View Full Version : With Gas Prices quickly approaching $4 per gallon will you change your game?

JohnR
05-12-2008, 06:47 AM
With Gas Prices quickly approaching $4 per gallon will you change your game?

Looking for the top ten suggestions to change up your game so the gas prices don't hurt as bad.

Couple of obvious;

Fish a little less solo and a little more buddy system
Try less new spots and stick with better known
Fish closer to homeWhat do you think? What other options do we have?

BigFish
05-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Its definitely going to factor into when and where I fish! I already talked to my buddies about long distance trips...we will try to buddy up and split the gas cost! Most of my "Cape" trips are Spring and Fall anyway.....Summer I will stay closer to home. Mostly when I do make a longer trip, my fishing trip will be extended a bit to make it more worthwhile......example if I fish the Cape with a buddy we will try to make it an all night trip fishing perhaps 36 hours at a stretch with cat-naps. My Cuttyhunk junkets are no problem....actually quite cost efficient as we burn no fuel.....just wear and tear on the feet!:jump:

spence
05-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Best case I'm only fishing once or twice a week and mostly stick to local waters...so it won't make a difference to me.

My bigger issue is TIME.

-spence

Clogston29
05-12-2008, 07:00 AM
i bought a more efficient vehical, and will try to car pool more often, but usually I'll end up driving up alone because its more convenient and because I don't really like relying on someone else's schedule. I'll also cut back a bit on other things (eating out for lunch, etc.) as necessary. Fishing is important, and I won't sacrafice much, just try to be a bit more efficient.

afterhours
05-12-2008, 07:01 AM
i got a truck which is 30% better on fuel. can't really do much as far as soco trips......can't not go and i refuse to let those a$$'s in power affect my sport.

BrianS
05-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Best case I'm only fishing once or twice a week and mostly stick to local waters...so it won't make a difference to me.

My bigger issue is TIME.

-spence

Amen to that.

Slingah
05-12-2008, 07:13 AM
I dont think it will change my spring and summer outings....and come fall, I'll just probaly just stick to fishing close to home...

Eliot
05-12-2008, 07:18 AM
1) For the past several years I had all types of extra "stuff" on my boat (like 14 rods). This year it is the minimum necessary.
2) I used to cruise at 30-35 MPH while burning 16-18 gals/hr. At 20 mph I'm burning 10 gals/hr total. Nothing wrong with 20!!!!
3) Just made a sign for the cabin door....."These Yamahas don't run on Thank You's!

HESH2
05-12-2008, 07:26 AM
fish close to home,but fish alot during the week so it adds up.but i'm not about to change my fishing because of gas prices,gotta bite the bullet and pay.i think about my friends who golf,the membership fees,cart costs,fuel getting there.same as us lost golf balls (plugs) golf clubs(rods etc).fishing to me is a bargain and big stress reducer.

spinncognito
05-12-2008, 07:33 AM
I am fortuneate enough to be surrounded by water up here on Cape Ann, so close to home is the way to go for me. That being said, it can still be costly hittting all the spots and driving around this "other" Cape.

I will be hitting the ditch on the 21st (May) because I have to attend a seminar in somewhat nearby Taunton.

MrHunters
05-12-2008, 07:42 AM
i hope to not change too much but this thread isn't about that.

Like when we bought our house and started that budget, we need to pay attention to the little things. Do we REALLY need that cup of dunks, or can we drive by the sandwich shop? Things like that. That stuff adds up.

Mr. Sandman
05-12-2008, 07:43 AM
35/16 =2.1 mpg

20/10 =2.0 mpg

looks like a wash to me.

Truck fuel while expensive is not a wallet buster for me. Yep 100 bucks to fill it up (4.20/gal here) but I have little distance to drive and don't commute. The boat however is a problem. 135 gal * say $4.50 =607 + 20 bucks for ringfree so that make 625 bucks per fill up for two weeks of fishing local waters. That is a lot in my book and I just plan to use the boat a lot less this year not put my lobster pots in and surf fish more.

