View Full Version : UNBELIEVABLE BAD LUCK FOR RAVEN!!!

piemma
05-25-2008, 10:57 AM
His house burned down this morning!

This is not a joke. I was out in the Bay fishing and Raven called to let me know and asked me to post this. Obviously his computer burned in the fire.

Fortunately the dog was with them and the house is insured but jezz, has this guy got bad luck or what???

My heart goes out to him and his family!!

basswipe
05-25-2008, 11:11 AM
My heart goes out to him and his family!!

Same here.

BigFish
05-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Raven, if you are out there.....my heart goes out to you. Glad you all got out safe. Please let me know if there is absolutely anything I can do to help. Hope it was not a total loss?

Slingah
05-25-2008, 11:27 AM
holy crap...that really sux....best of luck...

JohnR
05-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Best of luck Raven - fortunately you and the family are safe - that's all that counts.

angler229
05-25-2008, 11:34 AM
That's really awful. I wish Raven and his family the best in these tough times.

Adam_777
05-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Unbelievable .Just when I had thought his luck couldn't have gotten any worse.At least they are safe I'm hoping they have somewhere to stay while they get it all worked out.Keep us posted if you can.He's got alot of friends here.

fishsmith
05-25-2008, 11:59 AM
So sorry to hear, Best wishes with the recovery, thank god no one was hurt.

piemma
05-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I believe the house is a total loss. he told me that they will be moving a trailer onto his property for his family to live in.

I told him that the upside is he can now build the house that he always wanted.

Tough way to do it though.
He will ultimately get your messages as he told me that he will be using the library computer until his insurance settles. If anyone has an old used maching, I am sure he would appreciate the loan of it.

I just gave way a dual procesor 486 with a gig of ram to one of my nephews.

spence
05-25-2008, 12:25 PM
That is incredibly bad, but considering I've had the experience of carrying my mother (who can't walk) out of their burning house just be thankfull nobody was hurt...

-spence

JohnR
05-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Paul, if he can use Linux I can put a decent machine together for him. I just don't have any spare copies of Windows to legally put on a machine.

fishaholic18
05-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Paulie told me about this this morning... I can't believe it.. Guy can't catch a break.. He has a big heart too.. My thoughts and prayers go out to you Raven,,,

Clammer
05-25-2008, 01:16 PM
that really sucks & people bitch about the little stuff ;;

I,m around if I can help >.

eastendlu
05-25-2008, 02:20 PM
OMG!! Thats terrible one of my worst nightmares is to lose my home to fire.Dam shame Craig and i'm deeply saddend by your loss.Like some have said before me your luck is not all bad your family and yourself escaped harm.

jim sylvester
05-25-2008, 02:57 PM
glad everyone is ok

man...what a streak......

chunk
05-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Thankfully everyone was safe.

numbskull
05-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Awful :(

piemma
05-25-2008, 04:21 PM
I have a phone number. I'm pretty sure this is the number he called me from this morning. 508-816-5278.

Thought you guys would want to know that I got an email from Mt Wanderer (a guy on this board) who is donating a laptop to Raven. Nice jesture on his part.

If anyone knows Raven personally, which I don't, please let me know if I published the right number for him. Obviously, it's not his house number as there is no more house.

Paul

FishNH
05-25-2008, 05:21 PM
That really sucks but luckily no one got hurt or killed.

Katie
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
wow, thats rediculous.
glad everyone got out okay

Striper1
05-25-2008, 06:31 PM
that really sucks & people bitch about the little stuff ;;

I,m around if I can help >.

Clammer is right on ....
stuff like this puts it all into perspective.

Raven,
I'm happy the clan is well....you know the rest can be replaced.
Frank.

Circlehook
05-25-2008, 06:37 PM
I am willing to help out, anyway that I can.

Raven, as said before, ALL the important things where spared.

