View Full Version : New to Rhode Island

Dinsdale
04-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I've spent all my fishing time around Casco Bay Maine, but we just sold the family cottage up there after 50 years and bought a place in Portsmouth RI. I can't wait to fish some waters with some actual...fish.

I've mostly groundfished, jigged for mackerel, or chunked for stripers/blues, without much luck in recent years. I understand there are quite a few other species in the bay that I'm not really familiar with (fluke, tautog, scup, black bass). I was hoping to get some general info about what fish are around the Upper/Mid bay (and when) and the best lures/baits to use.

I don't want all your secrets, just something to get me going. I'll be boat fishing from a 24' Grady. Any other boating tips (family day trip destinations, good marinas, etc) for Narragansett Bay would be really appreciated, too! I'm looking forward to a great season.

Thanks

Raven
04-11-2008, 07:47 PM
a big welcome to S-B.com :wave:

you've come to the right place....

the fishing here is spectacular ........as you will soon find out.

If you'll look at the different forums you'll get an idea just how much info is here and it's quite a large fishing community with a great bunch of guys and gals.

JohnR
04-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Dinsdale - welcome to S-B...

Plenty of basses and blues - just look for rocks ;)

zacs
04-11-2008, 09:35 PM
welcome.

now that you have introduced yourself here, i would post you questions on the main forum. you will get many more views/responses there.

Zac

basswipe
04-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Welcome aboard.

I fish the Portsmouth shoreline extensively.If I can find some decent time and you want to get out of the boat on occasion we can certainly "hook up".

smac
04-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Dont waste your time. Sell the boat. There's no fish in RI. :spin:

Dinsdale
04-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Hope to see you guys out there and learn from the best! I'm right around the Pirate Cove Marina. Can't wait to put the boat to some good use.

jemc
04-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Dinsdale:
My name is John and I keep my boat a stone's throw away from yours. I am in Tiverton about 4 houses north of the Sakonnet River Bridge. Based on my experience you will be better off fishing the Sakonnet River, the Newport Beaches, Sakonnet Point and Little Compton. Personally, I hate fishing in the Bay. I find it to be extremely crowded and almost always rough from all the boat traffic.
Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. See you out there!
JEMc

jimmy z
04-17-2008, 09:34 PM
:wavey: Welcome. I fish SoCo, and you'll always find me there rock hoppin"