View Full Version : turn signals

Nebe
04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
why can people not grasp the fact that 'blinkahs' are to actually warn people to prepare themselves that you are about to slow down and turn?? Is it that hard? I like to throw on my turn signals about 5 seconds before i actually put my foot on the brakes.. But what gets me are the idiots who slam on their brakes, then wait until they start turning to turn on their blinker... idiots.....

Down in North Carolina, people put on their turn signals when the car infront of them is going to turn so that everyone knows the car up ahead is going to turn...

Ok rant is over....

BigFish
04-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I could not agree more...problem is the reason they do not use them is they are on the cell phone or smokin' a butt or holding a drink or putting on their makeup or scratching a scratch ticket or reading a map book!!!

GonnaCatchABig1
04-14-2008, 11:21 PM
that and the 40mph right up to the stop sign on streets off the main road. drives me nuts.

as for north carolina... no wonder they cant drive in the snow.. they have it to easy in nice weather. :hihi:

Bass Babe
04-15-2008, 12:17 AM
What about the "Cape Special"? The person in front of you comes to a dead stop for no apparent reason...oh, yeah, they stopped to let a person without the right of way pull out onto the road. Sometimes courtesy spills overboard into idiocy.

Raven
04-15-2008, 04:46 AM
plus your supposed to have them on for 100 feet before turning :shocked:

BMEUPSCOTTY
04-15-2008, 07:34 AM
What about the "Cape Special"? The person in front of you comes to a dead stop for no apparent reason...oh, yeah, they stopped to let a person without the right of way pull out onto the road. Sometimes courtesy spills overboard into idiocy.

OOhhh, you hit one of my biggest peeves. "Courtesy". Way back when we started driving, they created the right of way rules so that traffic would keep flowing. It absolutely kills me when I am approaching a four way stop, I am still moving, and there is one other vehicle already stopped. Instead of just going, they sit there and wait until I come to a complete stop. Either they don't think I am going to stop (which I doubt, cause I approach slowly, downshifting) or they are waiting for me to wave them through. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY DUMBASS!!! GO ALREADY! Why do you think when I am approaching the same intersection and estimate that it is going to be a "tie" between me and one or more cars I stop a few feet short of the line so I will be the first to go?!?

pmueller
04-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Unfortunately, there's only one turn signal being used these days.
:1poke:
The driving situation is really a bad situation. So many people die on our roads needlessly. For whatever reason.

Eliot
04-15-2008, 07:49 AM
This thread got me wound up.

I'm sick and tired of all the trash I see along our roads and in parking lots.

I had a car in front of me in Taunton the other night that opened a window and threw two bags of fast food wrapers out the window onto Rt 140.

I proceeded to follow them closely as I was going to have a "discussion" with them the next time they stopped. My wife was with me and realized what I was thinking.......scary in it's own right....., and convinced me to just drive home.

The next time this happens and she is not with me I'm gonna follow them home, wait till they go inside and cut all four valve stems. SHMG.

Pete_G
04-15-2008, 08:06 AM
OOhhh, you hit one of my biggest peeves. "Courtesy". Way back when we started driving, they created the right of way rules so that traffic would keep flowing. It absolutely kills me when I am approaching a four way stop, I am still moving, and there is one other vehicle already stopped. Instead of just going, they sit there and wait until I come to a complete stop. Either they don't think I am going to stop (which I doubt, cause I approach slowly, downshifting) or they are waiting for me to wave them through. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY DUMBASS!!! GO ALREADY! Why do you think when I am approaching the same intersection and estimate that it is going to be a "tie" between me and one or more cars I stop a few feet short of the line so I will be the first to go?!?

I'm right there with you Bass Babe and BMEUPSCOTTY, that one REALLY ticks me off too. Let's make ALL the vehicles on the road stop and then do the one thing that comsumes the MOST gas possible, accelerate from a stop... :wall:

And turn signals do seem to have become increasingly rare thanks to various distractions and/or simply poor driving skills. I've been using my horn more generously in "no turn signal" incidents.

The Dad Fisherman
04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
"Everyone that drives slower than me is an A$$hole, Everyone that Drives faster than me is a Maniac." - George Carlin :hee:

Nebe
04-15-2008, 10:06 AM
I knew this would fire everyone up :hihi:

horn broken... watch for finger. :hee:

eastendlu
04-15-2008, 10:12 AM

We don't have that courtesy driving problem in New York.:laugha:

Eliot
04-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Well S-B'ers I made a serious mistake earlier this morning. I went for a 3 mile walk with my wife and we actually had a conversation. I know I know a bad idea but I did. I mentioned my decision to modify the valve stems of cars I observe littering......whew did I get an earful!!!!!! "You cannot be the World's Policeman." "Cutting the valve stems is just as bad as their littering...etc, etc....."

So I have decided not to do this. Instead I will obtain some blank bumpa stickas, write I am a Litterbug on them and slap them on the trunk lid of the offender.

Ah I feel better already. :jump1:

Plum Crazy
04-15-2008, 10:46 AM
What about when you are driving along at a nice steady clip and some idiot pulls out of a side street in front of you and takes the next right?
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR:fury::realmad:

Plum Crazy
04-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Well S-B'ers I made a serious mistake earlier this morning. I went for a 3 mile walk with my wife and we actually had a conversation. I know I know a bad idea but I did. I mentioned my decision to modify the valve stems of cars I observe littering......whew did I get an earful!!!!!! "You cannot be the World's Policeman." "Cutting the valve stems is just as bad as their littering...etc, etc....."

So I have decided not to do this. Instead I will obtain some blank bumpa stickas, write I am a Litterbug on them and slap them on the trunk lid of the offender.

Ah I feel better already. :jump1:

Just go to Staples and get that sticky computer paper.
You can make 8.5 x 11 bumper stickers.:jump::laugha:

fishbones
04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I used to think the worst drivers were in Boston. Then I moved to RI and realized that Boston drivers can't hold a candle to some of the drivers I see in Providence every day. At least in Boston (and NYC for that matter), you can predict the unbelievably rude and careless maneuvers by the drivers all around you. In Providence, I have people cut in front of me when their turn signal is indicating that they are going to move into the lane on their other side. Almost daily, I get one of the beauties who decides that he or she needs to cross 3 lanes to take exit 24 when it's only 50 feet ahead. And, just this morning, I had a kid cut in front of me without using a turn signal and then threw a banana peel out his window almost hitting a woman at the bus stop next to him. I think he was actually throwing it at her. Thanks for starting the thread, Eben. I too feel better after venting.

Eliot
04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Just go to Staples and get that sticky computer paper.
You can make 8.5 x 11 bumper stickers.:jump::laugha:

Hey......I already have some. Ya just saved me money and........I can type some cool woiding on them foist!!!!!

:gu:Yeah baby !!!!!!

Swimmer
04-15-2008, 11:06 AM
My dad when giving driving lessons told me at least one telephone pole before you turn you should signal your intention to do so. i HEAR YOUR PAIN nEBE.

Jimbo
04-15-2008, 11:45 AM
I believe these have in part led to my being treated for hypertension:
Turning without signalling ( a sickness with drivers here in NJ).
Right turn at a stop sign or red light without even slowing down.
Someone pulling out of a side street in front of you when there's noone behind you.
When you're approaching an intersection and the person comes in fast from the right, stopping in the intersection, a car length past the stop line making you think they aren't stopping so you swerve or jam on the brakes.

Plum Crazy
04-15-2008, 12:55 PM
I believe these have in part led to my being treated for hypertension:
Turning without signalling ( a sickness with drivers here in NJ).
Right turn at a stop sign or red light without even slowing down.
Someone pulling out of a side street in front of you when there's noone behind you.
When you're approaching an intersection and the person comes in fast from the right, stopping in the intersection, a car length past the stop line making you think they aren't stopping so you swerve or jam on the brakes.

I wonder how old we'd live to be if half this crap didn't happen to us everyday?

FishermanTim
04-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Let's see....
Not using turn signals is as common as a Boston city rat.
My personal fav's are the 3 lane shift (without signal) that cuts off multiple drivers.
3 times I have seen idiots that decided that double yellow lines don't apply to them, so they proceeded to pass me on a 2 lane road.
I guess they think their miserably worthless excuse for existance is more important than someone else's life.
(When ever I encounter this behavior, I pray that they wrap themselves around a tree, ridding the roads of at least one problem.)

Another one is when approaching an intersection that has a "right turn only" lane, and the jacka$$es figure they can get a jump on everyone else by going straight when the light changes.

How about the "special" drivers that haven't learned or weren't taught in their fly-by-night drivers ed class that "it's a two lane road when there is a dividing line (single line) down the center.
I love the reactions I get when I proceed from a 2 lane to a single lane road and ride dead center in the lane, as these "Einsteins" are trying to pass me.

Of course there's always the issue of speeding, but that's for another thread.....

gone fishin
04-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Using signals = warning the enemy.
Never turn right unless inthe center of the road.
Always STOP before turning right.
Always thank courtious drivers with one finger.
LEAD FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Joe
04-15-2008, 06:06 PM
People see the turn signal and figure you are a fresh fish, ripe for "road bullying." If the road was prison, polite people would be wearing a pink ribbon on their heads and washing their cellmate's clothes.

BMEUPSCOTTY
04-15-2008, 11:49 PM
The construction on 24 between Fall River and Raynham, everyone getting in the passing lane to allow the Galleria Shoppers (you know, the ones with the YEILD SIGN) get on the highway. "Solid line? What solid line? Stay in lane? What does that mean?" Its worse on the southbound side, one of those on ramps has a stop sign and still everyone moves left. The thing is I am in the minority when I try to TRAVEL in the TRAVEL lane through there, so I guess Im the idiot. Teaching people that someone is always going to let you in is dangerous.

Swimmer
04-16-2008, 10:48 AM
People see the turn signal and figure you are a fresh fish, ripe for "road bullying." If the road was prison, polite people would be wearing a pink ribbon on their heads and washing their cellmate's clothes.
:jump::jump:AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH

striperman36
04-16-2008, 11:17 AM
The construction on 24 between Fall River and Raynham, everyone getting in the passing lane to allow the Galleria Shoppers (you know, the ones with the YEILD SIGN) get on the highway. "Solid line? What solid line? Stay in lane? What does that mean?" Its worse on the southbound side, one of those on ramps has a stop sign and still everyone moves left. The thing is I am in the minority when I try to TRAVEL in the TRAVEL lane through there, so I guess Im the idiot. Teaching people that someone is always going to let you in is dangerous.
I can't wait to tow thru that area this summer

DRUMCORPFAN
04-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I think I have the turn signal thing figured out, No need to use a signal because you know where your going.:scream:

Tagger
04-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Staties are now pulling people over on Mass Pike for changing lanes without a blinker .. Using a blinker is kind of a catch 22 ... Being curtious on the road does not pay .. If you use a blinker to change lanes 9 out of ten times the other driver your showing courtisy too,,will speed up so you can't get over .. Driving in Boston looking before merging into traffic is a sign of weakness and you will not be allowed to merge .. Solution ?? Look without turning your head .. like out the corner of your eye and go ... Courtious drivers just mess up the flow of traffic .. I didn't make the rules ,, thats the way it is .. .. How about drivers that use the slow lane as thier own personal passing lane.. Try getting on rte. 24 in Brockton when everyone coming up from New Bedford is going 75 in the slow/merging lane. Look straight ahead and hit the gas ,,, they'll adjust . I've been driving in and around Boston for 24 yrs.. could be a cab driver there .. Alot of 128 driving also .. Think NASCAR

justplugit
05-01-2008, 03:33 PM
... hows about the ones you follow for 40 miles with the turn signal on....

i resemble that comment. :hihi: