View Full Version : fri macks/cod, room for 1

niko
05-28-2008, 01:34 PM
launching from hull at first light. here's the deal guys. between fuel costs and boat expences i need to start fishing less by myself. i've got a few regulars who i fish with, but during the week it's tough to find guys who are able. i run a small boat so chipping in is usually short money, but helps alot. like most of us here i've got an addiction that needs to be fed and with the amount of time i spend screwing off from work every little bit helps. as a bonus i've meet some great guys from the site.

FishermanTim
05-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Just be aware that if you are asking for money, even if just for fuel, you could be considered a "boat for hire", and thus be required to have a charter license. I hate to sound like a pain, but with fuel becoming more and more expensive, charter boats are taking a hit in their wallets when they lose customers because of the increased cost per person. Since you would potentially be taking money away from other charters, I'd just be cautious when approching the subject of "chipping in".
You may want to "ask for donations" to help defray the cost (for example).

In any case, I hope you find good fish.

spinncognito
05-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Just be aware that if you are asking for money, even if just for fuel, you could be considered a "boat for hire", and thus be required to have a charter license. I hate to sound like a pain, but with fuel becoming more and more expensive, charter boats are taking a hit in their wallets when they lose customers because of the increased cost per person. Since you would potentially be taking money away from other charters, I'd just be cautious when approching the subject of "chipping in".
You may want to "ask for donations" to help defray the cost (for example).

In any case, I hope you find good fish.

I will respectfully disagree. Asking for fuel/bait assitance from friends haldly constitutes a "boat for hire" and it is highly doubtful that charter operations will lose out on customers.

Niko, I am on the N. Shore and although I cannot get out Friday, I would like to hook up sometime to fish so keep asking!

spin

FishermanTim
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I will respectfully disagree. Asking for fuel/bait assitance from friends haldly constitutes a "boat for hire" and it is highly doubtful that charter operations will lose out on customers.

I can't argue with that. I have gone out on a friends boat, and I have offered to help cover the cost of the fuel.
I probably should have been clearer and stated that you may not want to broadcast that you are "asking" for $$ within earshot of someone that would be willing and able to create a problem for the boat owwner. Keep in mind that there are some people hellbent on creating problems for others simply because they are doing something to better their own situation.
Bottom line, I would suggest talking $$ before you hit the boat, and would probably not braodcast it online (just to be safe).

niko
05-28-2008, 04:29 PM
don't let this turn ugly boys. i don't NEED the hassle. i am no "boat for hire". anyone who thinks so i will gladly use as chum. you will see these posts all season so no one should get thier panties in a bunch. i just want to fish.

FishermanTim
05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
don't let this turn ugly boys. i don't NEED the hassle. i am no "boat for hire". anyone who thinks so i will gladly use as chum. you will see these posts all season so no one should get thier panties in a bunch. i just want to fish.

Sorry if my comments were taken as an accusation. They weren't mean to sound that way. I have no problem with someone taking his friends out and having them help cover the cost of fuel. Heck, isn't that what carpoolers do?
I was only wanted to present a "what could happen" senario, based on the current fuel/economic climate we find ourselves in.
Once again, I am sorry if I sounded like I was lecturing.

Hope you find some great fishing when you head out.

niko
05-28-2008, 04:59 PM
fishpooling, that's great. no problem tim.

planter
05-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Rock On Niko!! What a great deal. I always offer and usually expect my chums to chip in. It is pretty much a given to at least offer to help out with fuel, food, cold ones ect.
Do you trailer Niko or are you down at the rock? Good luck on Friday and I sure wish I could weasal out of work. Nothing like a freezer full of macks for the season.

niko
05-28-2008, 06:42 PM
i used to have a slip but between the cost and the fact that i found it limited my fishing to local waters i gave it up. nowadays i trailer and i've never looked back. sometimes you have to go to the fish so to speak. i like the fact that i can mix it up and target alot of different species. it's almost fluke time, i can't wait

freebie
05-28-2008, 08:17 PM
one of these days I'll take a sick day niko, fridays are a no no where I work though, I do have every other monday this summer though, maybe just once the wind will lay down for me on a day off

eelskimmer
05-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Niko,

Would join youse in a New York minute but got a son
grads from UMass on Friday. Ignore Fisherman Tim--
keep posting when you need company. Tight lines.