The only things important on earth are those which you will have with you in heaven.

zacs
05-25-2008, 06:44 PM
how horrible. :(
what can we do to help?

tattoobob
05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Sorry for your loss, I am glad everyone was safe and unharmed

afterhours
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
wow talk about chitty luck. glad to hear family and dog are ok! posessions can be replaced.

stripercrazy
05-25-2008, 08:48 PM
that shinks...hope everything works out:(

Backbeach Jake
05-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Raven, you're really on a streak. One that I don't know that I'd have the strength to handle. What can I do to help? Do you and the Mrs. Need clothing? PM some sizes. Anything else? Home fires take everything. What a gut wrencher....

macojoe
05-25-2008, 10:39 PM
WTF!!! I am so sorry for you!! I go to this site called Free Cycle, they give all kinds of stuff away for FREE

When you say you have a place to stay I am sure I can get you all kinds of stuff to furnish a place, Just let me Know!

GonnaCatchABig1
05-26-2008, 12:04 AM
that's no good at all. we had a basement apt that went up in flames. the basement managed to escape but the upper floor was GONE. we didnt lose much stuff. just some thing to water and smoke damage. but our clothes made it out for the most part. still it really sucked. cause we were close to the people up stairs. and they lost everything including their cats.
and for some reason their dad (who owned it) had no insurance.
so both families had to pack up and start over. them more so then us.

if yer out there raven... i know this is gonna sound like complete B.S. but it's really not the worst thing that could happen as long as every one is safe. their are very kind people out there that will help pick up the pieces.

losing those priceless memories (photos, rewards or trophies etc) and what not really stings. but eventually more memories are made and possessions return. and after a few years it will be merely a story.

its absolutely devastating at first. but eventually it seems like it never happened. (much easier if you have money.. which neither of ours did. so don't worry even if money is tight it will work out)

i wish you and your family nothing but the best with the recovery.
keep your chin up. every one is ok and you WILL rebuild your life. everything will work out.

redcrbbr
05-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Craig, email sent.

hang in there

Biteme
05-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Thankfully everyone is safe

johnny ducketts
05-26-2008, 05:35 AM
sorry to hear the bad news, thankfully everyone is ok.

fishbones
05-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Sorry to here the news. Best of luck with everthing, Raven. Glad the family is o.k. When you can post, let us know what types of things you need. I'm sure a lot of us have stuff we can donate or lend.

vineyardblues
05-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Sorry to hear this news.....
Glad everyone is ok, that is the good thing!
VB

NIB
05-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Unbelievable bad luck...
Raven, someone made u strong to put so much on ur shoulders..U will come thru this....

Brother Brian
05-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Sorry to hear it. Thank God no one was hurt.

Slipknot
05-26-2008, 08:05 AM
:eek: WOW, that is awful news.
I hope things turn around for the Raven clan now.
What a friggan nightmare.

cutchogue
05-26-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this sort of news. Raven you and your family are in my prayers. Thank God no one was hurt. If there is anyway I can help please let me know. If some one here starts a plug raffle for Raven please send me a PM I will definitely send a few plugs or cash donation whatever is needed
Al,

Fish_Eye
05-26-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. We'll keep you and your family in our prayers and we wish you a speedy return to normalcy. Keep the faith, you and your family are alive.

OnTheLedge
05-26-2008, 09:36 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss, Raven. Hang in there.

crash
05-26-2008, 09:55 AM
.... Don't really know what to say exept I'm sorry, but happy that no one was hurt.

As soon as you have somewhere to put it, I can get a dell w/XP for you, monitor, etc. It will at least be a long term loaner, probably to keep. Anybody planning to head from the New Bedford area towards Raven in the near future?

freebie
05-26-2008, 11:07 AM
as everyone else has stated, anything we can do to help let us know
Ryan and Katie

justplugit
05-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Sorry Rav, you have my #.

Cranium
05-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Raven. sorry for the loss. I tried to call you, let me know what I can do to help.
Mark

Flaptail
05-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Sorry to hear that Craig.

Material things are the easiest to replace.

As long as your all safe, thats all that counts.

Brine
05-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Raven, try to find comfort in knowing that everyone is safe and things could have been worse. That happened to my family when I was a lot younger. We lost everything. We were very fortunate to have family that helped us all get back on our feet. From keeping a roof over our head when there was none, to helping us rebuild a new one.

I wish you and your family a speedy recovery back to normalcy. Keep your head up, and take care.

Swimmer
05-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Rave I don't know what to say. I am really glad everyone is physically o.k. T & P for a speedy recovery from th is.

partsjay
05-26-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm glad everyone is OK....

Goose
05-26-2008, 07:10 PM
sorry to hear the sad news. hope they're handling it well

5 String Bass
05-26-2008, 07:19 PM
WOW, glad everyone is OK. Insurance is a good thing when you need it, damn.

Van
05-26-2008, 07:31 PM
My thoughts are with you Raven. It really sucks and is an unbelievable distruption in your life. I say this because i have been there. It was my parents house at the time. But man I'll never forget.

Glad everyone is fine.
Truely wishing all works out for you.

RIJIMMY
05-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Wow, sorry to hear Raven. Thats awful, but as everyone said, at least no one was hurt. Look to the future and the challenge of rebuilding, not many times you get a second chance.

Raider Ronnie
05-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Holy crap,
Glad everyone got out safe !

Skitterpop
05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi Raven,

Wish I could help somehow.I will say some prayers for you and your family.

Best,
Mike

MarshCappa
05-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Thank God everyone is OK. Keep the faith Raven and know a lot of people are pulling for you and can help your pick up the pieces.

In The Surf
05-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news but glad everyone is ok.

Rappin Mikey
05-27-2008, 06:53 AM
OMG! So sorry to hear the news. T & Ps sent to your family.

kayaman
05-27-2008, 06:53 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news but glad everyone is ok.

ditto........

fish4striper
05-27-2008, 06:54 AM
sorry for your loss Raven, glad everyone is safe

bassackward
05-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Sorry for your loss as well. At least no persons or family pets were lost. You will rebound.

PaulS
05-27-2008, 07:01 AM
That sucks but thank God everyone is ok. Someday he'll look back and say remember when our luck was so crappy, thank goodness it turned around.

zimmy
05-27-2008, 07:48 AM
really sorry to hear it. I know it has been said... it is great news that everyone is safe. hang in there.

Gunpowder
05-27-2008, 07:50 AM
like zimmy said, hang in there pal. if you need anything, let us know. you got a great community here.

mike

chris L
05-27-2008, 08:22 AM
wow that just is crazy . your having a bad run of luck . but no one was injured . good luck .

Saltheart
05-27-2008, 08:30 AM
What a tragedy. At least everyone is safe.

Nebe
05-27-2008, 08:33 AM
sorry for your loss raven. Thank goodness you had insurance.

Rockfish9
05-27-2008, 09:58 AM
This just aint fair.....:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Finaddict
05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
I believe the house is a total loss. he told me that they will be moving a trailer onto his property for his family to live in.

I told him that the upside is he can now build the house that he always wanted.

Tough way to do it though.
He will ultimately get your messages as he told me that he will be using the library computer until his insurance settles. If anyone has an old used maching, I am sure he would appreciate the loan of it.

I just gave way a dual procesor 486 with a gig of ram to one of my nephews.

I have a SONY Vaios GR 390 laptop that I am no longer using - purchased it in 2002 - it crashed, but probably can be saved. He is welcome to it, might need work if anyone wants to help out. But glad to give it to him.

Rockport24
05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
oh man, very sorry for the loss Raven, hey, I think after all this crap, you are due very good things in your future

The Iceman 6
05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
"and the hits just keep coming." Sorry for your loss of property Raven, thank god you and the fam (including the dog) were out safely. In the end, that's what matters. Thinkin' of you guys....

Ice

RickBomba
05-27-2008, 11:54 AM
If anybody talks to Raven can you let him know that whatever zmikey and I can do for him, let him know.
Thoughts and prayers from me, as well.

STREETFIGHT
05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
wow- good luck getting it all put back together

Raven
05-27-2008, 02:23 PM
I have a phone number. I'm pretty sure this is the number he called me from this morning.

Thought you guys would want to know that I got an email from Mt Wanderer (a guy on this board) who is donating a laptop to Raven. Nice jesture on his part.

If anyone knows Raven personally, which I don't, please let me know if I published the right number for him. Obviously, it's not his house number as there is no more house.

Paul

first thing you can do for me is

to not call the above number

because it belongs to my SISTER in law...
and the phone was just a loaner until i got a new cell phone [giving it back today ]

MY number is 774 200 3607 ....
but go easy on me...
i have so much to do now it's insane...
my work load has just quadrupled....

no water... to drink..
& no power... at the farm..

we're staying at a Motel for this week...

that'll change soon however..

Luckilly the big tanker truck BODY out in back of my barn has 1000 gallons of water in it
...so i siphoned water from it to keep the garden from turning into a friggan BRICK
so all is well there.... hundreds of plants... to water

in times like these...

you just need more moral support
to make sense of it all... :huh:

i've been drinking beer like water
after maybe 1 a day...for years...
i'm kind of in the
anger phase now

a trailer will be moved on the place hopefully
on friday thats furnished...

and insurance will cover everything...

all my fishing gear was spared...for the most part... the boxes themselves got scorched though ... they'll get replaced...

unfortunately [ rescuing the wedding pictures..]
when coming down the wet stairs that are carpeted
my feet slipped out from under me

and i went bumpity bump bump all the way down and slightly fractured my left elbo
but now it's only just a little sore...
but i had to go get x-rays and document it
...just in case...of troubles later... but no biggy...:)

our fish in the tank got boiled...
the cage birds were killed
but quite thankfully we had Star with us...

we had just gone to the grocery store
to grab three items...
20 minutes there
20 minutes to shop
and -20 minutes to go back...

on the way back the
fire trucks were passing us...

we were following them back to our house
and each time they were making the same turn
we had to make ..........

we were getting more worried...
that it was someone on our street...

as we approched closer...we saw they were parked outside
of our house... :hs:

we just couldn't believe it.... :hs:

then you enter the denial phase....

it's very much like a death in the family
...as you pass through the phases

I have been meeting with the insurance guys..
contractors... point of origion => officials
red cross , cleaning company...
an endless parade...

i have no pictures because
the camera got melted..

we are happy to be alive....

i am un -phased ....nothing will stop me...
i will become stronger from this experience not weaker..

the other sad thing was loosing all of my mothers
paintings and of course all the sentimental things..

but all photos were saved... :btu:

all the tools were out in the barn

so mostly the 1850 farm house is lost...

and it'll all be knocked down...

and as PIEMMA said...
now you can rebuild it like the way
you want it.

in the near future when i say... anyone have a
spare spot in the boat... or on the beach
for some fishing?
i hope to hear ....yeah man --> head on up...

because as you can easily imagine...

it's going to take

a lot of time on the water
or standing it it

and some really good memories

to help make
this memorial weekend of 08
to....fade away...

thanks very very much to
my S-B family
for all your kind words...

and moral support... :wave:

bye for now....

your friend always,
Raven
ps
until i get a new ISP and the trailer set up
i'll check in occaisonally at the library.

cutchogue
05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Good to hear from you Raven.
Prayers for you and your family.
Al,

basswipe
05-27-2008, 04:38 PM
My freakin word Raven.

All I can say is this:when the painting stage of the new house is ready you call me dammit.

I might not be able to moonlight with staging and a manlift but I can bring myself and a weekend full of ass kicking painting and make the inside of your new joint look killer.No slacker on the exterior either,just need to hook up with locals who'll take me in and let me work with them and use their equipment.

BassDawg
05-27-2008, 05:21 PM
WOW, Craig!

i just got to my pc from a w/e in Rhody and

i am VERRRY sorry to hear of your loss.

