View Full Version : Wildwood Outfitters

Joe
05-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Is Wildwood Outfitters going out of business?

RIROCKHOUND
05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Thats the rumor.
Odd/silly time of year to take down your shingle if you ask me...

RIJIMMY
05-05-2008, 08:24 AM
lame, I loved the bait locker for eels!

Pt.JudeJoe
05-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Tony tells me it's up for sale. I f nobody steps up to buy it,there will be a sale starting soon.

ThrowingTimber
05-05-2008, 09:47 AM
* its a shame they will no longer be sending neophytes to dangerous areas... Im devistated..

* denotes sarcasm right?

bart
05-05-2008, 11:33 AM
so true, Vic. :hs:

Johnny C
05-05-2008, 12:46 PM
with all the small businesses going out, it is a good thing we have Walmart.

slow eddie
05-05-2008, 01:29 PM
the rumer around town is that there closing around the middle of may. this rumer has been around for a good month that i know of.

Rob Rockcrawler
05-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I heard the same thing. I havent heard any of their adds on WEEI of late either. It wasnt a bad shop i spent quite a few dollars there the last couple years. Unfortunatly it was quite a few dollars more than i would have spent at my other shop. The biggest gripe i have about the place is the crazy hours. Closes way to early for my liking. I would think that since the amount of fisherman on the weekends explodes they would keep the doors open later, atleast the fishing section.

Joe
05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
That's a tough location, old Wakefield - Nebe can tell ya. In every recession I've lived through, that section of town takes a major early hit and then is very slow to recover. The sold my tees and stickers, always very nice. Wickford is tanking too.

Nebe
05-05-2008, 02:32 PM
fortunately I market my work nationally, so I dont depend on the old wakefield economy too much... But Joe, your right... its sloooow. I am loving it as I have very few distractions :hihi:

oh and in regards to the wildwood question.. yes they are closing.

RIJIMMY
05-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I would think Wickford and Wakefield would thrive when people are not travelling too much, more local business coming in? I think it will pick up in the summer months because of gas$, people may be exploring closer to home.

Nebe
05-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Jim, most of my customers are from CT, NY and the boston area. however, most have summer homes in the area.

RIJIMMY
05-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Jim, most of my customers are from CT, NY and the boston area. however, most have summer homes in the area.

at least now they are, if a dem gets in, they'll all be taxed so much they wont have $ for any artwork :wave:

Chris in Mass
05-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Was always amazed at the large inventory they kept. At least it seemed that way.

Joe
05-05-2008, 04:53 PM
I would think Wickford and Wakefield would thrive when people are not travelling too much, more local business coming in? I think it will pick up in the summer months because of gas$, people may be exploring closer to home.
If that was true, then they would be thriving, but it's not true because they are folding up. There's almost nothing in Wickford or Wakefield that you can't either do without, find a cheaper alternative for, or buy the identical item cheaper online.

bobby
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
My friend has a tackle shop in Wickford and he is doing extremely well. Whether you like Wildwood or not or where they sent people, it is a shame that Tony lost so much.

Gobi
05-05-2008, 05:17 PM
His inventory was over $600K at times and that was just too much to carry. It's a tough business and Wakefield is tough. I would go there to spend a bit of cash at a local shop(w/ you, too, Joe, actually) but the overhead was just to much to manage, I guess. Bob was also a great guy and helped make me a loyal customer. He's at Ocean State now, though I haven't been in there.

Was always amazed at the large inventory they kept. At least it seemed that way.

UpChunk
05-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Wickford is very tight right now.Rent for the corner bookstore is around $2000+ a month, and there you have it.
Newport is also being hit, and hard in some ways.The Army/Navy store, which I have personally been going to since the mid Seventies , has folded.I heard their RENT went upto $8000! a month, no wonder.........? where does it end?
The Bait stroe in Wickford is awesome, see you this summer.

Nebe
05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
small overhead is key. That is insane if that army navy store had to pay 8 grand a month... Jan through may is dead in newport.. It would be one thing if newport was a 12 month a year peak income town, but its not.

