View Full Version : plugs/ seasons/needlefish

stripercrazy
03-31-2008, 01:49 AM
just thinking ahead to spring:hee:and wondering if alot of people are like me and generally don't fish needle fish in the spring, I use jigs and medal liped plugs mostly and topwater plugs...with herring and pogys prime bait, I allway thought a danny or a pikie would be a better plug to throw....I know theres places where a needle will cover more water but I never use them to summer and fall...do you guys fish them(needles) starting in may? whats the first wood medal lip plug out of your bag this year:hee:I'm getting antz to get out there...ed:gu:

Tagger
03-31-2008, 03:34 AM
I do more daytime fishing in the spring untill the first extended heat wave then its pretty much nightshift. The nights I do fish in the spring I do very well with a 6" olive needle ,, others will work,, just my obsession.. Always good to have a needle with you ..They take up very little room in the bag ,,cast well,,and good to fish when your tired .. They will work in the day also . My favirote lure to fish in the spring is a small pearl white spook ..

jimmy z
03-31-2008, 04:34 AM
Hi Ed, right now I use those Fin-S types qith a jig head. I'll use those until May, when I hit the rivers, then I will use swimmers; metal lips and plastics. I like the Danny, the larger the better, in the rivers. But I have caught quite a few on the larger Gibbs bottles in faster waters. Another plug I use in the spring, and only the spring are those Gag's Slammer lures. I've caught bass on those in the rivers as well.
I also use big pencils, during the day, as well as poppers.
But to answer your original question, no, I always have at least one needle in my bag, an olive one as well, but if other plugs are producing, that's where it will stay.
Once I head out front, well, than it's swimmers, darters and whatever is in the bag. :wavey:
Take care my friend.

numbskull
03-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Tiny sandeels and squid are also a large part of the spring fishery where I live (lower Buzzards Bay). Needles work fine (often better than swimmers) though the best fish I catch usually come on large swimmers, bottles, darters at night near herring runs (excluding boat fish for which pencils over shoals is the way to go).

Must say I'm amazed a thread on plugs got to 4 posts without someone gleefully pointing out that their favorite form of live bait is "better".

Back Beach
03-31-2008, 07:16 AM
Must say I'm amazed a thread on plugs got to 4 posts without someone gleefully pointing out that their favorite form of live bait is "better".

I was preoccupied with some spot burning and missed it. :laugha:

I've used the small, white 5" super strike needles and caught fish late in april on them duirng the evening hours. (South Cape area)The white SS stubby does well too from early May on in squid infested waters. Finally, the 7" super strike was my go to plug for many years at Chatham Inlet and Race Point from late May- early July.

Live bait is better though.:angel:

Goose
03-31-2008, 07:17 AM
someone gleefully pointing out that their favorite form of live bait is "better".

You said it not me and I agree!:hee:

Gunpowder
03-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Tiny sandeels and squid are also a large part of the spring fishery where I live (lower Buzzards Bay).

Im in relatively the same area and have some good access to live squid. Any particular way of "livelining" them or do most people strictly use them as chunks (aka when their dead)? Thanks for the input.... And I would never leave home without three needles in the bag... very important lures :musc:

luds
03-31-2008, 07:47 AM
This spring I'll be throwing troublemaker and gibbs 1.5 oz dannies. Troublemaker surfsters, Tattoo 1 oz. swimmers, and crazy buggers. Once I start seeing some bigger fish out comes everything else. I usually don't throw a needle until sometime in June but I have caught some good fish on a stetzco needle in late May.

numbskull
03-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Took me 35 years to realize it, but there is a push of early large fish (20-30lbs) that come through well before June (about a week on the heels of the first consistent schoolies). Trouble is the oodles of small fish get to the small plugs ahead of them. Something to consider.

moosh
03-31-2008, 09:31 AM
I live were there are alot of sqiud in spring , I found pink needles work awsome I have caught more fish on a 5" Neddle than any other lure ..lust big enough to keep the little ones off and make the big boys look twice ...

The Dad Fisherman
03-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Crazy Buggers, 5" Mambo Minnows, Bigfish 1 oz. Pencils, Some 4" Fin-s shads and 6" Sluggo-s, and some spooks, poppers and mullets that I made are what will be in the bag come spring.

Flaptail
03-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Took me 35 years to realize it, but there is a push of early large fish (20-30lbs) that come through well before June (about a week on the heels of the first consistent schoolies). Trouble is the oodles of small fish get to the small plugs ahead of them. Something to consider.

That's because you show up with knee boots on and then wimp out because it's dark and you need to get to bed, meanwhile I, directly across the street from your house, am catching bass on every cast and have the beach all to myself til midnight at least because I am dedicated, not afraid of the dark, coyotes or not.

Thank God real fishermen like Art and I know how catch real fish in your back yard.:wavey:

Slipknot
03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
That's because you show up with knee boots on and then wimp out because it's dark and you need to get to bed, meanwhile I, directly across the street from your house, am catching bass on every cast and have the beach all to myself til midnight at least because I am dedicated, not afraid of the dark, coyotes or not.

Thank God real fishermen like Art and I know how catch real fish in your back yard.:wavey:

:eek: :laughs::spin:

wow

needles in the spring you ask
well if it's from the beach on the cape, for me no, not untill june for needles, I'd use bombers etc instead.
I like jigs for the canal and if the sun comes up, I go with pencils or a howdy.

numbskull
03-31-2008, 01:13 PM

All the 36" fish in the world wouldn't justify you missing out on some beauty sleep..........you are WAY behind.

smac
03-31-2008, 06:01 PM
just thinking ahead to spring:hee:and wondering if alot of people are like me and generally don't fish needle fish in the spring, I use jigs and medal liped plugs mostly and topwater plugs...with herring and pogys prime bait, I allway thought a danny or a pikie would be a better plug to throw....I know theres places where a needle will cover more water but I never use them to summer and fall...do you guys fish them(needles) starting in may? whats the first wood medal lip plug out of your bag this year:hee:I'm getting antz to get out there...ed:gu:

Ed,
that blue and white stubby needle you gave me last year was one of my top producers in the spring.

Scott

Tagger
03-31-2008, 07:58 PM

I've had these same thoughts .. Sometimes top water isn't all its cracked up to be .easy pickins for speedy small fish . . When there's large, fish low.. Thats why I think a slow sink needle is so versatile ,, gives you the option of fishing low .

stripercrazy
04-01-2008, 08:31 AM
good info, I'm throwing some this spring...back to the lathe:cheers: