View Full Version : Beached Dolphin

Chris in Mass
04-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Anyone see the beached Dolphin a few days back at a well used South County Spot? Very odd. Don't know how long it was there - wild colors.

Gunpowder
04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
wow... dont see too many of those up this way huh?

Raven
04-28-2008, 07:34 PM
kinda like an albino ghost dolphin :huh:

never seen anything quite like it...

MarshCappa
04-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Sad. Did you know if anyone called the authorities? Maybe an autopsy could tell what it died of.

BigBo
04-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Actually, we do get a lot of them up here. All around Boston Harbor and south.

Clueless
04-28-2008, 08:01 PM
It's an Atlantic white-sided dolphin. We ran into a big pod of them on Stellwagen during a whale watch last year. They were all playing in the wake of the boat. Definitely one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Chris in Mass
04-28-2008, 08:23 PM
It did not go unnoticed by anyone on the beach that day and received plenty of attention from some concerned people. I gotta believe that someone called some sort of authority. My buddy was there the next day and it was gone.

planter
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Atlantic White sided it is. Snagged a few with the gill nets a handfull of years back. It was a regular thing along with a few birds and Atlantic Sturgeon and whatever else wandered into the nets..:huh:

JoeP
05-01-2008, 08:28 PM
There was one washed up in western SOCO last Fall that was there for a few days and had seemingly been marked by Mystic Aquarium personnel...

Sluggoslinger
05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Atlantic White sided it is. Snagged a few with the gill nets a handfull of years back. It was a regular thing along with a few birds and Atlantic Sturgeon and whatever else wandered into the nets..:huh:

We used to be good for one of those a week. Also got a sturgen once as well as a ton of other crazy stuff you get in the nets...

Every make the mistake of gutting while your setting? nothing but birds the next day.

Where did you gill net out of?

planter
05-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey Sluggo.. Did a little gill netting, dragging out of Scituate and lobstered a bit out of Green Harbor. Been awhile although I did do a little bugging last summer. I think the dragging was not as unfriendly to the bycatch as the gill netting thats for sure.
Nothing worse than a gill net fishing for days before you can get back out to pull it. I guess the chunks of net that break loose fish forever...I have known slob commercial guys but just as many who are good guys and fish right...

5/0
05-02-2008, 08:40 PM
What a shame,I wonder what the cause was..Hummmm maybe Navy submarine sonar:deadhorse:
Nice looking fish tho.

Nebe
05-03-2008, 06:49 AM
was it a natural death or did he do it on porpoise?