View Full Version : Best Fluke Week

Got Stripers
04-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Ok I'm not a fluke guy, but happened into a couple nice ones last year and as luck would have it out of season. My brother-in-law was with me and he loved the variety of the deep jig bite, bass, blues, fluke and the yummy black sea bass. He has committed to spending a week with me this summer.

We'd like to see the same mixed bag, but he'd really like to put some fluke and black sea bass in his cooler. The week would be spent between Westport and the Vineyard. Not looking for spots, only what others might see as "prime time" based on tides, moon phases, just not sure if this is similar to Bass. I'm inclined to take August 1-10th off so I can be fishing the incoming in the morning and the turn early afternoon, on the 1st quarter moon, any bottom fishing guys want to chime in.

The other possible target might be tuna, can anyone suggest a good guide down that way that we might hit for a day and learn a thing or two. I'm personally looking to investigate speed jigging as a method, I'm not set up for trolling big spreads, nor do I want to; so I'd want to hook up with a guide that might specialize in that method or casting.

BassyiusMaximus
04-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Anytime during open season here in MA is good. Anytime I go out and want to catch fluke I get them, yes, I might be that good as the fish are pretty easy to catch, and it is only when the tide stops or slows down that the fishing for them does as well.

MrHunters
04-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Anytime during open season here in MA is good. Anytime I go out and want to catch fluke I get them, yes, I might be that good as the fish are pretty easy to catch, and it is only when the tide stops or slows down that the fishing for them does as well.

geesh...........

toot toot.

BassyiusMaximus
04-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Not hard to catch, just find a rip, drift through with bait/bucktail/curlyworm, jig a little and viola! Not too hard. Perhaps as there are none on the North Shore, they might be tough to catch, south of the Cape, they almost blanket the bottom in season.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/thundra04struck/flukeinbucket.jpg

Anything of value to add MH?

Mr. Sandman
04-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Tuna has been a hit or miss story in this neck of the woods in the area you mentioned. If you want to run a few hours then its more hit than miss but if they show up in RI sound and the mouth of BB and Vineyard Sound is anyones guess. I have my fingers crossed. The good news is if they show...you should be able to target them on light spin gear or jigging. I only troll a spread when I run offshore.

As for fluke and other tasty bottom dwellers: This should not present a problem and is the mainstay of the boat fisherman here all summer. Bucktails with a strip of bait in deep water using braid should get the job done. You may need to stem the tide a little if it is running hard. If you put in a little time you will crack the code to the haunts of the mighty doormat running in the range of 8-14#

InTheHole
04-10-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't follow moon phases when fluke / sea bass fishing but I can tell you that while we do well all season, the last part of the season in August always seems to provide the best quality fish. When the season was open thru august the last 2 weeks into the beginning of september were the best with some really nice fluke and monster sea bass.
I fish the same areas you are talking about and the fish seem to bite better with a running tide, but that said I have also done pretty well during slack if there was enough breeze to keep the drift going.

MrHunters
04-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Anything of value to add MH?

never caught a one. not up here, don't target them.

i was just kidding man.. relax huh?

you havn't posted in a while and the first one i see is you saying how great you are. i know you catch fish but that deserves a little ribbing, don't ya think?

macojoe
04-11-2008, 06:30 PM
This is for the Vineyard were I fish.Fluke any time from mid June thur July is the best!! Strip of Squid for your first fish, then use fresh Fluke strips for bait, Go deep for large.

Sea Bass is the same time frame and will bite the same squid baits. Fish oyster beds, rocks, wrecks, and you be good to go. Big ones are deep.

Ma. Regs are:

Fluke: 17 1/2" and 5 fish each person, If you are in the right spot you can catch that in 1/2 hour.

Sea Bass: 12" 20 fish a day each

Good Luck!!

Mr. Sandman
04-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Maco...are those the fluke regs for 08? Did they make any changes from 07? I have been keeping my eyes peeled but they seem to be making no changes. I heard all the states would be making some adjustments

Frankly I wish they would extend the season thru Sept and up the size to 20"

macojoe
04-11-2008, 11:30 PM
As far as I know thats the 08 numbers, I have heard they want to change things also, but I think they going to wait till next year??
I have heard a lot of storys to lowering the bag limt. to rasing the size to shutting it down all toghter??

They being quite about it right now, maybe thinking no one will buy a saltwater lic?
That will be great start the lic and close the fishery, the way things go today thats about right!!

ProfessorM
04-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Regulations same as last year for rec.'s is what I was told by guy in booth at show. I too would like a later season. Joe I really hope we can hook up this year. Luv to fish on your new boat.

macojoe
04-12-2008, 08:53 AM
We will make it happen Paul!! :wavey:

"Lou"
04-17-2008, 08:40 AM
http://www.risaa.org/regs.html

Is this updated? It says the current regs for Fluke in RI are 7 fish at 20", no closed season?

"Lou"