View Full Version : Fisher cats on Cape cod

moosh
04-03-2008, 06:27 PM
My buddy captured a picture of a fisher cat the other night on his motion detector camera which he uses for hunting and got picture of a fisher , the first one seen on the cape it was in the Times today. they say they make a god awful scream when they kill something has anyone ever heard this when they were out fishing in the wee hours ???I get spooked enough when Im alone, with out hearing that

JFigliuolo
04-03-2008, 06:29 PM
My buddy captured a picture of a fisher cat the other night on his motion detector camera which he uses for hunting and got picture of a fisher , the first one seen on the cape it was in the Times today. they say they make a god awful scream when they kill something has anyone ever heard this when they were out fishing in the wee hours ???I get spooked enough when Im alone, with out hearing that

got 'em that cruise by our house... WICKED loud screetchers. Mainly in the spring when maiting.

GonnaCatchABig1
04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
i've heard things... not sure if it was a fisher cat or an owl.. but god was it loud.. came from about a mile away. sounded like a teenage girl from a horror movie getting murdered.. it's only spooky the first two or three times.. it an absolutely atrocious noise though.

freebie
04-03-2008, 07:21 PM
I love the sound of coyotes killing one of the neighborhood cats(they tear my trash apart), never heard a fisher though

adson
04-03-2008, 07:28 PM
fisher cats do make a weird sound.

my dog chased one up a tree in my yard about 3 weeks ago
at about 2 in the afternoon.

usually you never see them in daylight.

GonnaCatchABig1
04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
here ya go..

http://waldo.jaquith.org/audio/mystery-animal.mp3

it's not exactly the most comforting noise to hear at night.. and trust me.. they can get more blood curdling than that. a few times i swore it was a girl screaming.. but the more unpleasant bloody gurgling scream. ofcourse he only times i've heard this thing i was out alone at 3am. (usually i have some one with me).

tell ya one thing.. it wakes you right the heck up...

moosh
04-03-2008, 08:02 PM
That was cool ,The next time I here that sound I might feel a little better .not

fishonnelsons
04-04-2008, 06:49 AM
We have 2 little Tibeten dogs, trained to attack anything that goes after their masters - high sensitive hearing.

I just turned on the sound bite, low volume, and they came screaming down from upstairs, barking, growling and looking. Wonder what that fight would look like.

JFigliuolo
04-04-2008, 07:42 AM
We have 2 little Tibeten dogs, trained to attack anything that goes after their masters - high sensitive hearing.

I just turned on the sound bite, low volume, and they came screaming down from upstairs, barking, growling and looking. Wonder what that fight would look like.

Not good... fishers are nasty fighters.

Bass Babe
04-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I caught one in a trap meant for possums one time in college. Scary! It wasn't screaming, but it was seriously angry. Too bad they're so evil -- they'd be cute like teddy bears. I'm taking extra care now to keep my cats in.

The only time I've heard one scream was my first night at the old man's house. Woke me right up, and it really was scary, especially since his house is in the middle of nowhere.

Rappin Mikey
04-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I see em all the time during the shad run. Weaselly looking things they are.

InTheHole
04-04-2008, 12:03 PM
The first time I heard one I was 14, just climbing out of my tree stand and the end of a deer hunt and this screaming start out in front of me, sounded like a woman being tortured. Scared the crap out of me!! I met my father on the way out of the woods, he had heard it too and told me it was a fisher. What an awful noise.

Rockfish9
04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
got 'em that cruise by our house... WICKED loud screetchers. Mainly in the spring when maiting.

exactly.... most of the screetching is to attract a mate...they are highly migratory, and unless there is a female denned up, they will move on after exhausting the local food supply.

They are a great reintroduction story... extinct from mass in the early 1900's a few live trapped from Vermont and reintroduced into the state now has a expanding population that inhabits areas that it did not even in colonial times...

they are elusive creatures, and the only mamal that makes a habit out of dining on porcupines....the attack starts by attacking the face, biting the slow moving tree pig until it no longer can see, it then flips them and one swift bite to the juglar and they wait for the porky to expire... then eat their prize from the belly/quilless side, leaving the skin behind.... they do get quilled on occasion, when I trapped, I always got a few each winter that had a few quills in them... mostly younger specimins...