View Full Version : zeebass...anyone have the skinny on the different models?

Mr. Sandman
05-13-2008, 07:14 AM
I see they have a Z rough and a few different configs. Does anyone know what the differences are? Is is the same reel without the fancy box?

What do you think is the right size for the surf 10' and a surf 11'? Are they really converable to any size reel as the site says?

JohnR
05-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Jim,

I'm getting mine upgraded a size so it will be a tick smaller than a VS 250.

After a full year, I have to say I like it a lot (Thanks everyone :btu: )

numbskull
05-13-2008, 09:10 AM
The ZX 25 is a 2.5" @ 18.7 oz reel that is close to the 250VS. The RD stands for rough version/ dual line rollers (I think). Good size for powerful 10 and 11 ft rods. The 27 is the same reel with a larger 2.7" spool (they are interchangable with the 25...they use the same rotor). The 2.7 holds enough line for a Tuna, probably overkill for bass.

The 20 and 22 are smaller reels. Same body, but smaller rotor. Spools are 2" and 2.2 I presume. Tough reels with plenty of drag for any bass that swims. Probably best with 9 ft and light 10 ft rods. They weigh about 16oz.

The Rough series comes with one spool, and ceramic rather than
titanium line rollers. The Preme series comes in a box with both size spools and the titanium line rollers. On either reel you can get larger handle knobs if you want.

Sounds like demand has taken off and getting them right now is difficult. Some sort of upgrade/modification is also in the works to turn the reel into a reversible model that allows L or R hand use.....which is key for those of us that like reels on top of the rod.

If you are on the vineyard and want to look at one pm me, I'll be at the MVH weds.

Pete_G
05-13-2008, 09:12 AM
The body/frame is universal, and then the smaller rotor will work with the 20 and 22 spool, with the bigger rotor working with the 25 and 27 spools. So yes, for a price, you can make any reel you want.

Rough is exactly what you described, no fancy box or tool kit. It's the way most people go.

I think the 25 matches the VS200 most closely, with the 27 being more like a VS250. The 27 is a very fast reel retrieving 39" of line per turn. The 25 is a more familiar 35' per turn.

Mr. Sandman
05-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Thank you guys... that was the best most direct review(s) I have seen anyplace. I am getting a new surf rod and I am thinking of putting one of these on there. I'll prob go with the 25.

VSH...(hospital?)... who are you going to see there? Whatever you do if you see my wife there DON'T show her that reel!!!...Geeez that will put the kabash on it for sure.:bl:

Mr. Sandman
05-13-2008, 09:45 AM
On more question...the bail version is a manual bail right?

Pete_G
05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
On more question...the bail version is a manual bail right?

Yes. Supposedly sometime this month it will be out.

tlapinski
05-13-2008, 05:55 PM
All in all, the ZB27 and VS250 are very comparable. I have only had my ZB for about a month now, but have been happy with the reel so far. Even tangled with a 25 #'er the other night on it.

Weights:
VS250
Total weight with full spool of 50# suffix braid : 22.7 ounces
Weight of spool : 7.5 ounces
Diameter of spool : 2.75"
ZX27RDG
Total weight with full spool of 50# Suffix braid : 23.6 ounces
Weight of spool : 8 ounces
Diameter of spool : 2.75"

Compared to my VS250:

reebok
05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Isn't there a larger reel foot needed when you opt for the large rotor? I seem to think I saw that posted, with pictures somewhere.