Pete F.
05-05-2008, 09:40 PM
My observation as a "out of stater" Wakefield is hard to find, except by accident. It's just off the beaten path and I'm sure is getting killed by the strip malls. I guess I won't be going to wildwood after breakfast this year. Seemed like nice guys, lots of stock, little on the high side

BasicPatrick
05-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I don;t nkow the couple that own the shop butmet them last year at a trade show for dealers...as early as last Fall there was Industry Word they were closing...I was hoping it wouldn't happen as the rumor mill had gone quiet...shame to loose a good shop

slow eddie
05-06-2008, 07:03 AM
i had an antique shop in wakefield. the rents will kill you. lack of locals shopping at your shop, etc. the only thing that kept us in the red was the out of towners during the summer months. parking was never the best for wildwood either. i personally do not mind spending a dollar or two more, to keep the little guy in buisness. the big box stores are ruining the american economy anyway. low pay, no bennifits, etc.

Joe
05-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Take note that in Wickford, traditional retail space is giving way to professional space. A dog accessory store closes and a yacht dealer moves in, a linen store closes and a chiropractor takes the space, a candle store closes and a lawyer moves in. Now rather than having the quaint outdoor mall with retail stores lining the streets of ten years ago, you have gaps between the stores and the shopping experience is intractably degraded.

RIROCKHOUND
05-06-2008, 07:33 AM
i had an antique shop in wakefield.

You are an antique :rotflmao:

Very sorry to see Wildwood go; they tried to carve a niche as a bait, tackle, kayak, clothing, hunting store. Me thinks a bit too much too fast. A shame, I need to get on first name basis with another shop who will keep eels on call for me..... maybe in Wickford :D

RIJIMMY
05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
You are an antique :rotflmao:

Very sorry to see Wildwood go; they tried to carve a niche as a bait, tackle, kayak, clothing, hunting store. Me thinks a bit too much too fast. A shame, I need to get on first name basis with another shop who will keep eels on call for me..... maybe in Wickford :D

Me too! Is the shop in Wickford, Wickford Rod works? I've never been there. I need to talk to them and see if I can arrange eels after hours. Bryan, I'll let you know what I can find out!

RIROCKHOUND
05-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Jim,
Yeah Rod works; Bob is open late on weekends anyways.

I have a hunch I see him before you, and as you know my hunches are usually strong :D
We'll talk.

ThrowingTimber
05-06-2008, 09:22 AM
'hound Wickford will help you out on the eels.

zacs
05-06-2008, 09:26 AM
i think they will even deliver eels or other bait direct to your boat, RIJ.

RIJIMMY
05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
i think they will even deliver eels or other bait direct to your boat, RIJ.

dont get much better than that, unless the delivery girl is...well you know.

bobby
05-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Just got an e-mail from Wildwood entire store 30% off except reels 20% off, sale starts 5/7. Also Wickford Rodworks is usually open late, Bob stays and does rod work and if you call in an order, he will deliver your order to the town dock near the former Ryan's market.

likwid
05-07-2008, 11:56 AM
at least now they are, if a dem gets in, they'll all be taxed so much they wont have $ for any artwork :wave:

Most of those people don't even notice when they have to pay taxes.
Nor do they care about gas pump prices.

Nebe
05-07-2008, 12:01 PM

yep.

RIJIMMY
05-07-2008, 03:45 PM

sounds like you don't know many of "those" people. Trust me they do notice. The first things they cut are landscapers, car washes, housekeepers, frivilous goods etc. Who suffers in the end?

Look at Joes posts, who do you think shops in Wickford? If they don't notice, why are they no longer spending the $$$?????

Joe
05-07-2008, 08:05 PM
There's a lot of things going on there. It's more about competition, gas prices, increasing costs, and the internet - which has essentially changed the notion of what truly constitutes a "niche" business. Providence Place Mall, the revitalization of Garden City, and the rise of Barrington and Bristol as shopping destinations took a lot of business away from the village.

Rob Rockcrawler
05-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Hopefully WW will do good on their sale. If the B&T stimulus package does its job they should be able to liquidate a lot of inventory. I wish them luck in their future buisness endevors and will be troubled by the loss of another shop.

cow tamer
05-08-2008, 05:51 AM
30 % off everything except reels which are 20% off.
65% off winter clothing.