:gorez:

davisd
05-29-2008, 10:20 AM
:fishin:Hey Eelskimmer how's it going? So guys it is like if we carpool we are taking business away from the bus company's and the "T" ya right!

niko
05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
boat is full. next trip will be for bass

davisd
05-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Good luck guys!!!

niko
05-29-2008, 06:11 PM
i'll post some pix if we do well

rickhern
05-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Had a blast Niko, loads of Maks, a few bass(one with a big chunk missing from it's back, will post pics ASAP) and a bunch of doggies when we tried for some cod. Great whale show!! If anyone gets the opportunity to fish with Niko, jump on it. Great guy who really knows his stuff and enjoys the experience.

Thanks again,

Rick

Thom
05-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Niko Not to be a party popper I have seen this brought up by more than a few people. Just be careful what you ask for and make sure you know so stuff about everybody on your boat. ThomT

kayaman
05-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Had a great time niko... thanks again.... man my arms are sore today from all the jigging.... and hey...if you need another person again... don't hesitate to drop me a note...great fishing with you and rick

kayaman
05-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Niko Not to be a party popper I have seen this brought up by more than a few people. Just be careful what you ask for and make sure you know so stuff about everybody on your boat. ThomT

actually... we didn't get to use any poppers....:1poke:

niko
05-31-2008, 03:16 PM
hi thom, do you mean there have been people in the past who have put up posts looking for guys and gotton in trouble for asking for $ towards gas? or is there a question about me trying to run some sort of back door charter business?

kenyee
05-31-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm puzzled by this as well. Sounds like Niko just wants to meet some of the folks on the forum who should really offer to chip in for gas. I always offer to do that for friends who invite me on their boats anyways so I don't see how that can be an offer to charter, even to the coast guard. Niko isn't making a profit which is my definition of a charter...

niko
05-31-2008, 05:33 PM
:huh: i just don't get what the beef is. if it helps to get guys some boat time and helps me a little - then what's the issue? it's a win/win. i'm trying not to take this personally. to those who don't like what i'm doing - come fish w/ me sometime. then judge me. thanks for the support from those that give it. now i know why some guys gave up posting

Clammer
05-31-2008, 05:57 PM
it must be the zoo or the trucks ????

niko
05-31-2008, 06:07 PM
the zoo was great you should have come. we could have stole a monkey. thanks again

freebie
05-31-2008, 06:55 PM
anyone that has a beef with Niko needs to take their head out of their behind, he's probably one of the better more respectable boat fishermen on this forum, if you want to learn go out with him, and for the record, with fuel prices what they are this year I wouldn't step on someone elses boat without expecting to chip in for costs, you guys need to stop giving people a hard time over nothing, if you feel the need to post stupid crap then post in the so you're at you're favorite spot posts.....

Squid kids Dad
05-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Keep up what your doing..I see no harm in it..Someday I hope to take you up on your offer....:jump:

BigBo
05-31-2008, 08:27 PM
I want to fish with Niko and I'd gladly share expenses. :jump:

Raider Ronnie
05-31-2008, 08:39 PM
anyone that has a beef with Niko needs to take their head out of their behind, he's probably one of the better more respectable boat fishermen on this forum, if you want to learn go out with him, and for the record, with fuel prices what they are this year I wouldn't step on someone elses boat without expecting to chip in for costs, you guys need to stop giving people a hard time over nothing, if you feel the need to post stupid crap then post in the so you're at you're favorite spot posts.....

Sorry,but you guys are dead wrong!
As soon as you accept $ you are considered a "Vessel for hire"
The coast guard will tell you this also!
As a Licensed captain, and paying high cost of liability ins, having to have/carry costly required safety gear, ect.....
I have no problem with this,and I've met Niko and he's a great guy and I'm sure can catch fish.
but if I were you, I would not go posting asking for $$$.
Also, just consider what could happen if you take out a complete stranger and the worst case happens, they get hurt or killed ....
Just me 2cents !

kenyee
05-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Also, just consider what could happen if you take out a complete stranger and the worst case happens, they get hurt or killed

How is this any different from going on a friends boat and getting hurt? :p

BigBo
05-31-2008, 08:58 PM
And it's not like he's taking money to profit. It's just sharing expenses.

niko
05-31-2008, 09:14 PM
f this shet. let this die right here and now. no more posts. i will never post any more "room for 1" posts. not worth the aggrevation. it's a shame. WTF. i just want to fish:wall:

stripersnipr
06-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Sorry,but you guys are dead wrong!
As soon as you accept $ you are considered a "Vessel for hire"
The coast guard will tell you this also!
As a Licensed captain, and paying high cost of liability ins, having to have/carry costly required safety gear, ect.....
I have no problem with this,and I've met Niko and he's a great guy and I'm sure can catch fish.
but if I were you, I would not go posting asking for $$$.
Also, just consider what could happen if you take out a complete stranger and the worst case happens, they get hurt or killed ....
Just me 2cents !

Sharing the cost of fuel does not define a vessel as "for hire". As far someone getting hurt or killed the same rules apply as when your transporting any passensger in your car. The fact that they chipped in a few bucks for gas changes nothing.

MarshCappa
06-01-2008, 08:33 AM
I see both pints but lean towards Niko. I never have gone on a "friends" boat and not chipped in. He's not doing this as a livelyhood and isn't making a profit. If it was a daily thing that would be different. He's an a very experienced recreational fisherman that is extending a welcoming hand to other members here. I don't think he is taking money or charters away from anyone in my eyes. If I wasn't such a pu&%^#$@y on the big water :yak: I'd take him up on it. On that note if you ever want a ride on the skiff for inshore action you're more than welcome. PM sent Niko. I hope you continue to post your trip reports though. It's good reading about a local doing good things out there.

thefishingfreak
06-02-2008, 06:52 AM
just tell em the fishing and the ride out is free.. the ride home is gunna cost you :scream:

I think everyone gets the point here..
Niko is not a charter boat.. he's looking for someone to split costs with.
legally... No, he can't make paying money a stipulation. but "legally" there's a lot worse things that go on than asking for money when fuel is 4.55 a gallon on the water.

Now where's the fishing report NIko? :huh:

FishermanTim
06-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Sharing the cost of fuel does not define a vessel as "for hire". As far someone getting hurt or killed the same rules apply as when your transporting any passensger in your car. The fact that they chipped in a few bucks for gas changes nothing.

I mentioned in an earlier post it should be considered like carpooling.
The main difference would be that ANY consideration of $$ changing hands (voluntarily) would be handled either before or after the trip.

This IS NOT, and SHOULD NOT be directed at NIKO. He just happened to be a generous guy wanting to share the fun of fishing, and got caught in the middle of this somewhat heated discussion.

Let's put this dog to rest, and get out and fish!

BW from AZ
06-02-2008, 01:37 PM
fishpooling, I'm in. pm sent

niko
06-02-2008, 06:10 PM
the report is pretty boring a few coolers of macks and a few small keepers. rick had a cool bass w/ a big a$$ chunk out of him. this pesky work thing will have me tied up for a bit. the freezer is now loaded to the gills and it time to start targeting some other critters. bass, fluke, sea bass, flounder,pogies be warned - i will soon be coming for you. i'm an easy guy to find if anyone wants to come out and play. i'm sure i'll post a new report soon enough - i get the shakes if i'm off the water too long. thanks to all, i've learned a few things in the process, some good-some not- that's lfe. tight lines, paul

Raider Ronnie
06-02-2008, 09:19 PM

I wasn't looking to start a war, just trying to explain how it is.
Nothing wrong with people offering to share cost,
But a tread starting out with someone ASKING for $$$ and putting it on the world wide web for the whole world to read is not a good idea and absolutely makes you a vessel for hire according to coast guard rules.
This topic has been covered MANY times on many forums, (just go on thehulltruth and do a search !)
As for the possibility of someone getting hurt, anything can and does happen out on the water (sharp hooks , knifes, weather kicks up ect.......)
You man never know it, but could get a scum bag ambulance chasing
lawyer type or even a Boston Fireman looking for another disability opportunity :hihi: