View Full Version : It's alive!! The river that is...

planter
05-21-2008, 12:21 PM
The NR is now officially loaded with fish. Awful lot of small ones but a nice handful of small keepers in the mix. From XXX to XXXX and the forth it has been great. I sure would like to catch a cow but short fish on top are sure alot of fun.

Based on a decent report or two it seems the best as well as the most have been caught up the old creek. 28 miles of river bank and every inch looks fine. I have heard reports of tautog in the river although that is very unusual. Talked with a guy crabbing for bait and he said the Fluke are moving north. ! wonder??

J_T_R
05-21-2008, 01:31 PM
If I wasn't writing a damn term paper, I'd be there in an instant. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

fishsmith
05-21-2008, 03:17 PM
i'm sure there will be plenty of company :doh:

BigBo
05-21-2008, 03:23 PM
There certainly will be now.:gorez:

Lurkin2learn
05-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Planter, ease up on the Lat Lon... Keep it generic. Send me a PM

Slingah
05-21-2008, 04:58 PM
every river around here is " alive "...it happens every May....we understand the jubilation and it's all good news... but please be kind and just watch the naming of specific places...thanks!!!! :bounce:

nklinesider
05-21-2008, 05:36 PM
im new to the site here, but not to the holy striped bass....why is it that you guys are so serious about spots? i understand you dont want specific spots getting blown up but dont you think its more helpfull to your fellow fisherman to give a better fishing report? just seems kinda silly to be so serious about it, if you want to tell some guys you got into a blitz of keepers on the third dock south of the newport bridge on the jtn side, why does everyone jump down your throat? just wondering

RIROCKHOUND
05-21-2008, 05:39 PM
why does everyone jump down your throat? just wondering

Because the next day your spot will have 200 people, which will leave trash, and suddenly you loose access to that spot.

tinyboatbigfish
05-21-2008, 05:44 PM
amen to that RIROCK

Jenn
05-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Spot talk on the internet is not just "telling a few guys" its telling the world. Which can then lead to spot burn....and possibly even spot loss. A very touchy subject to many.

I edited the post to be proactive before too many got their panties in a bunch. I honestly dont even know where planter is talking about but by the sounds of things it was specific.

planter
05-21-2008, 08:03 PM
I was no more specific than the Patriot Ledger or any other fishing report. They were the same places the guy behind the counter at Belsan's will send an inquiring rookie. I wouldn't think a secret spot is the first one the bait salesman would send you to.
If there is public access now I'm not sure what the harm is but I will resist being specific in an open forum but happy to share the wealth via PM. Sorry guys.

Slingah
05-21-2008, 09:18 PM
the interblab reaches many more than print or mouth....and one of the places you speak of has serious access issues.....but don't feel bad....my first post on here 5 years ago, I burnt it hard and Bossman set me straight...now I am part of the Spot Police....:D

BigBo
05-21-2008, 10:19 PM
I think many of us have innocently been there in the past with well meaning reports to pass along. If we were only sharing with the members in good standing of this site, it wouldn't be such a bad thing.
I see lurkers. :kewl::hidin:

davisd
05-22-2008, 07:05 AM
:mad:Thank Jenn for editing that!!! The newpaper and the guy at Belsans should not be giving out certain spots. Most of us know that one spot we will not be fishing someday because of all the publicity. Another little spot is already restricted to Norwell res only. Keep up the great work

kayaman
05-22-2008, 08:43 AM
:mad:Thank Jenn for editing that!!! The newpaper and the guy at Belsans should not be giving out certain spots. Most of us know that one spot we will not be fishing someday because of all the publicity. Another little spot is already restricted to Norwell res only. Keep up the great work

that little spot used to be one of my favorites... still try and use it once in a while in the middle of the night...

the interblab reaches many more than print or mouth....and one of the places you speak of has serious access issues.....but don't feel bad....my first post on here 5 years ago, I burnt it hard and Bossman set me straight...now I am part of the Spot Police....:D

Slingah.... how you been? long time no talk... knees are doing somewhat better ... hope to get out more this season... only got out one time last year... bought a new truck... hoping to do more beach fishing this year.... knees won't let me hike to those good spots any more...you know... that good one after a hike in hingham http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/kayaman/smilies/whistle-1.gif

wjm
05-22-2008, 09:19 AM
See all you this weekend

RIROCKHOUND
05-22-2008, 09:27 AM
I was no more specific than the Patriot Ledger or any other fishing report. They were the same places the guy behind the counter at Belsan's will send an inquiring rookie. I wouldn't think a secret spot is the first one the bait salesman would send you to.
If there is public access now I'm not sure what the harm is but I will resist being specific in an open forum but happy to share the wealth via PM. Sorry guys.

There is a difference between the bait shop steering you, and the print/web reports.

Anyone who thinks it isn't a problem hasn't had a spot burned.

smac
05-22-2008, 10:16 AM
im new to the site here, but not to the holy striped bass....why is it that you guys are so serious about spots? i understand you dont want specific spots getting blown up but dont you think its more helpfull to your fellow fisherman to give a better fishing report? just seems kinda silly to be so serious about it, if you want to tell some guys you got into a blitz of keepers on the third dock south of the newport bridge on the jtn side, why does everyone jump down your throat? just wondering

Tell you what. Post your own report stating how awesome the fishing was at the spot you were at last night. post the adress and go there the next night or the next weekend. You will see what happens. No BS. There are people who just cruise the web looking for spot burning b/c they are to lazy to find there own spot.

BW from AZ
05-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Two years ago we shared a hot spot we knew was producing with a local bait shop. The next day as we motored by there was way to many boats trying that spot to be a coincidence. Now she gets reports for reports. Helps us learn differant places.

planter
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I can understand the concern of losing access to spot xxxx but that location is very unique and not many people are able to fish it anyway. I would be mortified if I could not get in there anymore. That being said there are over 28 miles of riverbank to fish from on the north alone and I hate to be exclusionary if I don't have to.
I will try and be a bit more descreet about broadcasting specifics but I sure find myself wanting to give directions to the Shad rookery. They are thicker than fisherman at an overly reported on hot spot. If you have never fished the shad you just don't know what your missing.

davisd
05-22-2008, 08:08 PM
:eek:That spot was burned about a hundred years ago thanks to Field And Stream or Outdoor Life I forget which.

kayaman
05-23-2008, 05:07 AM
I can understand the concern of losing access to spot xxxx but that location is very unique and not many people are able to fish it anyway. I would be mortified if I could not get in there anymore. That being said there are over 28 miles of riverbank to fish from on the north alone and I hate to be exclusionary if I don't have to.
I will try and be a bit more descreet about broadcasting specifics but I sure find myself wanting to give directions to the Shad rookery. They are thicker than fisherman at an overly reported on hot spot. If you have never fished the shad you just don't know what your missing.
I have fished for shad... both on the north and south shore.... can't stand the crowds... lines over lines... who needs it.... it's like fishing the sandbar near the mouth of the merrimack on a sunday... insane....

Slingah
05-23-2008, 03:31 PM
that little spot used to be one of my favorites... still try and use it once in a while in the middle of the night...

Slingah.... how you been? long time no talk... knees are doing somewhat better ... hope to get out more this season... only got out one time last year... bought a new truck... hoping to do more beach fishing this year.... knees won't let me hike to those good spots any more...you know... that good one after a hike in hingham http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/kayaman/smilies/whistle-1.gif

Hiya Kaya...I sent you a pm...