View Full Version : price fixing

Bigcat
04-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Anyone notice all the major tackle manufacturers have fixed prices on their gear?
I have been to a few shows this season haven't found anything but full retail.
I guess that is why Internet sales are attractive, you can hunt around get free shipping and no sales tax.

gone fishin
04-13-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't think you see too much price fixing, but I see plenty of phony retail pricing going on. By that I mean they price an item and then advertise it at 50% or some unrealistic discount. If a vendor can afford to sell an item at 50% off consistently. I for one how fairly that item may be priced to start with.
I have been in the retail trade for many years and know that major stores have to offer an item for a particular price before putting a huge discounted price on it.

mikecc
04-14-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't think you see too much price fixing, but I see plenty of phony retail pricing going on. By that I mean they price an item and then advertise it at 50% or some unrealistic discount. If a vendor can afford to sell an item at 50% off consistently. I for one how fairly that item may be priced to start with.
I have been in the retail trade for many years and know that major stores have to offer an item for a particular price before putting a huge discounted price on it.

You could not be more wrong.
For the last 12-15 years or so . Companies like Shimano ,Quantum ,VS ,Daiwa ,Penn and others have ste minimum retail Prices on most of their product.
If we are cought selling below minimum they will no longer sell any product to the shop who violated the minimum set price.
There is ways around the minimuns if you get creative.:btu:

Gunpowder
04-14-2008, 12:15 PM
There is ways around the minimuns if you get creative.:btu:

that is why you will see a lot more of me this summer.... cant believe it took me so long to find your store :)

gone fishin
04-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Mike -
I am not refering to the suggested retail on items such as you mention, but on items that the big box stores are selling. A store such a Khol's will post their retail price on an item at 50% off "their" retail and you can find the item at their 50 off price every day in other stores including Macys. That is the Macy stores retail price and when they do markdown the goods it is legit. That mark up and show a big discount practice is used at many "big"stores daily. That includes some so called discount stores also.:uhuh:
As far as your individual pricing, you are fair with the customers and that keeps you in business. I think you mistook my meaning of price fixing. If one wants to look for deep discounts just go to flea bay and they are there. Probably the reel that you found was missing last week from your showcase is there at a real deal price..:wall: