View Full Version : Big Spinner/ 2.5 - 4 oz/ Rocks

numbskull
05-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Ok I swallowed my pride, cheated my family, and bought a ridiculously priced spinning reel (at least it will piss off Flap). Put it on an old style 1321L (50 stripper/ 24.5" butt)........and felt sick. No wonder I went conventional years ago. So now I'm desperate (my finger hurts, too). But before I unload this thing on some other chump (i.e., SAUERKRAUT), seems to me I should build a better suited rod with lighter guides and give it a chance. Wasting money and obstinate stupidity come naturally to me. So I ask, what would you do?

Looking for opinions on the best 11 foot blank to throw big wood 2.5 - 4 oz in the rocks at night (ie pencil poppers are a low priority/ stopping power and line elevation are) when paired with a ZB25.

I understand the 1321m is the standard option.
Prefer something lighter and faster. Brute strength is not my forte. I like short handles.
Will a 1321L cut 4" to a 12 tip do it?
Is the 1322 a good option or does it indeed "fold with anything over 3 oz"?
The 11 ft SSU MH.......or is that geared for 4-6 bait rigs?
Anything in the Zziplex or AFAW lines that stop fish as well as they cast?
Should I just forget it and build another 1205?
Or just sell the reel and use the money for psychiatric help?

Thanks for your advice.

seadevil
05-04-2008, 10:26 AM
:agree::bl:As long as you piss of Flap who cares:rotf3::rotflmao:

spence
05-04-2008, 10:33 AM
I've got a 1321L cut back 4" if you're interested :hee:

-spence

leptar
05-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Take a look at the G-Loomis 1267... Will handle large wood with ease... and stopping power to boot... 10'6" but 2pc...

zimmy
05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Ok

Thats what I would suggest, :agree: but I haven't used a 1322. I would think there are enough guys throwing 3 1/2 oz pencils on em that they should handle 4, but I don't know.

tattoobob
05-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't like anything over 10 feet, to me you don't need a 11 foot rod

I would get a 1201m or a 1205

Flaptail
05-04-2008, 05:37 PM
In the words of P.T. Barnum hehehehehe

I have decided not to ask you anymore how the boat is running. From now on as we leave for our adventures the question will be,"How's the Zebass working out"?

That will spell doom for that thing.

This is going to be really good.

bart
05-04-2008, 05:52 PM
check out the new Lami Super Surfs, 10ft. 2-6oz. you can launch 4 oz with it and i was ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g a 6oz shad pretty easily as well with it....

Tagger
05-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Probably not fitting for a ZB ,, but I been fishing a10' Lami Tri Flex 3 yrs. now (factory rod). throws 1.5,, Merrily throws 4 . easily handles 30# fish.. don't know about larger.. have the xra1322 conv.,, sweet spot is 3 .. you'll hear it creek throwing 4 ..

RIROCKHOUND
05-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Lami 1201M. 10ft but plenty of backbone, and durable as hell

Back Beach
05-05-2008, 08:42 AM
You're %$%$%$%$ed.

What happened to the calcutta and conventional approach?

First its spinning gear, next its eels. You're on a slippery slope, but rest assured I'll take you in if the family disowns you.

Tagger
05-05-2008, 04:54 PM
You're %$%$%$%$ed.

What happened to the calcutta and conventional approach?

Tough working a small Jigman spook .. If you see a commorant, all alone on a boulder, off shore . Check it out with binoculars .. That bird might be sporting Numby's face .. :shocked:

Flaptail
05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
You know, maybe taking the dough you spent for the reel and donating it to ST. Jude's Hospital for those poor kids with those terrible deseases might have actually helped your fishing more.

Just a thought.

I know the donation I made has helped mine.

numbskull
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
I know the donation I made has helped mine.

3 bucks will do that for you? I need something, Art and his effing flyrod schooled me tonight, 8-0 :yak4:

Flaptail
05-05-2008, 09:11 PM
3 bucks will do that for you? I need something, Art and his effing flyrod schooled me tonight, 8-0 :yak4:

Serves you right, btw the way did you go where I told you to go or were you productive on the boat scene?

SAUERKRAUT
05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
I just cannot think of anything depricating to say to the Numbskull for acquiring that ZB25...a real nice piece of machinery. What is the reel weight compared to a VS250? Rod? Don't make the decision so difficult...get a 1321L blank, cut on it top and bottom to make it the length and tip size action you want...and start wrapping. A 45 mm. or so wire gathering guide, SiC 30 on down and out. You have roughly 3 weeks to get the rod done, and start growing a right index finger callus.

