View Full Version : any bright fish in boston harbor yet

blue oyster
05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
i am going out tomorow evening and fish the tide i was wondering if anyone has had any luck , not looking for spots just wondering if there any fish yet , i went out last sat.no luck

plankton
05-11-2008, 07:58 AM
I fished around the harbor on Thursday and got nothing, although a guy I saw bait fishing said he got one 16" schoolie. It's been a really slow start to the season, the water in the harbor has hit the 50 degree mark but there doesn't seem to be a lot of fish around.

Steve K
05-11-2008, 08:49 AM
They must be bright because none of them have fallen for my lures.

Monty
05-11-2008, 12:25 PM
I was on the water yesterday, we were flounder fishing and caught a few and one 24" striper.

blue oyster
05-11-2008, 08:27 PM
me and my dad fished for a couple of hours , not even a sniff , its gotta bust open soon

Elmo
05-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Friend of mines Dad got a keeper and a couple shorts at a popular spot in town the end of last week. Not sure what he was using but most likely bait as opposed to lures.:)

thortum
05-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Yes, there are SOME fish around, but it's still slow.

EarnedStripes44
05-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Fished the Pines Rive Sat. Night. Nothing.

Christian
05-14-2008, 08:11 PM
i got some schoolies about a week and a half ago at a very popular spot.
been floundering and seeing a few, mostly on the fish finder.
gunna try getting some macks and live lining outside, once the wind goes away. boooo wind.

Brine
05-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Nothing Last night. Fished a couple of popular spots on the incoming with not even a bump. I think the water temps are still hovering around 50-52. I'm hoping it breaks open soon.

Someone did mention a keeper being caught last night at another popular spot in the harbor but I did not see it -- Who knows if it's truth or not.

EarnedStripes44
05-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Went down to Broadway Bridge on the Mystic River on the ebb. Fished some soft plastics. Got nothing. However, I guy next to me was snagging herrring like they were plastic grocery bags after it rains. I mean this guy had a bucket full of herring, at least a dozen fish to 12 inches.I start doing my routine, fishing the bridge piers and the shadow line, slow and deep, right in the channel. Suddenly, I hear the guy yelping for assistance. So I grab the bridge net and high tail it in his direction. I look down into the water to see what he has, and there it was, a striper. And of all things, he snagged the striper about an inch behind the soft dorsal fin. We hauled in on to the bridge and it measured 31 inches and was as fat as the mail man. And although I did not catch the fish, there is no way he would have hauled a green fish 17+ feet onto the Bridge deck with his kmart freshwater outfit without my net . So thats 1 assist for me.

FishermanTim
05-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey, aren't herring still prohibited?
I'd be more inclined to let the other fisherman know this and that he is breaking the law.
If he pleads ignorance, then let him plead it to the authorities.
Poaching is poaching, no matter how you "rationalize" it, or in whatever language to explain it.

thortum
05-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Went down to Broadway Bridge on the Mystic River on the ebb. Fished some soft plastics. Got nothing. However, I guy next to me was snagging herrring like they were plastic grocery bags after it rains. I mean this guy had a bucket full of herring, at least a dozen fish to 12 inches.I start doing my routine, fishing the bridge piers and the shadow line, slow and deep, right in the channel. Suddenly, I hear the guy yelping for assistance. So I grab the bridge net and high tail it in his direction. I look down into the water to see what he has, and there it was, a striper. And of all things, he snagged the striper about an inch behind the soft dorsal fin. We hauled in on to the bridge and it measured 31 inches and was as fat as the mail man. And although I did not catch the fish, there is no way he would have hauled a green fish 17+ feet onto the Bridge deck with his kmart freshwater outfit without my net . So thats 1 assist for me.

Aiding and abed-ding a poacher. The both of you should have had all you gear and his auto confiscated once he put the fish in his car!!!!! :hs:

BassDawg
05-18-2008, 05:47 AM
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

ZERO TOLERANCE for ALL Poachers!!!!

seen sum bait at one of the wharfs early Sat am
couldn't raise the bigger feesh, though................

woan't be loooooooong NOW, gents :bl: :bl:
am going for the outside of the Hahbah at sunset
and will prolly swing by the wharf on me way to work
Mon am,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WLYKnow how it goes :wavey: :wavey:

plankton
05-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Now that we've got some wind from the SW it should spark some action fairly quickly, and it's about time!!:jump:

ridler72
05-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Fish are out front in the outta haba in good numbers. Late Saturday afternoon I saw birds doing the dance from my driveway. Ran for the yak and enjoyed the fun, that is until the Peeper from 2004, decided to call in a distressed kayaker call and sent emergency services out for nothing....anyways...Nice to hear the gawking of the terns again. Looked more like a September fall run blitz. All schoolies and a blast. Today there was a little push but went down shortly after....no emergency today..lol.....Nothing like Saturday afternoon to evening for the blitzing. I have no idea what the forage was. Also saw some small bunker flipping but nothing happening around it.

There was some boats that were working the pod today, anyone from here?

EarnedStripes44
05-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Aiding and abed-ding a poacher. The both of you should have had all you gear and his auto confiscated once he put the fish in his car!!!!! :hs:

How do you figure. I aided and abedded the capture of a legal fish.

BassDawg
05-19-2008, 04:39 PM
you aided and abetted on 2 counts:

1) it is illegal to take river herring, PERIOD!!

2) it is illegal to snag stripers as i understand the regs?

if you "helped" him to keep the "keeper" that was caught
illegally that's aiding and abetting a herring poacher and
a striper poacher as well; BAD Mojo, verrrry BAD MOJO!
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

EarnedStripes44
05-20-2008, 08:45 AM
you aided and abetted on 2 counts:

1) it is illegal to take river herring, PERIOD!!

2) it is illegal to snag stripers as i understand the regs?

if you "helped" him to keep the "keeper" that was caught
illegally that's aiding and abetting a herring poacher and
a striper poacher as well; BAD Mojo, verrrry BAD MOJO!
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Oh... You cant snag any anadramous fish species. Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.