View Full Version : Which is the Greatest of THESE.................

BassDawg
05-23-2008, 04:26 AM
the BIG three intangibles:

Feel, Mojo, Luck?

Luck
don't know how many times i've read either in the paper or
in the forums about these four leaf clover covered and golden horseshoe up their arses people that go out for their first time and land themselves a fifty at the first place they ever go to................

Mojo
while karma is not something that i base my life practices on, it is one of the principals of the wacky world we live in. i prefer to base my actions on the higher good and reap what i sow ~as the Good Book tells us~ certainly, there are some things that just "come together" on some nights that make ya wonder who's keeping score in the Big Game called Life..............

Feel
prolly the most difficult to master of all the intangibles; yet, some people are just born with it and have been blessed with an uncanny ability to locate fish/read water/instinctively "know" where the fish are. as if they can "see" them under the water and behind that submerged ambush rock, creative visualization and several legends come to mind...............

sooooo.............
how much of what we do is based on which?
or can they be ranked in order of importance?

if ten surfcasters with the same amount of time in the surf and equal in technical abilities all went to the same spot, under the same conditions, and worked the same offering; then how much do the above intangibles determine who hooks up, and who Lands LAHHHHGE??

rhetorical, i know,,,,,,,,,,,,and the best of the best prolly incorporate all three into their best nights in the surf. this has just been a crude attempt to quantify the immeasurable or evaluate the non-technical/more esoteric side of this thing that we do.

and until i get better at technique, it's ALL i've got :smash: :bl: :bl: :smash:.............

Raven
05-23-2008, 04:54 AM
it would be

Feel
Luck
Mojo

to explain...

to feel...is the most important of the three...because even when a dowser is holding the two bent rods searching for underground water supplies it's the dowsers "body" that acts as a conduit . Most people give credence to this form of perception as whats within ten to twenty yards of them and thats it. Personally i don't think so.
i think ESP can extend much further and through many senses
some of which haven't even been discovered yet.

The Luck is the fact that conditions are such that the transient fish
is in your spot and ready to slam your bait when you offer it

the Mojo is the self confidence that comes from being properly prepared with good enough gear that your able to take advantage of the other two factors and catch the Bass without a problem.

fishaholic18
05-23-2008, 04:55 AM
None of it even exists... It's all made up mumbo jumbo.. I say..IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!;)

Joe
05-23-2008, 05:49 AM
Fishsense is very real. It's a combination of all those things coupled with being a "chosen one" someone who is simply a born fisherman.

BigFish
05-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Know your spot, know how to read the conditions and to be able to adjust to the current, know the bottom structure and where the fish might be holding.....lastly.....being a plug fisherman......know the many ways that your plug can be presented and how to vary your retrieve speed to find what triggers the fish! It has nothing to do with mojo, Karma, luck, rabbits feet or feel! I would add one thing which is probably the most important attribute when heading out fishing........you must carry with you aPOSITIVE ATTITUDE!;)

There is one person on here who really needs to stick that last thing in his plug bag when he heads out.......any guesses who that is?

FishermanTim
05-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Know your spot, know how to read the conditions and to be able to adjust to the current, know the bottom structure and where the fish might be holding.....lastly.....being a plug fisherman......know the many ways that your plug can be presented and how to vary your retrieve speed to find what triggers the fish! It has nothing to do with mojo, Karma, luck, rabbits feet or feel! I would add one thing which is probably the most important attribute when heading out fishing........you must carry with you aPOSITIVE ATTITUDE!;)....

I'd go as far as saying SKILL, since you need to know how, when and where to fish before LUCK would enter the picture. Luck would be the fact that your line/knot/leader didn't fail when you finally hook up with a cow. MOJO would be similar to style, such as your lure choice/color and when/where to cast.

eastendlu
05-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Just like poker its all luck!!!

NOT!!!

Rockport24
05-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Fishsense is very real. It's a combination of all those things coupled with being a "chosen one" someone who is simply a born fisherman.

I think this really sums it up. Of course you have to know everything about everything and that comes with tons time on the water spent really paying attention, but I really think that some people are just born fisherman and will always do better than other people that work just as hard because they just have the mind or the feel for it more than most people.

nklinesider
05-23-2008, 05:55 PM
i agree that its definetley more about experience and time on the water then it is about luck or mojo. "feel" is what you get when you have put in the time on the water to aquire the "fishsense". though i do agree with the fact that some poeple really are just born fishermen. some people just have the same mindset as the fish.

BassDawg
05-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Well said Raven and Joe....................

i agree that our senses are capable of much more than what we've documented thru science and labwork. i mean, even the most brilliant minds of medicine have yet to map the entire brain and they will never be able to quantify the human spirit..............

i think that most of us have experienced being in, to borrow a sports analogy, "the zone". you know that place when it seems as though time stands still and you are making ALL the right moves ~no matter what field of endeavor you may be involved with. when something of great measure or physicality seems and feels completely effortless........

Larry, i highly value the confidence and PMA factor, especially on those loooong hitless nights, when you've moved to spot #4 and you're about to go home with the skunk; then you make that ONE more cast and BANG.........stripers awwwwwn!

the numbers and data MUST be figured in and it goes without saying that the more you fish the better you will get, hopefully. even so, the intangibles are real and they certainly affect a portion of what we do, given that everything else is "the same".

i rank them like this:

Luck ~~being the least important and readily available to anyone and everyone.....should they be so "fortunate". it requires very little experience and can aid the wily veteran, when he least expects it!
Mojo ~~being the second most important and is primarily based on the ways and attitudes we employ when we approach the surf, the species, and our fellow surfcasters.
Feel ~~being the greatest of all three and that 6th sense that some have with fishing and some don't. in my view, this is the rarest of the three and the most powerful. sadly, we can't ALL be tradesmen, neuro surgeons, authors, bricklayers, teachers, 500 HR hitters, super sharpies..............sum things we are just born to do.

GonnaCatchABig1
05-23-2008, 07:27 PM
I would add one thing which is probably the most important attribute when heading out fishing........you must carry with you aPOSITIVE ATTITUDE!;)

There is one person on here who really needs to stick that last thing in his plug bag when he heads out.......any guesses who that is?

i have absolutely no idea who that could be... :huh:

oh and you forgot the most important intangible ... not being me. or with in 50 yards of me.