View Full Version : XP Hell

vineyardblues
05-07-2008, 08:49 AM
New Dell running XP
The computer had a virus , ran virus scan and rebooted.
Now it will not let me log in,it starts to then log's out?
Same for safe mode ??????
Any ideas
VB

Adam_777
05-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Hate to say it but.At this point in the game.Buy a new harddrive.Remove old drive.Install new one and fresh Xp install.Should only take 20 mins on a new machine.Then set your jumper on the old harddrive to slave and reinstall it.Remove all data you wanted to keep then do a Reformat of the infected drive.Use it for storage or until new drive gets infected.

MrHunters
05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
that will work but if you don't have extra cash for a new harddrive

reinstall on the same drive to a different directory. call it windows2
When the computer is done installing you should have a boot screen to choose between two versions of xp.
They will probably be named the same. So guess and if it boots you guess right.
Copy off all data you would like to save and reformat and reinstall.
This would be the cheapest way without having to think about troubleshooting.

You could try a "dirty install" where you install over your exisiting files. It usually works but I do not reccomend you do this if you have data you want to save. This is usually last resort.

kenyee
05-07-2008, 02:01 PM
If it's a brand new system, call Dell and they'll walk you through a system restore (HP/IBM/Dell usually have a partition where they have an image of the system as it's shipped so they can restore it back to that point).

If you have any data, boot up a Live CD (hopefully the antivirus software has it or you can download a different types of Linux ones), stick in a USB drive, and copy your data off before doing the above...

After doing that, buy a copy of TrueImage run it before any windows updates, etc. on the system drive. You'll be able to undo anything easily...

JohnR
05-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Ken - do the terms SASID and LASID mean anything to you :tooth: ?

teaser
05-07-2008, 11:11 PM
John,

Was the virus some sort of self installed program that you just can get rid of like a PC scan/protection thing that keeps popping up on the machine?

I have in the last 5 weeks had to repair 4 computers for friends with that problem. It seems that there is some type of malware out there that is a killer to a machine and once it's infected the only way to get the machine back is to do a complete reboot with the factory discs.

There is a small partition on most PC's that is used for recovery but even those are being wiped out so you are basically scr*wed trying to just reboot or reinstall just the windows again, it has to be done like a brand new machine again from scratch.

Good news is the discs are usually about 23 bucks so it's not an expensive fix just a big pain in the @ss, still cheaper than a new hard drive too.

Good luck with it and remember ... computers are you're friends. :splat: So I am told. :laughs:

teaser
05-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Oh I forget to say that this new malware wipes out some "dll" files when you try to do a reboot and after that the machine acts exactly the way you described it.

vineyardblues
05-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Thanks guys,
First off I am glad it's not my computer! It's a friend and it was in storage for a long time so I would think dell will not help out.
The funny part is it worked fine for a long time, they never surf the web just on line billing, the day it died their granddaughter got on facebook to show some pictures and also downloaded some poker game....Sad how it can crash and burn in minutes ..

MrHunters
05-08-2008, 06:57 AM
old computer. sounds like it doesnt have much in the way of important stuff on it.

wipe it.

kenyee
05-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Ken - do the terms SASID and LASID mean anything to you :tooth: ?

John:
'fraid not...different Ken probably :-)