View Full Version : Gaffs

Fishin' Blues
04-05-2008, 09:05 AM
I was watching Charlie Moore the other day. He had a gaff and the hook was tied to a hockey stick. I have about a dozen sticks I could turn into a gaff.

Does anyone know how to correctly tie one to a stick like that?

beamie
04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
This is a very common handle. Some gaffs at the "stick" end will have a 90' bend that goes into a hole drilled in the stick. From there you can wrap ss trolling wire around both handle and gaff. I used a bit of fiberglass tape and resin. Use whatever you have around the mancave. It is getting harder to find regular wooden hockey sticks lately. All the kids want the new composites which are stiff and wicked light.

I also make great bluefish poppers out of hockey sticks.

Hooper
04-05-2008, 02:31 PM
I used to mate on a boat and that was what we used. For the hook we used a huge shark hook, 12/0 or as big as we could get. Drill a small pilot hole and secure it in place with a stainless screw and then wrap it with trolling wire like Beamie recommended. The small hooks worked awesome for gaffing bluefish and even the bigger bass. Plus, if they were damaged ot lost it was only about $1.50 in materials to make a new one.

keeperreaper
04-05-2008, 04:53 PM
most homemade gaffs do use hockey stick handles. I used one with a gaff hook and trolling wire. Then I just coated the wire with 5 minute epoxy. I think the gaff hook was 5 or 6 bucks and the devcon was 2. Solid gaff for 7-.

big jay
04-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Hockey stick gaffs are badazz.

keeperreaper
04-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Hockey stick gaffs are badazz.

You got that right.

Goose
04-06-2008, 12:40 PM
If your familiar with putting a guide on a rod you won't have a problem securing a hook to a stick. When finishing a guide, thread is wrapped over a loop, fed through the loop, then pulled. When doing a gaff, double up on braid, #50 +, for the loop. Wrap your hook a tight as possible, then add the loop then continue to wrap firm over the loop 6-8 times, feed, then pull. Use gloves and or vice. I wrap with a thin rope used to tie tautog rigs(can be found at ship supply store), you can use anything like it too....brush some finish on it a few times and your golden.

pmueller
04-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I was watching Charlie Moore the other day. He had a gaff and the hook was tied to a hockey stick. I have about a dozen sticks I could turn into a gaff.

Does anyone know how to correctly tie one to a stick like that?

Hope he wasn't using the gaff on the show when he was fishing the Housatonic aired Saturday.

wassachu
04-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Gaffs are illegal in some States. I blunted the point on my gaff and put shrink tubing over the blunted point to further protect the fish. Then I carefully raised the fish by the gill. I prefer to use a net though. Is my modified gaff still a gaff and legal. When the fish is too big for my net, I use the modified gaff like with my 5ft 2in Sturgeon caught in San Pablo Bay, California.

Fishin' Blues
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks dewds. I'm going to try the ss wire and loop method, like Goose explained. Maybe put some sort of rope over the wrap to finish it off.

jredfly
04-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Used a hockey stick with a coffee can attached to it for throwing chum. Works great - Dip the can into a 5 gallon bucket of chum, saves the back and you get a nice spread with the throw. Can't take the credit for this though - got this tip from a buddy in RI.