View Full Version : Toyota,,Nissan,,Honda

Tagger
05-11-2008, 06:10 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/125477/article.html

Leading the way in Hybrids.. Toyota Prius since 2001 ?? Amazing ,, looks like american cars are missing the boat again .. :fury:

Raven
05-11-2008, 06:18 AM
for those "ultra quiet" electric powered vehicles

a young boy got himself hit by a car recently

because he couldn't hear it coming.

Raider Ronnie
05-11-2008, 07:29 AM

Leading the way in Hybrids.. Toyota Prius since 2001 ?? Amazing ,, looks like american cars are missing the boat again .. :fury:

It's not the American cars,
It's the arrogant American auto makers and the spoiled/stupid American consumers !!!

Tagger
05-11-2008, 09:54 AM
It's not the American cars,
It's the arrogant American auto makers and the spoiled/stupid American consumers !!!

Right On !!! We miss our muscle cars ,,

Backbeach Jake
05-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Chevy has or has a Silverado that was hybrid and had an outlet for power tools. Ford is going toward gas. There's a lot of MA state troopers driving gas powered Crown Vics.
Oh by the way, those Japanese hybrids will kill an untrained tech. Special tools and gloves insulated to 1000 volts are required. We didn't know that until we took the I-Car class. Scary. We had a Toy SUV hybrid completely apart and didn't know jack about it. Coulda been zapped like a bug.

luds
05-11-2008, 10:10 AM
for those "ultra quiet" electric powered vehicles

a young boy got himself hit by a car recently

because he couldn't hear it coming.

not for long. they're aldready exploring ways to have them make some noise to help avoid that kind of incident.

likwid
05-11-2008, 10:23 AM

And German automakers making a joke of everyone else's diesels with TDI etc.

Mike P
05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Pssst---the Honda and Nissan hybrids ARE American cars ;)

striperman36
05-11-2008, 01:59 PM
And German automakers making a joke of everyone else's diesels with TDI etc.
I wouild love to get a diesel, they don't make them for the American market. I believe that over 50 pct of European vehicles are diesel. I probably could get a small six that got 30 mpg highway and then could tow a 5000 trailer/boat package.

I also remember an Eastern 21' with a 77 hp diesel that sipped 1 gph.

likwid
05-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I wouild love to get a diesel, they don't make them for the American market. I believe that over 50 pct of European vehicles are diesel. I probably could get a small six that got 30 mpg highway and then could tow a 5000 trailer/boat package.

I also remember an Eastern 21' with a 77 hp diesel that sipped 1 gph.

07 Audi A4 TDI gets 52 mpg highway.
Sooooooo wish they were in the US.

A few people have converted inboard CC Makos from gas to turbo diesel and those sip fuel.

Guess everyone wanting absolute top end for getting to the fish won't be firewalling the throttle this year. :bl:

Nebe
05-11-2008, 02:45 PM
a buddy of mine is about to become a dealer in RI for typhoon boats... 31 feet long, 64 mph, and 15 GPH.... Canyons in 2 hours.. block island in 10 minutes. :heybaby:
that seems like a huge advancement to me as far as fuel comsumption at top end.

Tagger
05-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Pssst---the Honda and Nissan hybrids ARE American cars ;)

I don't understand that .. My bud says his Toyota is an american car . Is this like the Abu assembled in Sweeden via Tiawan.. So confusing whats what ? Who reaps the profits ? Japan ? Is it true they are buying up all our farm land ? Not to get off on a tangent..

Tagger
05-11-2008, 07:11 PM
thanks for this ..
http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/editorial/editorial_item.asp?NewsID=188
things aren't always as they appear .. talk about sugar coating ..

ProfessorM
05-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I was just thinking this the other day as I was blown off the road by 3 Prius's as I drove to work. Kills me to be on the highway and see some hybrid car owner fly by me at 90 mph. They spend all this money to be green and save gas and $$$$ and then drive way over the speed limit wasting gas. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Mike P
05-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Auto parts come from all over the world. Even American cars are composed of parts from all over the world. Toyota Camrys are assemled in Kentucky (I think the Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe are assembled in California). Nissan Altimas are assembled in Smyrna, Tennessee. Hondas are asssembled in Indiana. Some Fords are assembled in Mexico. Ford also owns Jaguar and Land Rover. Chrysler is 100% foreign owned, by Daimler-Benz. GM has a corporate partnership with Toyota, which is why the Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix sold under one of GMs divisions. Ford used to--and may still--have a partnership with Mazda. What is an "American" car and what is a "foreign" car isn't as easy as looking at the logo. Many "American" cars are built in Canada and Mexico--by non-union workers. Some "foreign" cars are built in the US, in UAW plants (not every foreign car maker's plant in the US is unionized, but some are).

Profits? Some profits are reinvested. That helps the local economy where the plants are. In public corporations, some are distributed to stockholders. Even if there are no dividends paid, profits help increase the share value of stock, which benefits shareholders. The manufacturers also pay property taxes on the plant and land, which also helps the local economy. Some profits do leave the US, but then again, that's also the case with Chrysler.

I don't understand that .. My bud says his Toyota is an american car . Is this like the Abu assembled in Sweeden via Tiawan.. So confusing whats what ? Who reaps the profits ? Japan ? Is it true they are buying up all our farm land ? Not to get off on a tangent..

zimmy
05-12-2008, 08:27 AM

What mike said is true. The way the American co's (Gm et al) are behind is in design and engineering. Fro some reason the japanese in particular design reliable cars and have the foresight to try to sell hybrids. At the same time the americans were making bigger and bigger trucks. Really, if you think about honda designing the insight and toyota the prius at the same time ford is going with the excursion it says alot. Americans are starting to get it together, but they are still using old japanese technology. The ford escape hybrid is old toyota technology that toyota has replaced. I hope the Americans start to lead again someday soon.

justplugit
05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
You can tell if a car was assembled in Japan by looking at the VIN #.

It will have a J in front of the #., at least upto 2004 models.

Fishpart
05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
LEAN MANUFACTURING Toyota can design and bring a new model to market in half the time.

Toyota is selling worldwide, the rest of the world wants economy, US wants POWER and SIZE.

PaulS
05-14-2008, 06:53 AM
The new mileage standards that the US comp. were moaning about are already met by Honda's fleet. The most popular US veh is a Ford pick up.

striperman36
05-14-2008, 09:18 AM
The new mileage standards that the US comp. were moaning about are already met by Honda's fleet. The most popular US veh is a Ford pick up.

at 11 mpg.