View Full Version : Any Luck?

BillyBlanks
05-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Anyone had any luck in the salt with the flyrod yet? Heading down to CT next weekend and going to try my luck in the LI Sound.

cb2fly
05-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Are you going to be around Saturday or Sunday?
cb

saltfly
05-06-2008, 08:50 AM
chuck,the second coat of finish is going on the flyrod today.I'll be in touch.

cb2fly
05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi Saltfly:
I should have the Echo Fly reel & spool & 2 AirFlo lines this week ...so I can start spooling them up for the "Charters for Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans" coming up in June. Saltfly is donating a New custom 9 wt for a 9 fly rod- way to go and a decent amount of time as well!!
Billy, interested in donating a few of your famous "Billy's Gurglers" for the cause?? Any other STriper Slayers?
Saltfly & I are putting together a nice saltwater fly rod, reel, 2 spools, casting lessons(if needed) and some flies for one of our brave servicemen. These guys & gals are great.
tight lines
cb

jeffsod
05-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Picked up my first couple on the flyrod this weekend and missed several hits before the school moved furter in the estuary with the incoming tide. I was using a squid imatation and they seemed to like it. Now is the time to get a striper on the fly from shore!

BillyBlanks
05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey CB,

I'll be down in Stamford visitng my Mom for Mother's Day, so this weekend might not be the best (if I remember correctly it's a bit of a ride from where you are). We should definitley plan something for one of the comming weekends, especially with things heating up!

As for the gurglers, no problem my man. What do you think? 10-12? Do they get auctioned off? Either way, anything for our troops. I've been pretty busy at work lately, but I'll tie them as fast as possible. When do you need them by (assuming I will be sending them to you)?

Best Wishes!

cb2fly
05-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Billy:
Sounds good for getting out soon, we would love to have whatever flies you would like to donate, if you can send them to me I will include them with the fly reel set up, I couldn't agree more- can't do enough for our troops! Thanks for your support!
Saltfly is making one lucky person a 9'-0" 9wt
Be well, cb

BillyBlanks
05-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm jealous about the fly rod! I got a GL3 last season though and it's been treating me pretty well. I'll tie the flies up as soon as I can and get them over to you. Depending on what I have for materials, I'll mix it up a little. Thanks for putting this together guys, I think it's a really nice token of our appreciation.

cb2fly
05-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Nicely done... jeffsod

saltfly
05-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey Chuck;I'm going up to Nelsons this afternoon to drop off the rod.I'll take a few pictures of the rod prior and post them[once I figure out how to do it].People in their late:eek: 50s are alittle slow on this tecknology stuff.I still don't know how we'll "chance or raffle" the whole thing but it will get done.We'll need to display everything very soon. It's a month away and coming fast.I'll be in touch.Billy thank-you also.

BillyBlanks
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Saltfly - no problem. Thanks again for putting this together. It's a real nice gesture. I'll do my best to get the flies together soon, work has been hectic, but should be able to turn something out sometime in the near future.

BillyBlanks
05-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Oh by the way, you catchin any fish?

saltfly
05-13-2008, 09:05 PM
not very much.finished putting my 16' tin boats deck back in[mice underneath].new 6gal tank&hose,fire it up tomorrow afternoon.the last few weeks been dealing with my g/f and hospitals[beth israel] she just got home from major surgery[the big C].going up tomorrow for a checkup at 9am then back to the cape.built a few rods and repairs.they're done.now comes a mountain of flies to tie.the next week i'll be out almost everyday scoping different locations.the largest fish and only was a whopping 16" last wed.in barnstable.also,that same day we took a ride to scorton crk on the out-go but couldn't stay long enough to hit the right spots.We still had a show whan a kayaker tried to come in on the outgoing tide and rolled it over in the rip.a couple of anxious moments watching and deciding on calling the f.d. but he remained calm and drifted onto the bar.he was wearing the bottom half of a dry suit so we checked him out and helped with the yak to get him inside the creek and he proceeded up river ok.If you want you can send the flies direct to rich at Nelsons.His home add.is:Rich Wood,bx1175,Truro Ma 02666.He had his surgery yesterday.You don't have to get real fancy on the flies.Decievers,clousers,etc.It would be "best" if he had them prior to Memorial day weekend.Do your best and thanks for participating in a great cause.