View Full Version : FIFTY freeeeakin BILLION

UserRemoved1
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
To fight aids in AFRICA

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/15776303/detail.html

You have just got to be kidding me. The economy is in the freikin TOILET and they're sending 10 BILLION a YEAR to Africa?

WTF is wrong with these people.

:(

stripermagnet
04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
not mention all the people in the USA with aids that could use the money

UserRemoved1
04-02-2008, 06:18 PM
"This will be remembered as the single most significant achievement of President Bush's two terms in office," said Rep. Donald Payne, D-N.J., chairman of the Foreign Affairs subcommittee on Africa."

You have got to be kidding me.

Raven
04-02-2008, 06:29 PM
is ever expected in return...

not even respect.

and it aint just africa

Joe
04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
That's because some of those African countries have oil operations already, and others have untapped oil reserves. Countries that don't have oil could serve one day as pipeline hosts, ports, etc.
It's important to do just enough to keep as many countries as possible tilted away from becoming Islamic theocracies and nationalizing the oil production.

thortum
04-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Don't worry. We'll just have the Treasury Dept. print a LITTLE EXTRA! :1poke:

GattaFish
04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
That's because some of those African countries have oil operations already, and others have untapped oil reserves. Countries that don't have oil could serve one day as pipeline hosts, ports, etc.
It's important to do just enough to keep as many countries as possible tilted away from becoming Islamic theocracies and nationalizing the oil production.

Bingo,,,,, but the sad part is the Islamic militants are more determined than we are,,,,,, Look what they did in N'Djamena, Chad because of oil,,,,,,,and of course the French are not doing SQUAT....

Nebe
04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I thought bush was supposed to kill everyone... I am so confused

bart
04-02-2008, 08:52 PM
all i know is my sister is working(volunteering) at an orphanage in Namibia right now. there are 28 little kids running around and one 80 yr. old woman to care for them. most of them are orphans because their parents died of AIDS. half of the kids in the orphanage are infected with HIV. it's really heart-wrenching when you see the pics of these little kids

the economy is terrible right now, no doubt about it. but to put things in perspective, it could be a lot worse.

PaulS
04-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Whatever we give it should be doubled. Its an embarresment when you compare what we give as a % of GNP to many, many other developed countries. We are blessed here beyond belief.

I bet the French give more then we do on a per capita basis.

The Dad Fisherman
04-03-2008, 07:37 AM
I'd like to see some #'s on what other countries have sent over here for donations to help with Homelessness in the US, or maybe some relief for the elderly in their medical costs or home heating fuel costs. maybe after those are squared away we can send some cash over to Africa.

as far as this being Bush's most significant event since he's been in office , well, Duh Yeah....before this his most significant event was making Boom Boom in the Toi-Toi all by his onesie. Everytime that tool is on the air I cringe because sooner or later he'll either Screw up the Punch line or dance for the cameras.....I keep expecting someone to reach in their pockets and feed him a sardine after every press conference. :wall:

and the French probably do give more....they don't have to funnel it into their Military....When they have problems they just pick up the phone and call us, we'll take care of it for them.

PaulS
04-03-2008, 07:49 AM
That's about what we spend every 4 months looking for WMD. The $ are being spent over 5 years and we had prob. pledged some portion of it previously so its not all "new" money.

The French spend plenty on their military (although certainly nothing comparable to us on per capita basis). Prob. over the last 25 years, they have had as many if not more military interventions than us (like in places like Chad, the Congo, etc). I don't think the French have asked us for help in any of those countries. In fact, we prob. have asked them to intervene our behalf more times than they have asked us.

During Katrina and 9/11 many countries offered help and were turned down. As the richest country in the world, I don't want any other countries help.

Raven
04-03-2008, 07:56 AM
every-time i see these huge sums of OUR money that tax payers have paid into their Government given away to foreign Countries for what ever purpose...under the sun.. most of them Noble gestures of course... But ... i always divide that number by 52 and wonder how much better off we AMERICANS would be if that same money was distributed to each state for some worthy purpose LIKE TDF just mentioned... to increase our quality of life for a change instead of taking care of the whole worlds problems. :hs:

striperman36
04-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Like has anyone been outside of New Orleans? It's still looking like a disaster area. FEMA trailers, little infrastructure. Totally third world.
Let's spend a few billion there and actually get it straightened out.

InTheHole
04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Like has anyone been outside of New Orleans? It's still looking like a disaster area. FEMA trailers, little infrastructure. Totally third world.

Excellent Point !!!!

Swimmer
04-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Ya imagine Bush doing something nice*. (* indicates sarcasm)

EarnedStripes44
04-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Bush submitted a proposal in his 3.1 trillion dollar budget (thru 09) 28 billion a year to nuclear weapons research anually. So our tax dollars are wasted anyway. Why not waste some more on something beneficial, but of course there could be money funneled out of some these other frivolous spending binges and put to better use.

