View Full Version : Livewell problems

jkjnp
05-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Looking for advice/suggestions about how to diagnose the problem that is preventing my livewell from filling (a major problem with the number of pogies in the bay!!!)
Was out to day, found the pogies and started to fill the well, only I had to use a bucket! The aerator doesn't work.

The pump sounds like it's working, so I'm thinking the intake is clogged. Boat is in the water. Can I fix it without pulling the boat?

Thanks!

Jonas

thefishingfreak
05-18-2008, 04:12 PM
does it have a strainer on it thats clogged?
is the seacock still closed?
pull the hoses and see if water is getting 1. to the pump. and 2. from the pump?

fishaholic18
05-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Where are u located? I may be able to help/

zacs
05-18-2008, 05:14 PM
i have the worst luck with livewell pumps. I seem to go through one every 18 months.

First i would check what FF said, primarily starting with the seacock at the thruhll.

If not of that, it could easily be your pump. Unless you have the top of the top of the top of the line, they all seem to be made of the cheapest scrap metal and junk plastic that they can find, and go to sh!t very fast in a saltwater environment.

jkjnp
05-18-2008, 07:34 PM
f-18---pm sent.

Zac-
You don't know me, but I know your boat because I part time at the Kayak Centre in the summers (I teach middle school during the year). Are you trailering this year?
Thanks for the tips.

Raider Ronnie
05-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Assuming you have a good bronze sea cock,
start with the sea cock, disconnect the hose from that, open the valve (quickly) to see if water comes rushing in.
Continue from there to the livewell till you find the clog.
Or maybe your pump is just no good ???

fishaholic18
05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
i have the worst luck with livewell pumps. I seem to go through one every 18 months.

The pumps usually only last one season with heavy use. I replace mine every year...

Clammer
05-19-2008, 12:06 AM
&&& MINE ><><:lm:

zacs
05-19-2008, 12:29 AM
f-18---pm sent.

Zac-
You don't know me, but I know your boat because I part time at the Kayak Centre in the summers (I teach middle school during the year). Are you trailering this year?
Thanks for the tips.

right now my boat is at the next dock down behind the bank, but only until my dad gets his boat in, and then i will trailer for the rest of the summer. I will miss being at my old dock, but $2K+ buys a lot of gas...

Good Luck, let us know how you make out with the pump!

zacs
05-19-2008, 12:31 AM
The pumps usually only last one season with heavy use. I replace mine every year...

that is so fcked up. :af:

How do they get away with that BS???

Raider Ronnie
05-19-2008, 05:05 AM

You need to go to a better pump like this
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=44138F
than the one you are using !
We go years on our huge pumps, and i'll guarantee our livewells get used more !:uhuh:

zacs
05-19-2008, 06:32 AM
my last pump cost $199 shipped, and that was the best deal I could find on the web. It was not an "el cheapo".

I will try anything at this point, though. The Rule pump that you linked says "will not self prime and must be mounted below waterline." That won't work for me. Are you sure this is the model you are using, Ronnie?

jkjnp
05-19-2008, 08:41 AM

&&& MINE ><><:lm:

Ahh... Guess I'm going need a new pump. Clammer--my boat is a Sea Hunt 212 as well... don't think the pump has been replaced yet!

jkjnp
05-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Just returned from the boat--the livewell is up and running again beautifully --thanks to Fishaholic 18!!
He also put in a new raw water washdown pump...did great work!

Jonas

zacs
05-24-2008, 02:00 PM
what kind of pumps??? Mine crapped out on me this morning!!! pain in the **&#$@ @@#$%(_* @#$%(). May not be the pump, though, may be a short somewhere or a bad connection or splice.

f'n p(*U@ @# 2@#($.

likwid
05-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Go Rule or replace em every year.

fishaholic18
05-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Just returned from the boat--the livewell is up and running again beautifully --thanks to Fishaholic 18!!
He also put in a new raw water washdown pump...did great work!

Jonas

Thanx and Glad your happy Jonas, enjoy. Go bloody that deck and fill that livewell now..:btu:

fishaholic18
05-24-2008, 04:31 PM
what kind of pumps??? Mine crapped out on me this morning!!! pain in the **&#$@ @@#$%(_* @#$%(). May not be the pump, though, may be a short somewhere or a bad connection or splice.

f'n p(*U@ @# 2@#($.

Zacs, a quick test is pull the cartridge and see if the impeller spins free, if it's tight, pump needs replacement.

beamie
05-24-2008, 07:39 PM
You need to go to a better pump like this
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=44138F
than the one you are using !
We go years on our huge pumps, and i'll guarantee our livewells get used more !:uhuh:

This is the only pump to use for huge volume, last years but don't buy it there.......try this one
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|299222|84462|315207&id=84540

Only downside is if drifting without running the engine these pumps suck the juice!!!!!!

jkjnp
05-25-2008, 02:38 PM

f'n p(*U@ @# 2@#($.

Zac,

Have Dave check it out...he'll take care of it.

Saw you out there this morning with RIJimmy...how'd you do?

fishaholic18
05-25-2008, 07:09 PM

f'n p(*U@ @# 2@#($.

He had a 700 GPH, I put in one of the new style Rule 800 GPH pumps. I also added a SureFlo washdown pump... He's sportin' now...:cool: