View Full Version : weekend results

Mr. Sandman
11-12-2001, 11:03 AM
The island still has plenty of good steady action at this time. In fact, I think it is actually better now then a few weeks ago. Most fish are still around 28 inches, and there are a lot of them, however there are larger ones around in the mix if you keep at it. Far more then last year, (for me, anyway). Managed a few of the bigger ones this weekend. What was nice was for the most part there seemed to be fish all around the island and they seemed to be feeding, active and on the move. Most guys I ran into out there were catching fish. But most of fish caught are 28" range fish and are being released, a few in the 15-20 pound range, a few in the mid 20's and every now and then a 30+. No bluefish. Notaone. First time all year for me.

There are small groups of fish in pockets and coves here and there all around the island and I found no spot that much better then anyplace else. They seem to be moving around, not feeding at any one place for a long period of time.

Bright green and olive needles seemed to be the most productive plug, the minnow types didn't work nearly as well as 2 weeks ago, and eels produced much better this trip.

Harbors have a good supply of large spearing and 6-12" squid.
I think the resident bass and blues that have been in new harbor all summer have now finally moved out. :( It was a really great year for fishing light tackle for bass and blues in the cut on late night tides...better then most I recall. All summer long there were stripers and blues in there at night and some albies during the dawn and daytime. This is a great place to take your kid (or significant other) to catch a night surf striper and get hooked on the sport. It is easy fishing, you don't need waders and lots of heavy equipment, you don't have to cast far, and the activity can get red hot with lots of feeding activity really close to the shore. But go really late at night or super early AM to witness the bass nearly beaching themselves to inhale sandeels. This goes on pretty much all summer and peaks in early fall) (hint. to know if they are there, at dawn and walk along the water, (bring your rod of course just in case) if you see sandeels high and dry on the beach (some still alive) and a gull or two making the same walk, go back the next night with your kid and some 8-10 pound gear for a real blast.)

There is not a lot of bait in the surf but there is some (spearing and some small sand eels) I wish there was a lot more. There is far more bait along the cut and harbor then along the outter beaches.

The weather/wind/temp and seas were weird out there this weekend...it all seemed very disconected.

I think you still have 2 or 3 solid weeks of fishing left but the water temps have been falling fast. The fat lady is starting to warm up. If you are thinking about fishing BI, sooner is better then later at this place. And if you go, bring eels for your best bet at a big fish. It aint over just yet, but when it stops it will be like someone pulled the light cord.

JohnR
11-12-2001, 11:24 AM
When I was fishing C-Town Saturday night, I was commenting that you were probably into a lot more fish than we were :p

Mr. Sandman
11-12-2001, 12:12 PM
When I was fishing the north point...I was looking at the mainland thinking...All the big fish are probalby at Q and C tonight. We were probably staring at each other with the "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrone.

I had quanity but only a few good fish. (connected about 15/night but most of those are all around 28") My biggest this weekend was only in the low 20's. It just is nice to see groups of fish feeding again for a stretch of time (even if they are 27.5 inchers). My excitement level increases when you know that next cast is going to get a hit.

I saw your photo...pretty nice for a weekend night in C-town! Soft or hard side?

BTW, I really like your choice of photo for the S-B.com web site coverpage. Charlies' fish & story belongs there.

JohnR
11-12-2001, 01:29 PM
East side... Yeh - that's a pretty good occasion and certainly fitting to be on the front page...

10x10
11-12-2001, 05:35 PM
They're still getting fish pretty good at Mv as of today.