View Full Version : a few Danny plugs

steelhead
04-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Been playing with different profiles trying to see what will work better in heavier current. Two Pinchney profiles (top) and two of my own (fat bodies). So far, the fat boys seem to do better....

Backbeach Jake
04-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Very nice looking plugs. Like the fatties a lot.

steelhead
04-15-2008, 06:13 AM
I must still be asleep. The middle two are the fatties. Top and bottom are the Pinchney profiles.

numbskull
04-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Been playing with different profiles trying to see what will work better in heavier current. Two Pinchney profiles (top) and two of my own (fat bodies). So far, the fat boys seem to do better....

Neat. Top's a bootleg, bottom a surface swimmer, and the middle two yours? Flap has some Bassmaster's he swears by that are shaped very much like yours. The extra buoyancy probably keeps it pivoting as you are forced to swim it faster in current. A smaller lip and higher line tie may be worth trying as well. Not a big fan of the bootleg shape although it casts well and works OK in longer plugs (like 8"). Shorter ones seem to swim more like a Rebel than a Danny. Nice to see you back building.

Flaptail
04-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Go with the bottom one. Trust me.

steelhead
04-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Your comment on the Bootleg is interesting. It doesn't "swim" like Danny and that has sort of put me off on it. Sonds like I sould try making a bigger one. I've not used the other Pinchney profile that much, but it sounds like I ought to give it a serious go.

I ended up sending these to a buddy of mine in Rhode Island to et his thoughts on them. He fished a herring run at night down there on the dropping tide. At this particular spot, the slightly shorter fat one is the one the bass hit the most often, next the the longer fat one, then the bottom Pinchney and finally the Bootleg Pinchney has only gotten swirls. He finally lost the long fattie to a quality fish the other night.