View Full Version : Rod and reel for braid

ilovetwofish
05-25-2008, 10:34 AM
I use nothing but 30 lb power pro I was wondering if there is a rod and reel that is specifically for braid.

Frankiesurf
05-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Any rod with SIC ( silicone carbide) or Aluminum oxide guides will do. The braid doesn't cut notches in them. As far as reels go. There is one reel that says it is made for braid and to reduce windknots. I completly forgot what it is but the top of the spool looks like a circular saw blade. Otherwise any reel can handle braid. You just have to make sure not to overspool it.

basswipe
05-26-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't use braid but its my understanding that the better the reel lays the line on the spool the better the braid will work with it.I'm using a Stradic FI quite frequently and I've never used a reel that lays line so evenly on the spool than this reel and that in turn makes for great casts.Plus zero line twist so far.Insanely smooth to boot.

5 String Bass
05-26-2008, 07:30 PM
my tica scepter reel is very braid friendly :)

ilovetwofish
05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
What number 4000 or higher.I checked them out nice reels.

I don't use braid but its my understanding that the better the reel lays the line on the spool the better the braid will work with it.I'm using a Stradic FI quite frequently and I've never used a reel that lays line so evenly on the spool than this reel and that in turn makes for great casts.Plus zero line twist so far.Insanely smooth to boot.

WadingWill
05-27-2008, 06:58 AM
I have a Cabo 60 that I use 30# Power Pro on and as long as you don't overspool it you should be fine. There is a small learning curve with braid as I'm sure you know. Just make sure after you cast you pull all the tension out of the line before you start reeling in to avoid the dreaded wind knot.

1dozenraw
05-27-2008, 07:29 AM
I use Shimano Spheros and Baitrunners with Fireline and PowerPro. I have no problems... as long as I ALWAYS close the bail with my hand and not by cranking the handle. There is a routine that comes quite naturally where I pickup the line and shut the bail with my left hand before cranking. I also use Fireline on VS200s and 706z Penns with no issues.

basswipe
05-27-2008, 04:41 PM
What number 4000 or higher.I checked them out nice reels.

The only real test left is something truly large to test the drag to its max.

gone fishin
05-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Conventional reels are braid friendly !!! Long cast also.:fishin:

ilovetwofish
05-28-2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks all I always use the green and do all the little tricks and have no problems.I bought the new red by accident and I think I overspooled big problems ended up taking most of it off.