View Full Version : Which line is stronger..

Circlehook
04-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Suffix #50 braid, or Fireline #30? Have used fireline for past two seasons, but have heard good things about SufFix.

Which would break first?

Jon

SwampYankeeMatt
04-28-2008, 01:24 PM
The Suffix is rated at 50lbs, the Fireline at 30lbs - Suffix is, by definition, stronger. It can take more than a third more force before breaking, if by break, you mean pull on it in a straight line until it snaps.

Now, if by break you mean fraying by rubbing up against some rocks or pilings, the Fireline, a fused braid, will last a little longer than Suffix the pure braid, but neither will last as long as Flouro or Mono.

All things being equal in terms of the diameter of the line, you can spool an equal amount of 50lb-test Suffix, 30lb-test Fireline, 15lb-test flouro or 10lb-test mono. (Give or take, depending on the brand of mono and flouro, some are stronger than others).

Circlehook
04-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Understood, but I have heard that the breaking point of #30 Fireline is closer to 60lbs than 30. My leader (40lb Big Game mono) breaks first over the fireline everytime I am in the rocks in the canal.

Just curious at what approx poundage suffix snaps at.

Mike P
04-28-2008, 03:16 PM
The Suffix is rated at 50lbs, the Fireline at 30lbs - Suffix is, by definition, stronger. It can take more than a third more force before breaking, if by break, you mean pull on it in a straight line until it snaps.

Now, if by break you mean fraying by rubbing up against some rocks or pilings, the Fireline, a fused braid, will last a little longer than Suffix the pure braid, but neither will last as long as Flouro or Mono.

All things being equal in terms of the diameter of the line, you can spool an equal amount of 50lb-test Suffix, 30lb-test Fireline, 15lb-test flouro or 10lb-test mono. (Give or take, depending on the brand of mono and flouro, some are stronger than others).

Your analysis is purely theoretical and rests on the assumption that both line breaking strength, and their diameters, are accurately represented by the manufacturer.

Based on my experience with these lines, that is an unfounded assumption ;)

Mr. Sandman
04-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Your analysis is purely theoretical and rests on the assumption that both line breaking strength, and their diameters, are accurately represented by the manufacturer.

Based on my experience with these lines, that is an unfounded assumption ;)

You are EXACTLY RIGHT! I wish there was some consistency amongst manufactures as well. "same as 12# test" is not consistent. Same goes for hooks...2X, 3X, 6X what exactly is the baseline? Each is relative to something different. Further 3/0 4/0 etc is NOT THE SAME across different makes. It is a PIA.

numbskull
04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
You are EXACTLY RIGHT! I wish there was some consistency amongst manufactures as well. "same as 12# test" is not consistent. Same goes for hooks...2X, 3X, 6X what exactly is the baseline? Each is relative to something different. Further 3/0 4/0 etc is NOT THE SAME across different makes. It is a PIA.

Must be why my 20 lb fish are always bigger than Flap's

tlapinski
04-28-2008, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-SqIsZaE6s