View Full Version : New hip in July , Maybe fish in Sept?

Saltheart
05-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I signed up to have my hip done (replaced) in early july. From what I am told , I could be fishing by Sept. Would be nice to land a few later this season and it will definitely be nice to be able to sit , stand up and lie down without the pain.

Going to a guy who uses some new computer alignment technique that is supposed to double the life expectancy of the artificial joint. From what he says , despite me being only 55 , he thinks the new hip should last a life time. I hope so , don't want to go through it again at 75!

justplugit
05-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Good luck, SH. The people who i know that have had the replacement, have done very well. :)

BigBo
05-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Good luck Mike. I've been putting off my knee replacement for a few years now. I'm afraid it won't be much longer.

Squid kids Dad
05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Good luck for a quick recovery:kewl:

whiplash
05-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Had mine done 3 years(@ 51) ago after dragging a dead leg behind me for way too many years . I was bone on bone after a very long death march in SW RI. I'm sure you know the one. I had it done at the Baptist in Boston. I had the BFH Big Femor Head varity . It allows for the best rotation and flexibility. I can send you the name of the group I used in Brookline.The Docs were fantastic and the Baptist is the place to go for any joint work. It is a life changing procedure. Really if your insurance will cover these guys you should do it. I had 2 other procedures on my hip ( due to a motorcycle accident when I was 21)and I'm glad I waited for the current technology. I had the procedure on Jan 19th and in 2 weeks I was back at work ( granted a desk job ) but by March I was back hiking with the Boy Scouts. Don't settle for the ceramic golf ball !!! Do it right or don't do it at all!!! PM me if you want.

Saltheart
05-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Its a problem for me to go "out of area" with my current medical insurance. I will ask about the BFH type hip though.

I hear lots of peole saying in two weeks they were good. i hope so. My doctor said to plan on two months. I guess its safe to plan for more and go back to work early if things get better fast.

JohnR
05-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Good luck Mike!

Sell you old one on Ebay

whiplash
05-12-2008, 08:28 AM
http://www.wmt.com/bigfemoralhead/learnabout.asp
This is it . Its made for younger folks that are still active . Don't let them do the ceramic golf ball your too young!!! If thats all they offer go someplace else. Also push your insurance company they might cave, you never know until you ask. Good luck see you on the beach in Sept.

PaulS
05-12-2008, 08:47 AM
If your fishing an open beach and feel good, go for it, but I'd stay off the rocks and stay inside in snotty weather this year.

I read an article this weekend (NY times???) about ceramic joints developing sweaks when people walk. Hope that doesn't happen to you as you'll never be able to sneak to one of your "secret" spots again.

An uncle got one about 1 year ago and other than the rehab being tough (which you know) all went pretty smoothly.

Good luck.

PaulS
05-12-2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/business/11hip.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=ceramic+joints&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Saltheart
05-12-2008, 09:35 AM
"Meanwhile, no squeaks occurred among a control group of 48 patients who received hips made of metal and plastic. “It can interrupt sex when my wife starts laughing,” said one man, who discussed the matter on the condition that he not be named. "

Oh brother , just what I need , she starts laughing at me cause my hip is going ...squeak........squeak..........squeak....squeak. .squeak.squeak.squeak. squeak, squeak squeak squeak squeak!! :)

striperman36
05-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Had mine done 3 years(@ 51) ago after dragging a dead leg behind me for way too many years . I was bone on bone after a very long death march in SW RI. I'm sure you know the one. I had it done at the Baptist in Boston. I had the BFH Big Femor Head varity . It allows for the best rotation and flexibility. I can send you the name of the group I used in Brookline.The Docs were fantastic and the Baptist is the place to go for any joint work. It is a life changing procedure. Really if your insurance will cover these guys you should do it. I had 2 other procedures on my hip ( due to a motorcycle accident when I was 21)and I'm glad I waited for the current technology. I had the procedure on Jan 19th and in 2 weeks I was back at work ( granted a desk job ) but by March I was back hiking with the Boy Scouts. Don't settle for the ceramic golf ball !!! Do it right or don't do it at all!!! PM me if you want.

I second the vote for Baptist and the for the BFH. I've seen similar experience to Whiplash, actually was able to do things with the patient that we hadn't done in over 20 years, within 2 months.

You do set of airpost alarms tho.

Swimmer
05-12-2008, 10:46 AM
I wish you a fast and complete recovery Saltheart.

whiplash
05-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I just offer to show them the scar:eyes: and they send me thru.

Slipknot
05-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Mike, I hope the surgery is a success and all goes well.
You'll be back to fishing before the fall run for sure.

chris L
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
all the best to you Mike and a short recovery time . imagine that to squeak in stereo . the bed sqeaks and now the hip squeaks in unison .

nightfighter
05-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Ex-wife had hers done at Baptist as well. The three or four days after surgery were the most critical, so as not to dislocate. After that she did really well, quick recovery and back at all activities. I think you will be ready before September!

Raven
05-13-2008, 07:02 AM
when you get them....

take a pair of old sweat pants or an old sweat shirt

and cut off the legs or the arms... as the case may be

take one, place it over the top of the rubber part of the crutch
and then round and round to give it extra padding then tuck it in

works like a charm .....and much more comfortable..

good luck Saltheart :wave:

MrHunters
05-13-2008, 07:55 AM
good luck and do as raven says. crutch rash sucks!!