View Full Version : Eel Skin Storage Question

Chris in Mass
05-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Been having some success with eel skins (thanks Point Jude Joe). I'm storing the skins in a small tupperware in salt (no solution). Sticking in the fridge only. B&T guy said this would be fine. Not so sure for the long haul.

Searched a post and MAC stated that Kosher salt with some water to make a thin paste. Do you submerge or just put a ton of this paste in a bucket and shake it up? Also, do you re-tie lead-heads each time or just throw them in the bucket too?

Thanks

DZ
05-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Chris,
Fill your container with warm water - keep adding kosher salt and shake container until it doesn't dissolve anymore and starts to accumulate on the bottom. Add your eels and keep the solution in freezer. Your solution should not freeze solid but may be slush like. If it freezes hard add more salt.

DZ

zimmy
05-15-2008, 07:37 AM
I've never used em on plugs... do you take em off the plug after every trip or is there a way to store them on the plug?

Slipknot
05-15-2008, 07:53 AM
I keep mine in a tupperware container in the fridge. I put a layer of kosher salt in bottom then layer the skins, more salt then skkins then more salt. The salt is moistened with water and I have to add some water now and then if it dries. It makes a thick paste like Mac said. I have 5-6 y.o. skins like this and they are fine.

Backbeach Jake
05-15-2008, 08:06 AM
I supersaturate water with Kosher salt. Just dissolve the salt until the water won't take any more. I call it my "Uncle Josh" solution. Won't freeze either, keep skins and home made porkstrips in the shed. Because it gets real loud in the house if I put them in the fridge....

DZ
05-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Because it gets real loud in the house if I put them in the fridge....

Funny story:
At one time I kept my riggies in a plastic Newport Creamery Ice Cream container in the freezer. Of course my wife and her friends decide to have some ice cream one night and open the container of vanilla and quickly get grossed out with "eel sherbet".
DZ

Saltheart
05-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Just the dry salt in a zip lock or tupperware in the fridge will work fine.

PaulS
05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
I've never used em on plugs... do you take em off the plug after every trip or is there a way to store them on the plug?

You leave them on the plug.

I also store mine in the kosher salt w/the plugs. My biggest problem is finding big enough eels.

Flaptail
05-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Funny story:
At one time I kept my riggies in a plastic Newport Creamery Ice Cream container in the freezer. Of course my wife and her friends decide to have some ice cream one night and open the container of vanilla and quickly get grossed out with "eel sherbet".
DZ

OMFG! That was too funny! I will have to try that!

I keep mine in a Tupperware or like container. I get my pickling salt ( Kosher Pickling salt) when I go up to Worcester to visit my mother. I go to Water St. there to a Jewish deli and the guy measures it out into a paper bag. The stuff is really flaky in consistency.

I fill the container 1/2 way with the dry pickling salt and add warm water drops at a time until the salt is saturated but not wet so that it will pool water when you poke a finger into it. It should leave only the imprint of your finger tip but no water should show in that hole or imprint. Then it is perfect.

If you are going to leave skin rigs like eelskin jigs only use ones that have stainless steel hooks, same with riggies, use only ss siwash. If your storing plugs, use splits and remove hooks before long term ( week or more) use.

Check water percentage weekly and add as needed. Keep in the refridgerator. Freezing can leave discoloration on the skin if exposed and not covered by the salt and will dry the skin leaving it more prone to wear and tear when in use.

Label clearly so that the little woman or kids know it isn't guacomole!

Saltheart
05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't store riggies in salt. I freeze them hard in ziplock bags. Just the rigged eel in there , no salt whatsoever. I have also thawed and reused them many times with no problem.

Chris in Mass
05-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Great instructions guys. Thank you.

fumifish
05-16-2008, 08:19 AM
where can you purchase eel skins?

fumifish
05-16-2008, 06:42 PM
no help anyone?

:(

Chris in Mass
05-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Maco's B&T. Down the street from Red Top in Buzzard's Bay (or Bourne?), MA. Right before the Bourne Bridge, get off exit and head West.

fumifish
05-17-2008, 04:34 PM
thx CIM :kewl:

ill give them a shout.. maybe they will ship a few.

no eels big enough here to get a decent skin..

zimmy
05-19-2008, 11:33 AM
You leave them on the plug.

I also store mine in the kosher salt w/the plugs. My biggest problem is finding big enough eels.

thanks paul