View Full Version : Should I stay or should I go?

Big Vern
10-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Ughhh...I'm sitting here in my office in the midst of a dilemna. I don't have anything on my plate this afternoon, the fiance's traveling for the night, and I want to get some bass. Do I drive all the way to the Canal (From Boston) or should I try one of my spots around here. Pros and cons on both sides. On one hand, I've got an hour drive, minimum three jig contribution to the ditch, and a shot at some real fish. On the other hand, I've got a twenty minute ride, a few rubber sacrifices to the blues, and a shot at some keeper fish.

...I think I'll be on the rocks...

MountainBreeze
10-22-2002, 12:30 PM
Man Don... Whish I had your "problem!" ;)

If it were me... I'd take the 20 min drive. More time to fish!

Good luck!
Rob

JohnR
10-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Go to the Ditch and get the big fish. You odds of fish may be less but the chances of runing into something very large increases :D

Big Vern
10-22-2002, 12:47 PM
Yeah...it's going to be the ditch. It seems as though I only seem to be catching 24-30 inch fish lately now that my boat tricks have been put away for the winter. No bigger no smaller for about a month. I can't explain it. I'm not complaining, and I had some fun on Saturday on the backside Cape beaches banging out some of those bass on every cast for about two hours in the middle of the day. Just cast the tin over the sandbar, and BOOM! Every time. Some fellas walking by who were obviously from p-town were very impressed, and stood there squealing for a few minutes. It was fun.

Nevertheless, I need some large, and will be all bundled up at the ditch later on...

MountainBreeze
10-22-2002, 01:07 PM
I guess that's the difference between you pros and me being a newbie.

Me... I'm happy to catch ANY fish (even a blue - wihch is all I ever catch).

You folks are out for the COWs! ;)

Hopefully I'll be hangin' w/ the pros one of these days. Until then... Here little schoolie! ;)

Again, Good luck,
Rob

Big Vern
10-22-2002, 01:16 PM
Don't kid yourself...

I'm NO pro. In fact, I had only caught two keeper bass from shore in my life before this year. Albeit, the number's grown considerably this year thanks in part to the folks here and their tremendous insight.

Believe me I just like to catch one fish per outing myself. Hell, Sunday had me sprinting down the beach in order to pull out a single bluefish to prevent the skunk for the day of fishing.

It's once you get that first big bass that you look at the little fish a bit differently. I still have a schoolie spot where I learned to fish that I still fish regularly and I only pull micros from it. It's just fun.

Keep with it....big stripers will come your way if you fish enough.

JohnR
10-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Don - glad you found a couple things to help your fishing out...

Rob - the way I'm looking at it is, the bigger bass will be moving on south so now is the time to chase them if you want to. Once they are gone, there are still places to fish for & catch schoolies if you are still inclined to do so. Nothing about being a pro or not. I'm not a pro, competent? Perhaps. Pro? Nope - takes a lot of work & sacrafice to get there. What this site can do is help shorten the learning curve a little for you. You still need to put the time in but you may be able to avoid a lot of our mistakes... :btu:

MountainBreeze
10-22-2002, 01:48 PM
QUOTE:
"You still need to put the time in"

Yeah... I hear ya' guys and believe me... I'm gettin' a ton o' tips from ya'! :)

Let us know how you make out at "The Ditch" Don!

Good luck,
Rob

BTW:
I still haven't made it over to Misquam but might try Sat afternoon / eve. I plan on parking near the Andrea Hotel and fishing below the hotel and walking the beach to the right.

Does this sound like a good plan or should I focus my efforts elsewhere?