View Full Version : What materials

Lbifisherman429
04-14-2008, 08:17 PM
What wood is good to turn
what thru wire
what plug lips
Weights?
grommets?

i am going to start and want to get a feel for what i need to purchase to be successful

jkswimmer
04-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Do a search plenty of info here. Some basics are birch for sinkers and pineor cedar for floaters.

Tagger
04-15-2008, 03:41 AM
what thru wire
what plug lips
Weights?
grommets?

i am going to start and want to get a feel for what i need to purchase to be successful

Check sponsors right here...all that stuff here..

CapeCod Tackle
NJ Tackle
Salty Bugger

What part of the country do you live in ?

Lbifisherman429
04-15-2008, 05:17 AM
I live in Jersey

what size gromets and weights

johnny ducketts
04-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Look at the sponsors websites and maybe pick up some kits to get a feel for what you will need. Good luck :uhuh:

Striperknight
04-15-2008, 08:21 AM
What happened to your quest for kits?

Mr. Sandman
04-15-2008, 09:27 AM

DON'T DO IT!!! Take my advice, it is cheaper just to buy plugs, not to mention the HOURS and HOURS invested. This is worse then alcoholism.

Lbifisherman429
04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
What happened to your quest for kits?

I have most of the tools so i am going to give a shot a turning my own (never used a lathe before)

So what Hardware do you recommend getting

Also any tips will be greatly appreciated

scottw
04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
ya know, you could always ask someone to invite you to stay with them at their house for a week or two and you could take notes :hee:

Tagger
04-15-2008, 02:42 PM
DON'T DO IT!!! Take my advice, it is cheaper just to buy plugs, not to mention the HOURS and HOURS invested. This is worse then alcoholism.

words of wisdom here.. I could have a fantastic collection of vintage plugs just from the money I wasted on different epoxys.. There are no free plugs ...

Lbifisherman429
04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
what is reccomened for hardware to start

The Dad Fisherman
04-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Tail Grommets and Nose Grommets are prety much a necessity. if you don't when you tighten up the thru wire you'll dig right into the wood. You don't need to use belly grommets. I do but a lot of guys don't and they are fine.

Then you're looking for thru-wire, swivels, split rings (optional) and hooks.

That should just about do it for you in regards to hardware.

ThrowingTimber
04-17-2008, 01:56 PM
There isnt much sense in going out and buying a ton of stuff.

step 1. figure out what you'd like to make, and gather the necessary materials to make that. Once you've figured that out/ got it where you're happy with it go onto another design/plug.

fishbones
04-17-2008, 02:10 PM
There isnt much sense in going out and buying a ton of stuff.

step 1. figure out what you'd like to make, and gather the necessary materials to make that. Once you've figured that out/ got it where you're happy with it go onto another design/plug.

Great advice.

You have asked about what to buy, but you haven't said what type of plugs you want to build.:huh: Like TDF said, you need grommets. But what size depends on what you are building. Same thing with hooks, split rings and swivels. Even if you are set on doing it yourself, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a kit for the type of plug you want to make. It can be used as a prototype for your own plugs.
It would also give you a great idea of where to drill holes, put weights, etc....

You've been given a lot of great advice from guys here that make some unbelievable plugs. Check the sponsor sites, use the search function and pay attention. People are very willing to help, but you have to at least put some effort in yourself.

Lbifisherman429
04-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Here are the balns that i turned what lips if any do i need

GattaFish
04-17-2008, 03:13 PM
what thru wire
what plug lips
Weights?
grommets?

Honestly you have not given us much to go on...

Like Timber said... What type do you want to build? I have to say with the prices on kits the sponsors here have I would honestly start there,,,, I have bought some and they are top notch,,,,

Wood... depends on the type of plug. surface, sub-surface, metal-lip, needle, spook,,, so back to step one,,, decide on what you want to build.

Wire. The sponsors have it pre-cut and bent for cheap. the best way to start.. .062 stainless

Lips. The sponsors have the names of the lips based on the type of plug. Still need to know what type your building.

Weights. Belly or tail. start small and go up from there. Placement depends on type of plug and the action you want.

grommets... buy the grommets that fit the size of the swivel your going to use..

Most sponsors have made it really easy just visit their websites.

Also I know everyone said it and your tired of hearing it but I can almost guarantee that all the questions you have can easily be answered by using the search button on this site,,,, even the guys that have been building for years still use it.

Charleston
04-17-2008, 03:22 PM
LBI;
Most of the guys are skirting your questions because you don't seem to want to do anything for yourself. Start reading the search forums. Research what type of plug gets what type of Lip, grommet, wire, eyes etc.
Just like when you were looking for Kits. You want someone else to do everything for you!
Most of the guys here ask very specific questions because they have taken the time to research and learn. Those are the guys that get good answers.

BTW, you are getting some good experience turning wood but so far nopthing resembles a plug. Do some research and figure out what a pikie looks like. Maybe a polaris popper. Then turn one. Then come back and ask what lip goes on a 2.5 oz. AYC unweighted pikie. I'll bet you get an answer.

This forum is a discussion area not a free clinic.

Lbifisherman429
04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the help.

the close up is an attempt at a danny

Tagger
04-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the help.

the close up is an attempt at a danny

we all work on/study one plug at a time .. A danny is a good start . Now do your homework about dannys .. To know Danny's is to know Gibbs,Pichney,Lupo,Beachmaster many more... different sizes,, There are some large Pichney Dannys. My ears perked up this year when a well known fisher made the comment the most productive danny he ever fished was a lupo blue/white.. I scored one off ebay and will fish it this year. Its a hobby , enjoy it . Be the master of a plug .. Not the practitioner of many ...