View Full Version : The most productive lure ever made?

Tattoo
10-17-2002, 06:45 AM
Thoughts and comment from the peanut gallery......

Saltwater: Simplicity at it's best......The Bucktail Jig.

Caught more fish on this than any other, but a Popper is a close second.

Freshwater: White Spinnerbait and the Zara Spook are neck and neck.

Mr. Sandman
10-17-2002, 07:29 AM
The bucktail by far is the most universal fishing lure for salt water. So much so it is included in the survival package in military aircraft.

striperjerk1
10-17-2002, 08:49 AM
no 1# bucktail. no 2# kastmaster no 3# red devil spoon.

Scotch Bonnet
10-17-2002, 09:04 AM
Sluggo has to be near the top.

Bernzy
10-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Saltwater - Bucktail jig

Freshwater - # 11 Rapala, Black/silver or black/gold

Saltheart
10-17-2002, 10:02 AM
No doubt its the bucktail and the popper.

jettyjockey18
10-17-2002, 10:05 AM
dead heat between the banjo minnow and the helicopter lure...:rolleyes:

actually, for freshwater, the simple, time tested rubba worm has got to rank up in the top 2 (zara spook or jitterbug being the other)

for saltwater, gotta go with the jig and pig...(i think that sluggos will rank right up there, but they've only been around for the last 5 or 6 years)...

Slipknot
10-17-2002, 10:53 AM
A sharp hook and fresh bait is a good lure.

Christian
10-17-2002, 03:44 PM
i'd have to say 4" blue or black top and pearl bottom soft plastic shad and a jig head are #1, then a popper.
for fresh water the best lure that will always be the best lure is the skitter pop in leopard frog pattern. second would either be a rapala swimmer in perch or a rubba worm, cant decide.

Justfishin'
10-17-2002, 04:28 PM
Have to agree, bucktails are allways productive and my favorite second is a Kastmaster because you can fish them top to bottom. Freshwater? Has to be an Adams size 10 to 24 and a Muddler. Hey, does anybody do any Steelheading? :p

bloocrab
10-17-2002, 05:04 PM
Saltwater....I'm sorry...I'm sticking to my guns....The Kastmaster #1

..point blank, its universal !! I believe you can catch many more species with the "Master" vs. the "Bucktail"...thats why its called "The Master"...:D

Fresh water...well thats only good for drinking right?...are there fish in freshwater???

:smash:

BasicPatrick
10-17-2002, 05:52 PM
There is no question,

Historically the lure that has caught the most fish is the white bucktail....Variety wise, the same....variety in presentation style and variety in fish all over the world. Many many books on the subject of fishing have been written, most I have read refer to the simple bucktail jig as by far the number 1 artificial ever made. This is fresh and salt water both. Spoons aka metals (Kastmaster being one of the better ones in this category) have to be 2nd or third but all bow to the bucktail, it's not a debate its a fact.

Bill L
10-17-2002, 08:20 PM
Bucktail jig for Saltwater, definitely
Mepps spinner would be my vote for fresh, for variety of species you could catch

Got Stripers
10-17-2002, 08:31 PM
No doubt bucktail jigs in both fresh & saltwater are killer for a variety of species, however if survival would be a deciding factor I'd want something else. Survival in terms of lost in the woods, on a tropical island, drifting on a raft somewhere might be the exception but even then, something good for shallow water presentations and less likely to be snagged and lost would be at the top of my list. In shallow water I'd kiss the bucktail goodbye and definately prefer a rapala type lure if artificial is what we are talking about or better yet a selection of plastic jerkbaits, hooks and lighter jig heads. Maybe even a versitle single hook spoon would serve better in the long run.

Then again, forget the fishing tackle, put me on the tropical island with a good looking woman. She must have great sense of humor, be capable of catching-cleaning-cooking the catch etc....

denis
10-17-2002, 08:41 PM
bucktail jig with a nice worm on it"t butt

Roccus
10-17-2002, 09:13 PM
Well...that's an interesting question. One way to look at it is: What lure would you pick if it meant your survival? Military survival kits typically included either a plain, bare hook (and a length of fishing line) or a bucktail jig...or both. They're the two most versatile pieces of equipment because you can bait either one with whatever you've got at hand to entice fish to bite...and if it comes down to a matter of you've GOT to catch fish or you die, my guess is that most of us will want to get right back to basics, i.e., the hook & worm. I sure would.;) :D

Jenn
10-17-2002, 10:49 PM
HA!HA! I LOVE IT!

honesty award of the day is presented too....

GS....

Then again, forget the fishing tackle, put me on the tropical island with a good looking woman. She must have great sense of humor, be capable of catching-cleaning-cooking the catch etc....

but lets get real here////////do you even CARE if she could do these things??? or would a slow death by starvation be worth sharing the island with her??? LOL

JohnR
10-17-2002, 10:58 PM
white bucktail jig

StarsnStripers
10-19-2002, 09:21 PM
hey hey hey, be nice now, i'm only a newbie, and I need to gather information.

How do you fish a bucktail jig? Do you reel slowly and pull up your rod quickly, up and down?? I've seen people doing that surfcasting, but I don;t kno what lure they were using. I have a few bucktail jigs and have heard alot about how deadly they were for especially stripers, and have heard alot i
n this thread.
Thanx!!!!:jump1:

Christian
10-20-2002, 09:28 AM
for a bucktail i like to just reel in slowly after letting the jig fall to or near the bottom. as i reel in i like to give the jig a little bit of a twich with the rod tip. i dont really think you are meant to work a bucktail like a jig by jigging it. just realling it in seems to work fine. in really strong current (strong as in don't even think about wading) i just cast and allow the jig to be carried out by the current. i became familiar with this method one day when my friend cast out his jig and then put his rod down to take a picture of a fish i just caught. as he was taking the camera out of his pocket his rod was pulled across the rocks we were fishing on and directly into the water. after that i just let the jig go with the current and began catching fish.:laughs:

bloocrab
10-20-2002, 10:17 AM
I still say the best "over-all" lure you can use is the "Kastmaster"...

Using a Kastmaster, I've caught species like scup - hickory shad - fluke / flounder - cunnerfish - snapper blues / bluefish - different varieties of mackerel - Stripers of course - sea robin - sea bass - smelts - anchovy - sardines - tommy cod - polluck - squid - crabs - silversides...and these are just species from my local waters. I'm sure if I headed south, I'd start an entirely new list...the possibilities are endless. You can catch fish up and down the food chain, hence using the smaller fish to catch larger...and so on. If your stuck on an Island with one lure.....KASTMASTER!!! If we're talking survival, you can eat any type of fish listed above. I'm sorry but a bucktail WILL NOT catch all the species listed above. I'm sure the list is long for a bucktail...but I'd bet $$$ the list is longer for a Kastmaster... Overall does not mean just Stripers my friends...we're talking survival here.:confused:

your friend and mine,

the Crab~

StarsnStripers
10-20-2002, 10:20 AM
u make ure own lures at 16? I'm 14 and I'd like to get into pourin plastics and makin hardbaits like chuggers and cranks. What Materials do i need to begin?? I hope this beats fly tying, cuz that sucked!!!lol:D

bloocrab
10-20-2002, 10:21 AM
but ummm...as far as how I fish the bucktail jig ...thats easy, I jig it!!! :D

I axually let it hit bottom first and begin to bounce it along the bottom. The stronger the current - the heavier the jig...

StarsnStripers
10-20-2002, 10:22 AM
After all, SSX and I are not going to sit around thinking about fishing all winter:( ,instead we will be making lures for the next season all day:p

bloocrab
10-20-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by StarsnStripers
What Materials do i need to begin?? ...

different forum, fellas... (plug making is on page 2) :P

StarsnStripers
10-20-2002, 10:24 AM
LOL bloocrab, seems like you spend more time in MSpaint than in the forum! J/K:cool:

StarsnStripers
10-20-2002, 10:25 AM
k, i guessi'll go to plug makin next time im on, till then cya bloo and everyone else;)

Christian
10-20-2002, 10:29 AM
starsnstripers, go to the got wood section and there are lots of posts telling you what you need for plug making. i think the most important thing you would need is a lathe.

bloocrab
10-20-2002, 10:42 AM
how can you NOT like the Kastmaster???...not to mention it makes the perfect gift!!!

:smash: :smash:

Christian
10-20-2002, 10:47 AM
like to see you try that with a pikie minnow or a cod jig.

Saltheart
10-21-2002, 12:56 PM
Stars and Stripes , heres an article to get you started. Its for beginners and talks mostly of small jigs from shore but its a start.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Articles/saltjig101a.shtml

StarsnStripers
10-22-2002, 06:37 PM
thanx, that helped saltheart:happy: