View Full Version : I Suck!!!

jkjnp
05-25-2008, 02:45 PM
So it's almost June 1st and I'm officially in a major slump.

No problem find the bait, I just can't find the bass!!!
Seeing pictures and and reading about nice bass is killing me!

A bunch of you are talking about the class of 1998 and the fact there are a lot of 18lb-20lb bass in the bay right now...To me it seems like there are many fewer bass in the bay period than the past 2 years at this time.

How do you work your way out of a slump??

Adam_777
05-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Change your routine to the opposite of what your doing now.If you fish the rocks all the time then move to the beach.If you fish plugs only toss out some bait.Move to another spot.Fish different tides and different times of the day.This routine worked for me last year after a slump and turned out to be a great learning experience.

JohnR
05-25-2008, 02:50 PM

Get your bait wicked early in the morning, spend more time on productive mornings and save those NW High Pressure afternoons for napping. Stack the deck in your favor

jkjnp
05-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Get your bait wicked early in the morning, spend more time on productive mornings and save those NW High Pressure afternoons for napping. Stack the deck in your favor

Yep...on the water by 5am yesterday, by 6 with my father today... from what I gather lots of fish are being taken between 4:30 and 5am.
Guess I need to get there earlier!! Problem is I've got a 35minute drive to the water

piemma
05-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Yep...on the water by 5am yesterday, by 6 with my father today... from what I gather lots of fish are being taken between 4:30 and 5am.
Guess I need to get there earlier!! Problem is I've got a 35minute drive to the water

I have been getting up at 2:30 AM. I have an hour drive to my boat.

Early is best. I hade my pogies by 4:30 AM this morning and was headed south.

jmonte45
05-25-2008, 05:49 PM
please send them pogies up north, the macs are too few this year...Wasting too much time jigging for them.

zacs
05-25-2008, 05:51 PM
it gets light SO early now that by 5AM the sun is RISING! Gotta get out super early, or late I guess depending on how you look at it.

blue oyster
05-25-2008, 07:45 PM
i feel your pain , i went out in my boat friday and saturday morning , got some macks and fished all my favorite places , nothing , i tried fishing outside ,inside and even up a river and only had 1 dropped fish for all that work . i don't know if it's because of the cold spring or what ? but according to my records we should be knee deep in 20-30# by now up in the boston area :confused:

BigFish
05-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Those fish are out there Joe! I am hearing and seeing reports and pics of some bona-fide big girls coming from Boston Harbor! Keep Mackin' Daddy!

Adam_777
05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Just got in from a local spot.Two hits and no hookups.Had my son with me.We were testing my new lami XSRA 1084-2 .The 1-4 rating seems a little high.Was tossing 1.5 way out with the wind whipping good.I'm not sure I'd go much over 3 with it with any force behind it.The 711 greeny fits it nicely.

Back Beach
05-26-2008, 03:57 AM
So it's almost June 1st and I'm officially in a major slump.

No problem find the bait, I just can't find the bass!!!
Seeing pictures and and reading about nice bass is killing me!

A bunch of you are talking about the class of 1998 and the fact there are a lot of 18lb-20lb bass in the bay right now...To me it seems like there are many fewer bass in the bay period than the past 2 years at this time.

Don't get discouraged. If you want piece of good advice do as I do and count your fish in December.There will be plenty of ups and downs during the season.

Take it from someone who has endured countless skunkings.:btu:

Backbeach Jake
05-26-2008, 07:32 AM
"Don't get discouraged. If you want piece of good advice do as I do and count your fish in December.There will be plenty of ups and downs during the season."

Best bit of advice I've seen on fishing.

WadingWill
05-26-2008, 07:57 AM
When I get in a bad slump I find the best thing to do is take a few days off. It clears my head and gives me time to think about what I'm doing wrong. Then when I go back I'm fresh and more willing to try new things.

jkjnp
05-26-2008, 08:32 AM
I have been getting up at 2:30 AM. I have an hour drive to my boat.

Early is best. I hade my pogies by 4:30 AM this morning and was headed south.

Piemma--

Saw you on the water around 10am yesterday after I said hi to RI Jimmy...Guess I've got to get up earlier!! What's killing me is my routine has been producing fore the last two years. Time to change!

Joe
05-26-2008, 08:43 AM
So you're applying a strategy that has worked in the past but is not working this year?
Easy deduction: You're in the wrong spot.
If you can't figure it out, maybe you need to make friends with someone who has a pulse on the fish or follow them - by all accounts the boat guys who are in the know are nailing them this year.

Notaro
05-26-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm back from RIT and I just freaking sucked yesterday! :( What's up y'all?

piemma
05-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Piemma--

Saw you on the water around 10am yesterday after I said hi to RI Jimmy...Guess I've got to get up earlier!! What's killing me is my routine has been producing fore the last two years. Time to change!

Where did you see me? If it was around where RIJ was then you know how far South I went.....

I'll tell you, it was wild out there this morning. 4 footers around Warwick Light at 7:00 AM. I hear that the White Ghost came in this afternoon with 6 to 8 footers.

jkjnp
05-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Where did you see me? If it was around where RIJ was then you know how far South I went.....

Yep. It was right there... that area was unbelievably productive for me last year at this time--both with pogies and plugs--this past weekend I only had one small bass play with a pogie. I was with my wife and parents and gave a wave, but I think your were on the phone. We have a Sea Hunt too--the Triton 212.

RIJIMMY
05-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Jonas - got a 22lb this morning, same spot. Lots of chases but only one taker.
4 days on the water and only 2 fish, not complaining but I was expecting better.
Don't fret, its early still.

RIJIMMY
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
just to rub in a little....my son got his first bass Sunday afternoon. I'll post pics later.

5 String Bass
05-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the slump club! So far I've only picked up a handful of schoolies for lots of time on the water. Seeing pictures of big fatties all over the net is killing me too. Just gotta keep plugin' (so to speak). Your day will come and you wont care about the times you didnt catch.

RIROCKHOUND
05-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Don't get discouraged. If you want piece of good advice do as I do and count your fish in December.There will be plenty of ups and downs during the season.
Take it from someone who has endured countless skunkings.:btu:

I agree.
off to a slow start, but it will change like a light switch, still have to be out there!!!

jkjnp
05-26-2008, 08:49 PM
just to rub in a little....my son got his first bass Sunday afternoon. I'll post pics later.

Jim that's awesome!!! I tried to call you again on Sunday---we came across a huge school of small blues that I figured would be a lot of fun for your kids...never thought I'd be chasing blues in May!

Was so down after this weekend's bass fishing that Carolyn and I went on the Frances Fleet squid trip Sunday night--what an experience!! Never done anything like it--lots of fun and we came home with 100 squid...Fried a bunch up today. It was great and I've got fluke bait for the summer!

jonas

piemma
05-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Jonas:
Now I know who you are! You are correct, I was on the phone....with Raven! he called me to tell me about the fire.

Next time we will can stop and compare notes.
BTW, I monitor CH 65.

Congrats RIJ!!!

surfflyfish
05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
think like a fish.
in spring time i love to work the rips,because bass are hungry and they're in the ambush mode. look for fast currents spots incoming tide and outgoing tide.
you have to be at that spot 3-4 hours before high tide.
but the major factor is current,in my opinion.fish move with current not tides ,currents.:bounce:

BassDawg
05-28-2008, 06:34 PM
chin up, jknp!

the New is on its way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:heybaby: :heybaby:

and with it "should" come a change in yer feeshing fortunes.

the earlier dawns calls for earlier arrival to your Spot.
for me on the NShore, go time is 0300 to 0600,
45 driving mins to my spot, 3/4 mile walk, then it's ~~~

:fishin: :fishin: !!FISH AWWWN!! :fishin: :fishin:

have yet to hit the honey hole, but this weekend
will be eeeeeeeels and sluggos and chunks during the deep dark, and
sum high quality AYC from Gray to First Light, hope to start the season off right with sumthin' worth weighing :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

EarnedStripes44
05-29-2008, 10:54 AM
it gets light SO early now that by 5AM the sun is RISING! Gotta get out super early, or late I guess depending on how you look at it.

I usually leave for fishing (on the weekends) after the pub. I'm on the water by 3, 3:30 the latest.

piemma
05-29-2008, 04:42 PM
I usually leave for fishing (on the weekends) after the pub. I'm on the water by 3, 3:30 the latest.

I hope to hell you WORK at the pub. Not a good visual of you driving to your boat and then driving your boat after being in a a pub till closing