View Full Version : Interesting....

JohnR
10-24-2002, 10:51 AM
What would you call this team?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/29717p-28212c.html

Expos looking Fenway way

World Series Confidential

SAN FRANCISCO - How's this for a wild pitch: The Boston Expos.
The Daily News has learned that there have been preliminary discussions at the highest levels of baseball about having the MLB-owned Montreal Expos share Fenway Park with the Red Sox next season.

According to a source with knowledge of the discussions, the Expos would play in Fenway for one year while MLB continues to search for a buyer - and a suitable permanent location for them.

Under the discussed deal, MLB would pay the Red Sox rent for the Expos as Fenway tenants. The new Red Sox ownership group, headed by former Yankee limited partner John Henry, is said to be heavily leveraged after paying $700 million for the club and the added Fenway revenue would be an unexpected resource for them.

"This could be a win-win-win for all the parties involved except the 200 season ticket-holders in Montreal," the source said. "The Red Sox get the benefit of the extra revenue, the Expos get a great place to play where people will come out to see them and Boston fans get to see National League baseball again."

For the first half-century, Boston had two major-league teams, but in 1953 the Braves (who played in Braves Field, which is now part of Boston University) relocated to Milwaukee.

Scheduling would be fairly easy to arrange, since the Expos are in the NL East and the Red Sox are in the AL East. The source noted there are few conflicts on the schedule for next year, with the Red Sox out of town most of the time the Expos would be playing at home.

fishsmith
10-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Lets hope for a Sox vs Expos world series in 2003.

In other boston sports news, make sure to watch #24 get raised to the rafters at tonights Bruins game. I love the clips of Terry jumping the glass and pucnhing the Rangers fan while saying
"did you get your money's worth" :smash:

Carl
10-24-2002, 02:45 PM
I guess that means many more "home" games, but I still don't see any "post season" tickets going on sale any time soon.:D

JohnR
10-24-2002, 03:04 PM
Funny Carl.... :rolleyes:

http://www.boston.com/sports/redsox/news/102402_expos.htm

shore manic
10-26-2002, 07:21 AM
i said 25 years ago we should have a N.L. team in bos.just don't know why it never happened. their is certainly enough fans to support a second team,and besides the N.L.is real baseball.forget the D.H.some pithers can actually hit you know!!!