View Full Version : Life of a battery

ProfessorM
04-06-2008, 07:37 PM
How long, ballpark, would you say a marine battery should last. I have a 2 battery set up and am going on year 6 and have had no problems, knock on wood, yet. I am considering getting new ones this year. Do you think it is time.

fishaholic18
04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
It's time Paul..You did good. Normal life is about 4 years. I just replaced a 5 year old one in my boat today...Dead as a doorknob..

ProfessorM
04-06-2008, 07:49 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks Dave. I think West Marine is having a special this month on some.

ktugboat42
04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Go to a marina or repair shop and have them do a load test on them. It will give you a good idea of how strong they are but i do agree that you should probably replace them. West and Boaters World are having sales.

fishaholic18
04-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I got a Die Hard deep cycle today at Sears for $74.95

fishaholic18
04-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Boaters World is having sale on Starting batteries for $75, the Deep Cycle is $110.. Most likely the same deal at West..

fishaholic18
04-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Paul, you said you have a two battery setup...Are they switched? If so, do you run one Starting battery and one deep cycle? I have a starting battery set on #1 to start the engine and a Deep Cycle on #2 to run my electronics.. You'll have no worries with it set up like that. Use #1 to start engine, use All or Both position when running to charge both batteries. Use #2 when drifting or sitting with engine off to run electronics... I know I'll always have a fresh battery this way.. I've sat out there for hours running my electronics, live well, radio and what have you with no worries because my starting battery is isolated and fully charged.

MrHunters
04-07-2008, 09:25 AM
you probably already know this but don't mess with the switch if the motor is running.

ProfessorM
04-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Dave I am no expert when it comes to the electronics.:scream: Always had a hard time grasping electricity.:huh: I do know the basics but that is about it. I put in my own trim tabs, radio, deck lighting, gps, fishfinder, you know all the basic stuff you need for fishing and it seems I did a decent job. I was going to ask about why you put a deep cycle battery in the mix. Mine came with 2 starting batteries, i guess they would be called, with a switch. I usually run one one battery or the other each time out. Never ran the switch on both, have no idea why just never did it. So what you are saying is get a starter and a deep cycle. Deep cycle for all the electronic stuff and starter for the obvious. I know you don't switch while underway but if you use the starter to start the engine then how do you use the deep cycle to run the electronics with out switching? Use on both setting I am guessing. Run all your electronics, wires, to the deep cycle battery and nothing to the starter except only hooked up to the switch? Probably showing how stupid I am but I am not proud and no stranger to stupid questions.:wave: I will bet I am not the only electricity challenged member. Always want to do things right so any direction is appreciated. Thanks. P.

Raven
04-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Especially when i get Zapped !!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/Zapped.jpg

and the needle nose pliers go flying lol

fishaholic18
04-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Dave I am no expert when it comes to the electronics.:scream: Always had a hard time grasping electricity.:huh: I do know the basics but that is about it. I put in my own trim tabs, radio, deck lighting, gps, fishfinder, you know all the basic stuff you need for fishing and it seems I did a decent job. I was going to ask about why you put a deep cycle battery in the mix. Mine came with 2 starting batteries, i guess they would be called, with a switch. I usually run one one battery or the other each time out. Never ran the switch on both, have no idea why just never did it. So what you are saying is get a starter and a deep cycle. Deep cycle for all the electronic stuff and starter for the obvious. I know you don't switch while underway but if you use the starter to start the engine then how do you use the deep cycle to run the electronics with out switching? Use on both setting I am guessing. Run all your electronics, wires, to the deep cycle battery and nothing to the starter except only hooked up to the switch? Probably showing how stupid I am but I am not proud and no stranger to stupid questions.:wave: I will bet I am not the only electricity challenged member. Always want to do things right so any direction is appreciated. Thanks. P.
You can switch it while running, just not to the OFF position.

MrHunters
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
You can switch it while running, just not to the OFF position.

i was told bad stuff can happen so its not worth the chance :huh:

fishaholic18
04-07-2008, 10:10 AM
i was told bad stuff can happen so its not worth the chance :huh:
Nah..Do it all the time..

macojoe
04-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I got sick of the Marine battery's, you get 1 year warrt with them and they suck!!
Seems like I was going for new battery's every other year??

Now I use car battery's, and have never looked back! I got 6 years from one and 5 from the other and they are warrt for 4 or 5 years so if they do go I get something for them!

Walfart has the best deal, they don't have the best battery's but they have 100% free replacement for like 2 years some 3 I think. I just run dry and replace just before the wartt runs out and always have fresh battery's!
Just turned the boat over yesterday and the battery's have been there since Nov not running or anything and the boat was turning over like new! I don't even take them out the boat anymore.

But I run like said this time I run #1 and next time #2 just to keep them charged up good.

Raider Ronnie
04-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Nah..Do it all the time..

Dave's right.
Ok to switch just as long as you don't turn to off while switching from 1 to 2, or 1 or 2 to both.

saltyric
04-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Most batteries have a life written on the side......I know mine say "30 months" on them.

fishaholic18
04-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Battery FAQ

Automotive batteries are meant to be constantly charged by an alternator to avoid discharge rates more than 5%.

Starting/Automotive As its name implies, starting batteries are used to start and run engines.

Automotive batteries will not tolerate deep discharging well, and will fail after a relatively small number of deep discharge cycles.

Marine/Deep-Cycle Batteries have much thicker plates , nearly seven times thicker than an automotive battery.

Deep cycle batteries withstand greater abuse and thousands of charging cycles and have much greater service life .

Deep cycle batteries do not, however, have as great cranking or burst power, being designed to provide power over longer periods of time.

ProfessorM
04-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Instead of switching from one battery to another can't you just leave it on the both position of the switch? What would be the benefit or determinant of using that position on the switch?
I'd say 80% of my fishing is trolling so I don't go long periods of time with the electronics on without the engine running so maybe I don't need a deep cycle so much as someone who drifts and anchors up. My switch is a little bit of a PIA to be always reaching for the change from one to another. If having a deep cycle and a starting battery is advantageous then that is what I will do. P.

beamie
04-09-2008, 12:43 PM
PM,

I leave mine in both. The only time I switch is if I am running the live well with the engine off. The batteries will technically not get charged at the same rate.

The best overall solution is to install a battery isolator. This way you can leave the starting battery just for the engine, the deep cycle just for the aux. The isolator will charge which ever battery needs charging. However leaving the switch in both makes it one big battery on a 1,2 both switch. Best to have a fancier swicth or 2 independent switches with means to parallel just incase you need it. Only down side is there is a small voltage drop on some isolators. Not a big deal. But this does create the problem of more wires. I am a firm believer that fewer wires in a marine enviroment the better.