Also, those handpicked cutbuddy oil lobbyists Bush has appointed to Dept. of the Interior need to be fired. These guys really can't do there job. See the link below.

http://www.fsrn.org/content/bush-administration-lags-protecting-endangered-species

Raven
04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Don't worry. We'll just have the Treasury Dept. print a LITTLE EXTRA! :1poke:

thortum...thats a very very GOOD idea...
and while were at it... lets throw Gorge Bushes picture on
the money so it can be the monopoly funny money currency
that it now is... then we can watch the Arabs burn it to light their cigars.

RIJIMMY
04-03-2008, 03:00 PM
with 2 parents, one dead, that had cancer, I can care less about AIDS in Africa. AIDS CAN BE PREVENTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop scre@ing without protection, save us billions of money!
Afterall, we're the US of KKK right????????

OffTheHook13
04-03-2008, 04:26 PM

He missed......Big Time.....:hang:

EarnedStripes44
04-04-2008, 09:26 AM
US of KKK... thats according to who, Reverend Wright of "God Damn America fame". Something that the media seems to fail to mention other than soundbites from a sermon, is his military service. He was a US Marine, inspired by the words of a "Rich White Man" who went by the name of Jack Kennedy who quipped "ask not what your country can do for you...". He could have gone the student deferment way, but served instead.

I think the media is really getting to you, TV touches that part of the brain that stirs emotion like an egg beater. Its "infotainment" now, just look at some of the advertising.

So don't go doing anything unreasonable, like vote for John McCain. (OK maybe thats a bit much)

PaulS
04-04-2008, 09:53 AM
On retrospect, maybe we shouldn't fund aids prevention/research. Screw the orphans b/c their parents gave them aids. :rollem:

RIJIMMY
04-04-2008, 10:01 AM
On retrospect, maybe we shouldn't fund aids prevention/research. Screw the orphans b/c their parents gave them aids. :rollem:

Paul, if you want to, go right ahead, its your money, spend it any way you want. But, please tell me what right the US government to take MY MONEY, that I work for and send it to other countries. Where is that law? The Constitution does not give the US Govt the right to take money from its citizens and fund wars, diseases, anything, in foreign countries. period.

PaulS
04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
If you don't think you have to pay taxes, then don't. Instead of complaining about it on an fishing website take a stand and don't pay.

kevin d
04-04-2008, 10:13 AM

Smart use of our tax dollars. Rebuild the sunken city so we can bail it out (literally and figuratively) again in the future. I thought NO was pretty close to Third World status before Katrina.

RIJIMMY
04-04-2008, 11:08 AM
If you don't think you have to pay taxes, then don't. Instead of complaining about it on an fishing website take a stand and don't pay.

I think I should pay taxes. I dont think my money should be sent to other countries.
Since you are adament my money (thats what government spending is, OUR money) should be spent on AIDS in Africa, instead of taking a stand on a fishing site, how much of your money do you donate to AIDS in Africa if it is so impiortant to you? Are you sending your kids their to volunteer like Bart's sister?

Swimmer
04-04-2008, 11:09 AM
You know for fifty billion we could truck a mountain from Colorado by the truckload, one at a time, and raise New Orleans high enough so that they wouldn't need levees.

Swimmer
04-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Paul, if you want to, go right ahead, its your money, spend it any way you want. But, please tell me what right the US government to take MY MONEY, that I work for and send it to other countries. Where is that law? The Constitution does not give the US Govt the right to take money from its citizens and fund wars, diseases, anything, in foreign countries. period.

(* indicates sarcasm) * Jimmy its cheaper sending them the money than it is giving them Visa's and letting them emigrate.

Not Visa credit cards, visa visa's.

Raven
04-04-2008, 11:54 AM
it was also our money that bailed our bear and sterns

RIJIMMY
04-04-2008, 12:00 PM

are you sure about that? They were purchased by JP Morgan?

Raven
04-04-2008, 12:10 PM
yesterday on a financial interview show...

talking about the economy situation and all that...

he used the very same words... i am not sure who he is

some analyst...saying how right after 911 the thrifty
savers became the lets spend it all now- crowd...

because of the fear of a nuclear attack coming...

and save it for WHAT?

B&S: it was still our money on the bailout in the sense that Jp Morgan was
offered an incentive to act as an intermediary

quote: it was announced that JP Morgan Chase Bank was acting as an intermediary to bail out the financial investment bank Bear Stearns, and essentially funneled billions of dollars from the U.S. Federal Reserve
(read: you and me) to those who had entrusted their investment fortunes to Bear Sterns.

PaulS
04-04-2008, 02:39 PM
I think I should pay taxes. I dont think my money should be sent to other countries.
Since you are adament my money (thats what government spending is, OUR money) should be spent on AIDS in Africa, instead of taking a stand on a fishing site, how much of your money do you donate to AIDS in Africa if it is so impiortant to you? Are you sending your kids their to volunteer like Bart's sister?

Good for Bart's sister - thats great.