NIB
05-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Ok I swallowed my pride, cheated my family, and bought a ridiculously priced spinning reel (at least it will piss off Flap). Put it on an old style 1321L (50 stripper/ 24.5" butt)........and felt sick. No wonder I went conventional years ago. So now I'm desperate (my finger hurts, too). But before I unload this thing on some other chump (i.e., SAUERKRAUT), seems to me I should build a better suited rod with lighter guides and give it a chance. Wasting money and obstinate stupidity come naturally to me. So I ask, what would you do?

Looking for opinions on the best 11 foot blank to throw big wood 2.5 - 4 oz in the rocks at night (ie pencil poppers are a low priority/ stopping power and line elevation are) when paired with a ZB25.

I understand the 1321m is the standard option.
Prefer something lighter and faster. Brute strength is not my forte. I like short handles.
Will a 1321L cut 4" to a 12 tip do it?
Is the 1322 a good option or does it indeed "fold with anything over 3 oz"?
The 11 ft SSU MH.......or is that geared for 4-6 bait rigs?
Anything in the Zziplex or AFAW lines that stop fish as well as they cast?
Or just sell the reel and use the money for psychiatric help?

Thanks for your advice.

I think a fast rod is fine for smaller stuff where crisp response is neccessary to have contact with smaller lures.I think when u get to the larger stuff U can get away with a slower action rod.As much as I hate the way My 1322 cast's ( for me the folding starts at 2 oz)I really love everything else about it.A slower action rod is way more friendly when fighting a fish.Never afraid to set up with a slower actioned rod.Something stiffer might send ya on ur butt,especially when on some less than perfect rock perches..Plus,I use braid..The slower action still keeps my hooks in the fish.It still has all the backbone u need to drive the larger hooks home.U have to be wary of that with the 1L..I did waggle a few of the SSU blanks. I will have one built this yr.I like em they seem to be in the middle the arra and the crisper 1321m..In action..I can't recall which one of the 2 ,11' models I fondeled.
Another thing which often is overlooked when building a rod is guide type.Your older perfection type guides will go heavier an impart a different action or feel to the rod u build..I have the titanium perfctions on my 1322 and it adds to the parobolic action of the rod. I am a clutz and fall often and I have a guide on the rod I bent back with pliers while fishing.U can barely tell which one it is.. I think if your where to build it with a set of the lighter high frame fugi concept type guides U would have a rod that is a little more responsive..I don't know the names or numbers but ur standard hardaloy type ringed guides are somewhere's in the middle.I have the 1321m wrapped in the new fancy fugi concept guides It is fast. I use it for bombers,Mag darters an buctails to 3 oz's when long cast's are needed it smokes the arra in that department.But for the bigger wood an pencils I prefer the slower actioned Arra..Ur not gonna fire out a 4 oz plug no matter what blank u use.It just seems to me to fish the larger wood better.Than again I used a 10 ft glass rod for yrs..Before I went graphite crazy....Most times distance is way over-rated.U said urself the fly guy is outfishing u.I can cast as far as one of those guys underhanded..
Good luck Geo,
Hope I was helpfull..

numbskull
05-06-2008, 06:29 AM
I just cannot think of anything depricating to say to the Numbskull for acquiring that ZB25...a real nice piece of machinery. What is the reel weight compared to a VS250? Rod? Don't make the decision so difficult...get a 1321L blank, cut on it top and bottom to make it the length and tip size action you want...and start wrapping. A 45 mm. or so wire gathering guide, SiC 30 on down and out. You have roughly 3 weeks to get the rod done, and start growing a right index finger callus.

Ain't going to be my primary reel. Conventional stuff is too much lighter, more powerful, and simpler. Weight and line twist as well as uselessly short shock leaders are still major negatives no matter how nice a tool it is. I got it to swim with at one local spot, because I'm fed up with driving there at 2 AM and finding you on the only good rock. A 1321L isn't going to do it.

Flaptail
05-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Actually, after busting his nutz about the reel, there are two people I know that should have this reel and thats him and Sauerkraut.

They fish hard, harder than me thats for sure and if your gonna mingle with the fish in thier environment then you should probably have a reel that is at home above or below the water line.

( Though they probably walk over more fish than they realize getting out to that certain rock along a certain shore):bl:

ThrowingTimber
05-06-2008, 11:28 AM
"Is the 1322 a good option or does it indeed "fold with anything over 3 oz"?"

canal cowboy was sending 4 ounces two thirds of the way across the canal saturday afternoon on that setup with a tall spool diawa/spinner. And I mean he was laying into it :kewl:

We all threw from 1pm to roughly 3 pm, not non-stop but it wasnt like he only made the cast a half dozen times.