View Full Version : Recommendations for a spin rod...

Brine
05-20-2008, 05:36 PM
That with throw 9" rubber shads. My heaviest rod is a Lami xsra-1205 and I didn't want to push it with that rod. I know conventional is the way to go, but, I have stupid (and lazy) thumbs. :jester: Anyway, any suggestions? I probably wont go with a higher end rod because I'm not sure how often I'll fish a 9" shad. Anyone fishing Ticas or Tsunamis?

Okay, just for s&gs, what do ya like for a higher end rod for the job (spinning)?

On another note, the Storm website says that their 9" shad weighs 2 3/4 oz. that doesn't seem right. I thought all of the 9" shads were around 6 or so oz.

Rob Rockcrawler
05-21-2008, 05:12 PM
The 2 3/4 oz is the weight of the rubber which i dont even know if that is accurate. The rest is the sinker. No help on a rod, wouldnt throw a shad that big without my convench.

get out there
05-22-2008, 02:58 AM
get yourself a 6'6 shakespeare sturdy stick ive had one for 12 years and just bought another for $20 you cant go wrong.pull up big stripers right up off the bridge never had an issue.

Brine
05-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I decided to change tactics and go with throwing 7" shads instead. They're around 4 oz. and much more managable. I might just end up going with a conventional in the future though.

Funny thing is, it wasn't the shad they wanted anyway. It was the 6" sluggo! Sand eels are around in a big way! The last two days have been sick!

7milebridge
05-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I own, and swear by ticas. My wife bought me a 9' Tica 2 piece. It is awesome for throwing heavy weight, and still feeling all of the action. I have 30 power pro braid, and with a decent reel one can launch a 9" Shad.

Circlehook
05-23-2008, 08:31 PM
I have to say, I am very impressed with my new Lami XS101MHS, the 10' surf and jetty rod. It is rated for 3-6, it casts the 9" tsunami shads pretty well, and absolutely launches a 3 oz pencil.

Got a penn 704 greenie on it.