View Full Version : Interior vehicle rod rack (rod loft pro)

Mr. Sandman
04-10-2008, 06:35 AM
I am considering getting the LLBEAN ROD LOFT PRO http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ShowZoom?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&prodImagePath=%2Fproducts%2Fsporting_gear_apparel% 2F36033%2Fimages%2F&prodColor=&categoryId=36033&productId=563019&feat=&component=&itemExposureFlag=Y&imageFunctionIndicator=5

For my XL . Have any of you guys used this? If so how do you like it?

Finatic
04-10-2008, 07:35 AM
I like Mine. Use it in the wife's Grand Cherokee.

fishsmith
04-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Thats pretty cool, gets me into 'jury rigging mode' thinking of how a shower curtain tension rod could could be the backbone to do the same thing, then tie a rope betwen the back seat 'holy shi&' handles for support ......hmmmmm......

nightprowler
04-10-2008, 08:38 AM
I have used this system and it works pretty well.
I also use it in the house...
http://www.rodsaver.com/04_rodsaver/VRC.html

Brother Brian
04-10-2008, 09:23 AM
I got it. I've used it and I think it's barely marginal. If you put ONLY fly rods in it, it'll work fine but heavier rods (with reels) tend to 'drop through the black foam inserts and, unless you secure the extenders (at the end of the pole) in the back it 'slides'. After having it I realized that if I got and secured a beefy pole across the back, put insulating foam around it and velcro straps, I could carry a far greater range of rods. Thats the back, the front rod holders are too small for the guides of some of my surf rods. Again, a velcro strap on a cushioned cross piece fits all. Nightprowler's rodsaver is FAR better in my opinion.

Mr. Sandman
04-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for that...maybe I'll pass. I was hoping it would hold 6 surf rods with reels and stay there while on bumpy off road conditions.
The only thing I don't like about the strap is that I would think it would flop around a lot while the pole would be secure. I don't need another project at the moment to build something and just want to buy a rod holder for inside the truck.

nightfighter
04-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Jim,
I have it and like it. Not perfect, but.... I locate the bars where I can use a wire tie to secure over the clothes hangers inside my Tahoe. This is because the suction cups will come unstuck, as the windows angle outward. And yes, the black foam inserts do not always fit correctly on the rear. But it's the best I found two years ago.

Adam_777
04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I have the holders in the bed of my truck under the cover.Like stated earlier it's not built for surf rods with reels.I'll be fabricating another way to transport mine.May see a set of the holders in the classifieds soon.

Mr. Sandman
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I picked up the rodsaver from basspro for 17 bucks, I figured what the hell. I hooked it up and adjusted it and it works for me. Holds heavy rods no problem. It is pretty simple....basically a belt with Velcro loops for the rod and clips for attaching the belt to the hook and/or handle. It moves around a little but it is great for my need. I will still use my roof rack but this is nice for bringing more gear with me and not having to shuffle it around . I can leave a fly rod/ light and med spin rods in the vehicle all the time and just leave them in there all the time. This is not a fancy set up by any means but for 17 bucks it is plug and play. Thanks

Gunpowder
04-18-2008, 12:04 AM
I was hoping it would hold 6 surf rods with reels and stay there while on bumpy off road conditions.

South beach parking lot in Katama??? :jump:

last year my expedition was tilted to the "port side" after i nailed a pot hole in that parking lot... as soon as i did it i knew i had screwed something up and sure enough the "suspension light" comes flashing on.... that was a blast.