I donate a lot to various charities (but haven't donated specifically to Aids in Africa). Donating to people who are less fortunate than myself is important and that's why I don't mind if the country donates $. I give what I can.

The American public thru our reps have decided that as a prosperous country, we have a moral obligation to help out people who are less fortunate as ourselves. As you seem to see things differently, you can always write your reps to tell them to stop or run for office yourself.

EarnedStripes44
04-04-2008, 04:05 PM

Thats right. Fed bails out BS investors that take risky chances. So in essence, the Fed has socialized private losses. What about private profits. Jim, what do you think of this, the Fed socializing bank losses but not profits?

Joe
04-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Al Qaeda's dream is take over an oil nation by proxy to serve as base and to finance global jihad. Eventually, they hope to gain legitimacy as a political party, much like what Hezbollah has done in Lebanon.

Hezbollah is a case study on how a terrorist organization can eventually gain legitimacy. The military side power is only one component; it's not enough just to kill the enemy and then step out and hope that what emerges will be friendly - because it won't be. Hezbollah took a page from our 20th century playbook and realized that winning the hearts and minds and providing essential services to people who would otherwise go without builds lasting alliances in ways that you can't with force alone. Africa, as a direct result of Bush's largess, is one place where we have made friends and improved our global standing.

The Dad Fisherman
04-05-2008, 10:22 AM
The American public thru our reps have decided that as a prosperous country, we have a moral obligation to help out people who are less fortunate as ourselves.

Plenty of those right here in the USA....after they are taken care of I have absolutely no issue with helping other countries with there problems.

RIJIMMY
04-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Thats right. Fed bails out BS investors that take risky chances. So in essence, the Fed has socialized private losses. What about private profits. Jim, what do you think of this, the Fed socializing bank losses but not profits?

its wrong, I believe tax dollars should be spent on defense, public infrastructure and education, thats it. All the rest should be at the state level and individial level.
Businesses and Individuals - like Bear Stears, people who took sub prime mortages, the airlines, etc - should be accountable for their actions and the govt should not be bailing them out.

spence
04-05-2008, 10:38 AM
its wrong, I believe tax dollars should be spent on defense, public infrastructure and education, thats it. All the rest should be at the state level and individial level.
Businesses and Individuals - like Bear Stears, people who took sub prime mortages, the airlines, etc - should be accountable for their actions and the govt should not be bailing them out.
That's just not reality. Our entire economic system is regulated (i.e. stabilized) by the government to provide a better platform for growth.

The global economy is making things even more complicated. While it's fun to pretend we have a free market, we never really have and in the future may have to rely on even more government interference to keep our economy afloat. I'm not advocating we advance toward this position, but all options need to be on the table guided by our core principals. Our survival as a nation could depend on it.

-spence

GattaFish
04-05-2008, 11:42 AM
That's just not reality. Our entire economic system is regulated (i.e. stabilized) by the government to provide a better platform for growth.

The global economy is making things even more complicated. While it's fun to pretend we have a free market, we never really have and in the future may have to rely on even more government interference to keep our economy afloat. I'm not advocating we advance toward this position, but all options need to be on the table guided by our core principals. Our survival as a nation could depend on it.

-spence

Spence,,, your not going to believe this but I totally agree,,,,:happy:

Al Qaeda's dream is take over an oil nation by proxy to serve as base and to finance global jihad. Eventually, they hope to gain legitimacy as a political party, much like what Hezbollah has done in Lebanon.

Hezbollah is a case study on how a terrorist organization can eventually gain legitimacy. The military side power is only one component; it's not enough just to kill the enemy and then step out and hope that what emerges will be friendly - because it won't be. Hezbollah took a page from our 20th century playbook and realized that winning the hearts and minds and providing essential services to people who would otherwise go without builds lasting alliances in ways that you can't with force alone. Africa, as a direct result of Bush's largess, is one place where we have made friends and improved our global standing.

I agree with this but also think they don't really care how they take control of any oil rich nation,,,,,,, I was in FTTJ (N'djamena, Chad) in January just weeks before the Islamic militants rolled into town. Even watched Chad bomb some militant positions east of N'djamena and into the Darfur region. This is exactly why the militants have moved into Chad. It is a developing nation with fairly recent and growing oil riches and there is no question about the militants wanting to take control,,,,

The recruiting in many countries in Africa for Islamic militants is very easy. Many people already worship the Koran and in most cases only require food, water and a little preaching. So the militants provide that and eventually draw more people into their way of thinking by bending their religion to fit their idealogical beliefs and needs. In other words they are using other people to fight their idealogical battles.

BobT
04-18-2008, 05:47 PM
What about the $3.23 a gallon our troops are paying for gas in Iraq and they're paying $1.23 !! AND the $24 billion we're paying to them to help re-build when they have $60 billion in the bank because they don't know how to budget it for re-building plus all the money they're making now !!! :fury: :mad: :cens: :rocketem: