View Full Version : any togs in your neck of the woods?????

breakfast fish
10-19-2002, 04:45 PM
went out yesterday for togs, right in front of the jamestown bridge. my fishing buddy guaranteed fish there, we laugh and joke all the way to the spot. once we set anchor, the togs started to bite the moment the bait got down to the bottom. started with worms got up to 20 fish, but short of length. this was my first time hunting for togs and what an experience it was. the first surge of the tog felt like a good bass and all of the sudden u can't move the fish. the worms started to go really quick from other critters, scup, seabass, and rocks...........we changed to crabs and everything just got out of hand. the crabs were like filet mignon to togs. the moment we tighten our slack, there was something tasting our filets. hooked up some good fish average 8lbs, and again the bait started to disappear quicker than the togs could order them for lunch. will try the conimicut light house after the restaurant is closed. have anyone been trying to hunt down these bulldogs of the rocks. oh, yeah i'll be the one in a kayak with an anchor line stuck to the rocks of the light house

Striper SniperX
10-30-2002, 02:04 AM
Hey
So, How was the tog fishing at Conimicut Light?? Any-Luck?

How did you rig them crabs that the togs were takin like crazy?
what kind of rig/ #hooks and weight?
I am interested in casting near the Conimicut Light.... this weekend,,,want to know if it's worth it.....

Kayak? Be careful in a boat that small in Conimicut--- i notice it's almost always a little choppy ---wear a life jacket ;)

Have a good one!

breakfast fish
10-30-2002, 01:49 PM
i wasn't in my kayak. i took my other craft for the togs. the rig was simple, i'm using 30 lb line at the end was a sinker 2-3 oz. inbetween were #4 short shank hooks with a leader of 6 inches from the main line. we used green crabs, broke them in halves, removed the limbs and in goes the hook out to one of the limb holes. the action was great but u have to get close to the lighthouse and anchor up. get ready to lose some tackle, had a few fish we couldn't budge. how did i know? could still feel them when they are in the rock. if u don't have any luck within the first 15 minutes i move to western side of the light house. the other spot i'm getting good fish is at hope island and the jamestown area. just to let u know how good the togs action was, we went through 2 quarts of crabs in an hour and had 18 keepers. good luck.