If fuel prices exceed 5 bucks next season I will give up my slip (4K) and trailer it and use the slip money for fuel. As many people are doing this this year, I expecet to see boat ramp traffic jams this summer. I'll keep an eye on this. Its getting to be where it is not worth it anymore....and I love to fish. If is stays this high next year...I'll call it a day with the boat after that. I'm winding down.

Took a few swings with my clubs this weekend... I think pleasure boating is going to be a thing of the past for many.

MrHunters
05-12-2008, 07:48 AM
^^^

Mr.Sandman. that was a very depressing post.

EarnedStripes44
05-12-2008, 08:24 AM
The game wont change for me, maybe a few rules. The trouble will be convincing the woman of the house I am not with some other women as will fish throught the night into the morning. As someone else said, I will put in more time, and sacrifice sleep.

JFigliuolo
05-12-2008, 08:37 AM
The CRX lives on!!! put a new timing belt on her, gets almost 40 MPG. My game shouldn't change too much. But $5 -$6 will start to effect me.

Rappin Mikey
05-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Besides Memorial Day Weekend. I will strictly fish in Western MA until they leave the end of June. I'm working Summer School so we can afford three day weekends on the Cape all Summer.

Flaptail
05-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Living on Cape Cod this question doesn't factor in too much with the vehicle ( the X gets 22 mpg) and a 14 foot boat with a 6 gallon tank that I can fish two days out of on one tank.

Now the 62 mile round trip to work ea. day that can be a problem!

Hmmm... work?:huh: Fish?:huh:

fishaholic18
05-12-2008, 08:42 AM
I'll be doing more fresh water fishing and running the boat much slower...:kewl:

numbskull
05-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I was planning to let the family starve.

nightprowler
05-12-2008, 09:14 AM
sold my truck and bought an economical compact that gets much better mileage. like flap, fishing isn't the problem, its the 130 miles/day commute thats killing me.

JLH
05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
It’s definitely going to start having an impact if prices keep going up… I’ll try to cut down on other things but its 80 miles to the shore for me and it’s going to be hard to justify taking multiple trips a week like I have in the past. I may seriously have to consider moving closer to the shore!

1. Fish the river more early in the season with fewer weekend trips down to RI.
2. Pack lunches instead of buying or going out at work
3. I’ll be taking the boat out less and fishing more from the surf or the kayak

Rockport24
05-12-2008, 09:25 AM
I'll just be staying closer to home, even the jaunt from Salem up to Gloucester/Rockport adds up after a while. I've already cut back, I usually head down to RI in the spring for schooliepallooza before they get up here, I just skipped that this season. I have a decent commute too, so I don't even really want to drive far to fish.

WadingWill
05-12-2008, 09:46 AM
My wife bought a Toyota Prius last year and man are we glad she did, I might have to hijack it from her some nights if the prices keep going up. Not the coolest looking car on the road, but she's averaging 60mpg which is all we care about. The next vehicle I buy will be a hybrid, they've really come a long way these past few years.

MarshCappa
05-12-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm in an ok situation. My skiff hardly burns anything and 6.5 gallons can get me to my fishing waters and back several times. I'm lucky if I go shore fishing my drive is short (couple of miles). The other nice thing is I have a company gas card for my vehicle which is a 4 cylinder. When I go to the pumps in the summer I fill up my skiff tank with that card. Not to abuse the benefit of the card I just leave about 4 gallons shy of filling up the car if I'm filling my skiff tank.

Mike P
05-12-2008, 01:20 PM
I probably use more gas starting the engine 4-5 times a night than I do driving to one spot on the Canal and biking it--so I'd be doing more pedaling than steering this season. Biggest decision will be "Capeside or mainland?" and the wind will help decide that for me.

hq2
05-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Nah. I usually fish locally from shore, and my car gets about 30 mpg. It won't affect me all that much.

