most productive spots are not the typical "hotspots", just little rockpiles surrounded by deep water that always seem to hold a few fish.

The other point is, anyone that I have met out there is pretty serious about their sport and I enjoy chatting and fishing with them.

5 String Bass
04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
<- Not a fan of Gooseberry. If drunk teenagers yelling and fighting and broken glass everywhere is an indication of a hot spot, go for it. No offense, Rick- I have only been 2x during the Summer months and didnt care for it. I like peace and quiet when I fish. But it brings up another question: "Is it spot burning to say a spot sucks???"

rickhern
04-11-2008, 02:57 PM
No offense taken, in retrospect, I think you are right - the spot does suck! I mean with the long walk, kids partying and them freakin striped fishes makin off with my nice choopy's, I will probably never go back.

5 String Bass
04-12-2008, 10:50 AM
;)

Adam_777
04-12-2008, 10:59 AM
The fire is still burning ! :rotf2:

striperman36
04-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Sounds like they really don't like outsiders in them parts don't it..:eek:

NO they don't it's almost as bad as Sakonnett and little compton