View Full Version : Bass newbie with a question RE: live lining

bisoned
05-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I was out early this AM with about a dozen live pogies.

I live lined them with a treble hook, no weight, hooked through the holes over the mouth. I had numerous hits (almost on every drop). I did not manage to hook any.

When I noticed the pogie under duress I would let out the bale to allow the bass to run. I counted to five, pointed the rod at the fish, and set the bale. What next, and is this the right technique? Would I be better off with a circle hook hooked over the dorsal fin?

In any event, I went through a dozen pogies in about 45 minutes.... very frustrating. Adding to the frustration, I was about a half an hour away from where I snagged them, but by 7:30 I was out of bait!

anything to help would be appreciated.

JohnR
05-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Your original way is sufficient - let them run a bit more. Sometimes the bass will just play with the bunker when they're fat and happy

Welcome to S-B

tattoobob
05-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Smaller fish will run with the fish and then drop it just when you set the hook, happens with herring, eels too

try chunking them even just the head

bisoned
05-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Smaller fish will run with the fish and then drop it just when you set the hook, happens with herring, eels too

try chunking them even just the head

Very possible they were small, but I was marking some big fish. The fish I saw when they chased to the surface appeared to be high 30" - low 40". They were taking some pretty big fish.

Good idea though. Would a circle hook increase my success ratio?

thefishingfreak
05-23-2008, 07:48 PM
if your gunna use circle hooks put the rod in the holder and don't touch it till he starts taking drag.

I'd put another treble in it's back.:hihi:

animal
05-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Every time I try to use circles(to learn how myself)I fail miserably.I think I just enjoy setting the hook too much.More than likely you need to let them run longer,it's hard to wait,but you've gotta.Good luck.

bisoned
05-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks all for the advice. I managed to boat a 36" keeper this AM, on my only bass hit. I turned the reel on click when I noticed my bunker getting unwanted attention. Let her run for about three seconds, then set the hook. I would not have done the above today without the advice given yesterday.

The choppers were out in full force, swam away with two of my trebles.