RIROCKHOUND
05-12-2008, 01:41 PM
No more Watch Hill trips unless the bite is seriously on.
Add extra crew for Canyon trips.
Otherwise, fish local. Catch more there anyways

ThrowingTimber
05-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Nothings going to change too drastically. I am considering a small bay boat, with the distances I travel to fish I'd be saving money in the long run. drive 140+ miles round trip OR trailer to public launch and have fish 10-35 mins from the ramp...

Also working from home permanently so my commute is from bed, to the shower, to my dresser, to the coffer maker, to the laptop... :angel: So thats like I dunno 200 steps at most..

spoke with friends who live in SF last week and they were paying 4.10. Another friend was drivign cross country and she got caught stopping in the middle of arizona at one of those you should have stopped 60 miles ago gas stations she paid 5$+ per gallon, and if you dont get it there you're not making it out of the dessert....

MrHunters
05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
:angel: So thats like I dunno 200 steps at most..

sp

ill bet its less than that. :humpty: !!!

Rockport24
05-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Nothings going to change too drastically. I am considering a small bay boat, with the distances I travel to fish I'd be saving money in the long run. drive 140+ miles round trip OR trailer to public launch and have fish 10-35 mins from the ramp...

yeah, you would save gas, but then all your fish wouldn't count! :rotfl: :jester:
just kidding of course!

bart
05-12-2008, 02:20 PM
fish much smarter this year. not going unless the the conditions are good for big fish. no more "fish as much as possible" mentality.

hopefully carpool

fish freshwater more

ilovetwofish
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I will fish certain spots more and harder use the kayak more this year and probably stay away from soco in the fall run.I'm looking into getting a new truck hopefully hybrid if there is such a thing.

Raven
05-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Another friend was drivign cross country and she got caught stopping in the middle of arizona at one of those you should have stopped 60 miles ago gas stations she paid 5$+ per gallon, and if you dont get it there you're not making it out of the dessert....

i used to hate those signs that said... 200 or so miles to the next service area or whatever they say.. they make you panic stricken :shocked: so i began carrying gas cans after that... saying for the peace of mind it was worth it... :bounce:

The Iceman 6
05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Won't change fishing patterns. Just have to suck it up, hell, I drive one way to fish anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours anyway, at that point does it really matter? My kids love bread sandwiches...

WadingWill
05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I will fish certain spots more and harder use the kayak more this year and probably stay away from soco in the fall run.I'm looking into getting a new truck hopefully hybrid if there is such a thing.

They make a Toyota Highlander hybrid, not sure how the gas mileage is.

piemma
05-12-2008, 04:16 PM
It isn't going to affect me one bit. I quit drinking almost 10 years ago. I figure what I use to spend on Vodka, I'll spend on gas for the boat. No problem.:kewl:

basswipe
05-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Staying very close to home.With $4 per gal.by Memorial Day a sure thing and $5 by the end of the year a realistic assumption and of course the price of home heating oil,I will ONLY fish close to home.I'm really frightened.

johnny ducketts
05-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Buying a mountain bike, riding to work, and saving my gas for the weekends

basswipe
05-12-2008, 04:39 PM
It isn't going to affect me one bit. I quit drinking almost 10 years ago. I figure what I use to spend on Vodka, I'll spend on gas for the boat. No problem.:kewl:

After Memorial Day you'll be back on the vodka when you see that gas bill!

tattoobob
05-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I will not change One bit, I like it just the way it is.

It's only Money can't take it with you, and I ain't leaving it for my kids

Rob Rockcrawler
05-12-2008, 05:01 PM
The only effect it will have is extending my trips. What used to be a one day trip to the cape or RI will now be an overnighter. So its actually going to work out to more fishing. Im spending close to 150.00 a week in gas commuting to work and making a fishing trip. Less stops at cumby's and aunt carries, packing meals and bringing drinks. Economic stimulus check is going to a gas card, so much for the VS.

justplugit
05-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Take the car fishing instead of the truck and walk more. 30 mpg vs 18 mpg.

