View Full Version : Ramps in the Bay

MaineRob
05-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Do most of my boat fishing in Maine, but I'm planning a day trip to Narragansett Bay next week. I did my research on ramps and Colt State Park looked like a great place to put in. I was in the area and stopped by to check it out and learned that the park doesn't open until sunrise. I wanted to be on the water for sunrise so I'm thinking about another entry point. Next thought was Oakland Beach in Warwick but don't have time for a recon trip. Are there any time restrictions there? Any other recommendations would also be welcome. Only a 16' boat so I don't need a lot of water.

jkjnp
05-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't think Oakland Beach closes.
Great ramp.

ktugboat42
05-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Haines Park in Barrington (the upper bay) is really nice with plenty of parking.

StriperFvr
05-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Colt State is a great ramp but not when there is a serious blow from the West. There is no protection from the chop and I have experienced 3-4 footers there while attempting to put my boat on the trailer...too say the least it wasn't a fun experience. The ramp also does see a lot of traffic so the wait times can be long depending on when you come in for the day.

fish4striper
05-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Haines park is the best ramp on East side of the bay. Colt State park is not fun when the wind kicks up. I'll never launch there again. FYI, you can still drive in the park sunset or before sunrise if you're fishing.

Oakland beach is a great ramp on the west side.

The nice thing about RI is all the state ramps are free!

plankton
05-09-2008, 07:52 AM
I researched this last year and I believe that RI state parks are open from sunrise to sunset unless you are there to fish, then they're accessible 24 hours including the ramps. Do a web search and find the contact numbers for the park where you want to launch and call to make sure. I must say it's refreshing to encounter that kind of attitude, up here in Mass. they really don't like people utilizing the public waterfront, especially after dark.

piemma
05-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Oakland Beach never closes. I have been going out at 3 am and seen guys putting in.

MaineRob
05-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the great info. Looks like I have a choice to make....east side or west side. If I only knew which side the stripers prefer?

Moses
05-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I've launched many times pre-sunrise at Colt and never had a problem. Now, if the wind blows like others have stated, the return to the dock and trailer is horrendous. I scouted Haines last year and it comes highly recommended from a few folks.

denis
05-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Haines hands down over Colts

basswipe
05-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Weaver Cove ramp on Burma Rd. in Portsmouth ain't to bad if you're to be fishing in the southerly portions of the bay.

MaineRob
05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
The first trip to the Bay on Sunday was an enjoyable one. Put in at Oakland Beach at 5:00am. Had better luck snagging bunker than bass, but managed to put two small keepers in the boat. Did a lot of exploring and found a few spots to go back to and a few not to (even though I had high hopes for them!) The winds really picked up in the afternoon and the water got sloppy. Thanks for the advice to stay away from the Colt State Park ramp on windy days! I'll be back!