THANK GOD, noone was hurt; and Star was with you?

in these tough times, please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and that we will do all that we can to help you out of this string of unfortunate events.................

i respect and admire your attitude before the fire, m'man, and your strength of character, quick wit, and faith WILL pull you and yer family through ANY and ALL challenges that have been thrust upon you. also, this community is willing and able with their support. great to hear that your place was "covered" and that the garden will be saved!!

if and when you need sum muscle during any phase of the process PLEASE shoot me a pm and i'll clear some w/e time to lend some extra hands and backbone, brother...............

AGAIN, very happy to hear that you, the missus, and Star where away at the time. had to be weird following the firetrucks right to yer front lawn :huh: :huh:

Fisherwoman
05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Hey Raven, sorry to hear of your loss, when you get squared away and are ready for some time on the water, give us a call, we will get ya out on the boat, no problem.

And yes everything you go thru does make you stronger, I know it 1st hand myself, god speed getting you both back on your feet.

Jules & Bill

Dad 818
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Raven, if there is anything we can do please let us know. I don't know how much one family can take, but keep going one day at a time. Glad all got out safely. When you get a chance check your PMs.

T&P

Dad 818

Lower
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Glad everyone is OK. I can't imagine what you are going through...keep your chin up and stay postive.

tomfrmnh
05-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Raven. Glad to hear that nobody was hurt and that your pup is okay as well. As other have said the material things can be replaced and the memories will always be there. Your sure have been tested this year and you and your family will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

InTheHole
05-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Sorry to hear the news. That just plain sucks!
Keep the positive attitude.
Remember when your at the bottom the only way to go is up!

Lbifisherman429
05-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss

JohnR
05-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Just a speedbump in life - the important thing is that you and the bride are fine!!!

Raven
05-28-2008, 03:30 PM
sitting there trying to figure out a new plan for the farm

you have to realize that the new codes are quite different

than the way things were done in 1850

for example... my house is ten feet off the road...

and the new set back law says you have to rebuild 50 feet

off the road... NOW.......... so that changes everything

we'll have to move the septic system too

to accomodate the new house... :hs:

maybe i'll create an Orchard where the old house was
because the spot is 36 feet wide by over 200 feet long

Raven
05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
look at it and then imagine it all completely Black

and everything melted

this was the previous owners furniture though ok...

library is closing

see ya soon

Goose
05-28-2008, 07:41 PM
the other sad thing was loosing all of my mothers
paintings and of course all the sentimental things..

I remember you said you lived in mattapoisett at one time....I picked up this painting in mattaposiet years ago. You mentioned this might be one of your mom's paintings? If so, its yours.

Raven
05-29-2008, 02:41 PM
is worse than the seal problem :eek:

outnumbered
05-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Raven my thoughts are with you I can't believe you can still have a sense of humor after everything.

Real happy the wife and Star are safe, the material things can be relaced, your family can't so things are already starting to look up.

Sluggoslinger
05-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Oh, Raven. I am sooo sorry. Wish i was there to lend a hand.

Thoughts and Prayers!

Raven
06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
sometimes all the crap life throws at you
is so incredibly rediculous.... :doh:

that you just have to laugh
and make fertilizer...
~
i planted 75 tomatoes ...yesterday
and a bunch of other stuff too

currently

at the library:

i'm laughing at the lady narating a kids story about ZO-MO
and one of the characters in the book is named Big Fish
who just shook so hard ......he lost all his scales
and now he is naked... :rotflmao:... oh man....:kewl:

speaking of humour

it really helped to hear something so funny

FishermanTim
06-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Isn't it weird that when we think of our memories, the ones that first come to mind are the painful ones?
It seems that you could have 100 good things happen to you and 1 bad, and the bad one is the one that stands out.
I think it boils down to human nature and the will to survive.
Think about it: Wh can vividly remember a negative event, probably so that we can try and prevent it from happening again, where as the positive ones are pushed to the "back of the pack" so that we can dwell in the happiness of having it happen again.

Isn't human nature a funny thing?

Raven, I hope you and your family (Star too!) will enjoy MANY MORE positive memeories from this point on. Heck, you've already exceeded your "negative" allotment for the next dacade or two.