Swimmer
05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Cut out the eating out, buddy up like Bigfish says, and stop with all the weekly extras, scratch tickets and all that stuff. Walk into the store get your paper and coffee to go. Eat at home, make sandwiches to take fishing with you.

God Sandman, $4.20 a gallon. Maybe this will break by derby time. If it doesn't the same routine will occur on island. No extras, just the fishing mam, and nothing else.

Bazza
05-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I plan to take my wife's Toyota Camery instead of my Durrango. Less driving around to different. spots

tynan19
05-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I am becoming a much better fly fisherman on the local rivers.

Slipknot
05-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I'll try harder to make each trip count.
Fish closer to home at the canal more this year.
I don't have the camper in Wellfleet anymore so I will be missing the beaches for sure. I'll still get out with my skiff this spring and summer too. I think the gas prices will affect my wife more than me.

BMEUPSCOTTY
05-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I will be staying local. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

HESH2
05-13-2008, 06:34 AM
piemma said it all,gave up smoking 30 years ago,now over $5 a pack,gave up my daily happy hours after work saved $$$$.still drink a little now and then though.alot of the guys and gals have long computes everyday including my kids,gas prices really take a big bite out of their paychecks,it sucks.

american spirit
05-13-2008, 12:50 PM
i've been riding my bike 1/2 way to work and conserved on any unesecessary shopping. carpool fishing doesn't always work for me. especially during weekdays. basically try to cut back in other areas to allow for increased fishing.

NEWENGLAND
05-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I just Pumped all the gas out of my 44 ft boat so I could use it to run my Zodiac, Chain Saw, Weed wacker etc for the summer

So I guess thats a Big Change in Plans.

Cool little Movie. Ill be doing this later this week with my rubber raft

http://www.texassharkfishingvideo.com/PhotoContent/DesignContent/JeffZodiac320X240VersionB.gif

I spent my Govt Incentive Checks already. almost filled the Oil tank in my house half way!

http://www.quantumknights.com/drop.jpg

Blitzseeker
05-13-2008, 03:21 PM
I can't even tell you how much I wish that I could get out to fish enough that the gas prices would become a factor.

Right now, when I can get out, I'm going...period.

hulkyj61
05-13-2008, 05:56 PM
wow its been a while since ive posted on here...

Even though i live across the street from what i think is the best spot in maine, i still like to do a little travel. I never really priced it out before but a day trip to Popham (northern maine) can cost a ton from where I am in Kennebunkport. $100 on gas, $25 on food (that can be cut out), $15 to park the car, and $10 on beers at the bar on the way home. (can also be cut out) thats $150 in a day!!!

Guess this summer I'll be sticking to my local spots, kayaking more rather than using the aluminum 15hp, and trying to find a car that doesnt get 15mpg.

tinyboatbigfish
05-13-2008, 08:20 PM
like lewis black said i plan to use all the gas i can then they have to come up with an alternative fuel for us to use it is getting to be very sad soon we will be working to pay for gas to get back to work it makes me sick instead of the checks the gov sent out it should have been we will drop the gas tax but no the gov knew as soon as we get the check they will get it back anyways damn this stinks :fury::af:

macojoe
05-13-2008, 09:39 PM
I plan to fish as much as last year, but friends will help out with gas, and I am changing boat ramps, I can fish the same spots and save 50 miles a trip by truck each day.

But then I have to cross Buzzards Bay and that can be a bit tricky at times!! :shocked:

zimmy
05-14-2008, 08:31 AM
They make a Toyota Highlander hybrid, not sure how the gas mileage is.

My friend has one. they get about 26 overall. Consumer reports got 28 highway, 20 city in their tests and 24 overall. That is about 6 mpg better than what they got overall in the regular highlander. My friends were initially a little dissapointed as they were expecting something like 35, which is unrealistic at this point in something that size. Overall, they really love the thing. The extra 6 mpg at $4 a gallon will eat up the extra cost of the hybrid pretty quick these days I would think.

I am fishing locally more this year, but thats more about babies than gas as my mazda gets around 32 on the highway so it isn't cost prohibitive yet.