View Full Version : Closest Ramp to Race Point?

partsjay
05-08-2008, 05:21 AM
can any of you guys tell me where is the closest ramp to Race Point that I could launch a 17' Whaler from? Thanks!

mekcotuit
05-08-2008, 07:49 AM
There is one in far west end of Ptown on Commercial St but you have to really watch the tides and not sure if you need a town permit..i know you used to.

capecodder
05-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Pamet River in Truro. Double ramp, good parking, beautiful setting, short run across the Bay to PTown. You can get in and out with a 17' whaler on all but the lowest tides.

Flaptail
05-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Got 4 wheel drive? By a permit for your truck and tow the boat out and launch right at the Race!

Back Beach
05-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Got 4 wheel drive? By a permit for your truck and tow the boat out and launch right at the Race!

Just like this.
There is an art to it and special equipment needed, though. Otherwise, go to the Pamet for simplicity sake.

Backbeach Jake
05-10-2008, 06:11 AM
The ramp on Commercial St. in P-town is a real clusterama. Very small boats only and yo have to un-hitch your trailer and park it away from your tow vehicle in the corner. Go from Pamet if you can't launch from the sand.

fishonnelsons
05-10-2008, 07:34 AM
ALERT - the ramp at Pamet is being rebuilt - projected completion end of May (hopefully). If the timing is good, that's your best bet.

Off the beach is good provided you have all the right stuff, and favorable winds/waves.

As BBJ said, Ptown ramp is a cluster - tide window as well as zero space for trailer - need to launch, have someone drive vehicle/trailer elsewhere and then pick them up.

Wellfleet harbor - longer run to Race Pt, but good fishing down that way as well.

capecodder
05-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Fishon,
Is the Pamet closed during this time? It will totally hose my Mem Day weekend if it is closed...

capecodder
05-16-2008, 08:05 AM
I heard from the Pamet Harbor master that scheduled completion of the ramp is May 30. He did not sound confident it would be done earlier... so much for my boating over Mem Day weekend...

fishonnelsons
05-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Contract calls for penalties if it is not done by then, but who is to blame for late start, etc etc.

Betting man says not done by a week from today, hope I am wrong. Call the shop mid-week for update 5084870034