View Full Version : Web Site Blocked

pmueller
05-15-2008, 06:53 AM
This totally stinks for me. S-B was blocked at work on my computer. Tried dealing with the it folks, but "sorry" no fun at work is the motto.
I'm bummed.

Raven
05-15-2008, 07:09 AM
a black berry hand held computer that they cannot manage

either that or find a better job while your working that one

any company that suffocates there staff with no email
or telephone calls or any other similar nonsense isn't worth
working for... } it's a trade remember, your labor for money{

the internet has replaced television for news
also........ including the newspaper.
so...................
take what you've done there and learned and parle' it into something bigger and better...

i know...easy for me to say... but what the heck!
all your eggs seem to be in one basket
so why not give
it a try... just for the hell of it... :read: and see what happens.

TomS
05-15-2008, 07:42 AM
There are ways around it if you are computer savvy and have a PC at home that has access to the internet. Do a Google seach on "SSH SOCKS PROXY"

-- Tom

JohnR
05-15-2008, 07:58 AM
There are a lot of ways around it but is it worth jeopardizing your job for web play? What happens if the business systems dig real deep and see Proxy, TOR, or some other traffic?

On the other hand, you could view this site over a mobile phone :hee: - one of things I installed :tooth:

I think business do have a legitimate gripe over lost productivity from people goofing off on the web instead of working - there really can be a balance.

eastendlu
05-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Try going to vtunnel and using that its an easy way to get around some server filters.

MrHunters
05-15-2008, 08:54 AM
There are a lot of ways around it but is it worth jeopardizing your job for web play? What happens if the business systems dig real deep and see Proxy, TOR, or some other traffic?

On the other hand, you could view this site over a mobile phone :hee: - one of things I installed :tooth:

I think business do have a legitimate gripe over lost productivity from people goofing off on the web instead of working - there really can be a balance.

john, i tried posting from my phone last night and it said there was an error with the certificate? both IE and Opera had this problem.

are you getting that as well?

Raven
05-15-2008, 09:16 AM

on the there really can be a balance...

work has to be a friendly fun place to go...so that when you get up in the morning your anxious to get there....

but when in the past
i've seen companies totally clamp down on their employees to where the fun of the marriage to the job became non-existent , the employees all left one by one to the similar company that still allowed some web surfing which has been compared to looking at a newspaper... btw

and even with the lowered salaries or hourly pay , the loss of productivity retraining new employees to do what their former crew had mastered never equaled what they would have had....if they had just left things alone.

there's always some person who is religious about how things look on paper... and they'll be the person secretly standing behind you with the stop watch.... figuring out a way ......to screw things up.

EarnedStripes44
05-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Raven, sorry to hear that. Happy workers are productive workers.

ProfessorM
05-15-2008, 07:19 PM
john, i tried posting from my phone last night and it said there was an error with the certificate? both IE and Opera had this problem.

are you getting that as well?

John that is what I was telling you about.
Sounds like the same thing I get when i try to post from my IPOD.

pmueller
05-15-2008, 08:24 PM
At first glance its certainly easy to say that they are suffocating employees. They've been pretty nice to me in the two years I've been there. Heck, John can probably remember when I got laid off at one place, to get hired here and not loose any time. I have nothing to really whine too much about. The real silly thing is I can get on all the other fishing sites still.
The job can at times be a little like a fireman, I'll hang around all day and get hammered at one point in the day. Surfing the fishing sites at times certainly does provide for enough entertainment.
Been scheeming a little to do the Blackberry thing. That might be a little easier to get by the general than a laptop.

fishsmith
05-16-2008, 08:26 AM
remote desktop to your home pc and access whatever you want from there.

Raider Ronnie
05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
What a bunch of slackers complaining about not being able to screw around on the internet while your supposed to be working !

Raven
05-16-2008, 05:18 PM
hows that bathroom project coming along

all Finished ???

Raider Ronnie
05-16-2008, 06:09 PM
hows that bathroom project coming along

all Finished ???

Close to being ready to start tiling,
But took a break for rigging the new boat !

BW from AZ
05-16-2008, 11:39 PM
there's always some person who is religious about how things look on paper... and they'll be the person secretly standing behind you with the stop watch.

Hey, I resemble that remark. I timed them button to button and figured 75% average for 8 hours and i was happy. Let them know what 100% was also. We had a good crew and took care of each other.

Raven
05-17-2008, 05:09 AM
that fosters robotics and not creativity BW.
the capachino machine is always full.

likwid
05-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Using a proxy or whathaveyou to circumvent web filtering is usually a fireable offense at most companies now. You are infact risking the integrity of the company's intranet.