View Full Version : Groundfish Worm Removal?

StriperFvr
04-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Splashed the boat for the first time this past Wed. and headed out to the bank. The seas were perfect but made for a slower drift at times. Caught a bunch of cod (had to sift through lots of 22" fish to find the ones we were looking for), haddock, and a nice wolfish (pic attached).

What is the best method to extract the worms?

I hold the fillets up to a light and then pluck the out and it seems if you let the fillets sit in the fridge for a day the worms migrate out of the flesh...What does everyone else do?

Big Game
04-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Nice wolf!

spence
04-19-2008, 10:00 AM
What is the best method to extract the worms?

I hold the fillets up to a light and then pluck the out and it seems if you let the fillets sit in the fridge for a day the worms migrate out of the flesh...What does everyone else do?
I think you need to find the Witch King of Angmar, Lord of the Nazgul.

Remember from Lord of the Rings when he rode up and the Hobbits were hiding behind a tree and all the worms and bugs were driven from the ground around them?

Like, that should do the trick.

-spence

Bronko
04-19-2008, 10:13 AM
If Spence's method happens to fail for some reason....

I just hold them up to the light while filleting them. With a keen eye you can get the majority of them out. And they do tend to bore out when cold and die when cooked, so you should be all set.

Great Wolf! Congrats.:buds:

MrHunters
04-19-2008, 05:32 PM
is it bad to eat worms? i've paid little attention to the fillets. I assumed cooking them was good enough :huh:

taJon
04-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Immediate cleaning and lots of ice should prevent the worms.

taJon
04-19-2008, 05:39 PM
btw, thats a nice pic of cooper.

nightfighter
04-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Squeeze lemon on the fillet or steak. and watch them crawl out.. I do it with swordfish before prepping to cook.

keeperreaper
04-20-2008, 06:55 AM
The worms are edible and once cooked you have no idea they are even in there. Nice wolfie aka mother in law fish 'cuz they are UGLY.

Raider Ronnie
04-20-2008, 06:58 AM
The worms are edible and once cooked you have no idea they are even in there. Nice wolfie aka mother in law fish 'cuz they are UGLY.

"Wolfie may be ugly"
But one of my favorite fish to eat, better than cod or haddock!

fishsmith
04-20-2008, 07:42 AM
The guy at the Green Harbor fish market used to tell me and my buddy that there is nothing healthier than those worms, he'd say just look at nice white flesh they've been living on.

All bottom fish talk is making me hungry.